How the F did Reggie Wayne get so open

jonramz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it wasent?

No. It was zone all the way and Barnett didn't execute his assignment. It was hard to tell exactly why until seeing the all-22 view. jonramz nailed it. It was straight quarters coverage underneath and Barnett should have dropped to the numbers at the twenty yard line and waited. He needed to concede anything underneath that point which is why he shouldn't have worried about the RB.

GO BILLS!!!

There are conflicting theories about how a team should cover their opponents best receiver. Some match up their best corner against the other team's best WR. Other teams put their best CB on the other teams 2nd best receiver, and double their best. It seemed like Wayne was single covered during the game, so when the pass rush didn't get to Luck, Wayne was able to get open.

No matter how it happened...It should never happen...

You can't let the Colts best WR beat you on a 3rd and 17...You just can't...It's not like The Bills or any other Team does not understand that Reggie Wayne is the #1 threat...Especially on 3rd and long...If another receiver beats you in that situation because you're paying more attention to Wayne, then so be it...But Wayne can't beat you there...And he did...

And that's yet another example of why this Defense can't turn the corner...Whether it's poor calls, poor execution, or both...It seems to always be something with this bunch...

And yes Barnett is done...He looks like he's running in quicksand on some plays...He's history... B-)

Too much cushion not being aggresive! Look how Ray Rice got that first down.....way too much cushion!

actually quite the opposite - if they sat back there, instead of going after the RB, they would have had wayne covered. the zones werent too deep, its that it was abandoned.

There are conflicting theories about how a team should cover their opponents best receiver. Some match up their best corner against the other team's best WR. Other teams put their best CB on the other teams 2nd best receiver, and double their best. It seemed like Wayne was single covered during the game, so when the pass rush didn't get to Luck, Wayne was able to get open.

in this case, it was a simple zone coverage that wasnt executed. it wasnt that he beat his man, its that no one was there to pick him up.

Puzzling indeed. From watching this year it appears on 3rd and long Coach Wannstedt likes to have the LBs etc play back at the line to get and try to get the QB to throw short. Why would Barnett come in and cover the short guy? That's the guy we want Luck to throw to. Leave him open and tackle him before he get to the marker. Probably would have worked if he did what he was supposed to.

Puzzling indeed. From watching this year it appears on 3rd and long Coach Wannstedt likes to have the LBs etc play back at the line to get and try to get the QB to throw short. Why would Barnett come in and cover the short guy? That's the guy we want Luck to throw to. Leave him open and tackle him before he get to the marker. Probably would have worked if he did what he was supposed to.

I agree. His mistake sticks out like a sore thumb with all the other underneath defenders set up and playing their quarters at around the 20. Barnett's absence is glaring and that alone created the space for Wayne and Luck. He made it too easy for them.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree. His mistake sticks out like a sore thumb with all the other underneath defenders set up and playing their quarters at around the 20. Barnett's absence is glaring and that alone created the space for Wayne and Luck. He made it too easy for them.

GO BILLS!!!

my only guess is he lost wayne so he thought his zone would stay empty, and was worried about giving up fg range to the rb - it certainly appears freelance on his part.

Edited by NoSaint

after going through some old playbooks, it looks like the Bills were in Cover 3 and made an adjustment to account for the trips. In this particular adjustment Barnett has the RB if he goes out into the pattern away from the trips side. Which is why he said the breakdown is wrong. I will contend, however that the RB's 2 yard pattern is not a concern on 3rd and 17 and he should have stayed back. The middle defender, in this case Bryan Scott is the defender responsible for the fast 6 route that Wayne ran.

All that is a long way of saying, technically Barnett is not at fault, but still made a bad football play in my opinion as the RB was no threat at all

Edited by jonramz

after going through some old playbooks, it looks like the Bills were in Cover 3 and made an adjustment to account for the trips. In this particular adjustment Barnett has the RB if he goes out into the pattern away from the trips side. Which is why he said the breakdown is wrong. I will contend, however that the RB's 2 yard pattern is not a concern on 3rd and 17 and he should have stayed back. The middle defender, in this case Bryan Scott is the defender responsible for the fast 6 route that Wayne ran.

All that is a long way of saying, technically Barnett is not at fault, but still made a bad football play in my opinion as the RB was no threat at all

Ah - so Barnett made a silly break, and Scott - our coverage lb- blew it worse. I wouldnt be a bit shocked if Barnett blew it out of habit still, and not assignment on this snap

The worst part being we probably ran this D about 10+ times Sunday. Basic cover 3, with a 4 man rush? It should've been a bread and butter play

Edited by NoSaint

Thank you NFL for opening up the All-22 Pandora's Box. There's something to be said about not visiting the sausage factory.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and it does open some eyes. Interesting that Barnett would publicly respond, which is a no win situation. In a blown play like that, someone obviously made a mistake. By coming out, he's publicly saying that the safeties screwed up.

My question upon seeing the first screen shots is why would Barnett stay in his designated quarter for the whole play when he has no assigned player. The interesting part was that the two defenders are planted in the middle without caring about #87 running behind them, and only two guys coming out underneath. In that coverage, you had 4 guys covering 2 guys peeling off the line. To the uninitiated, it would seem that one of the two middle backers would have responsibility to trail Wayne across the field (because logic would dictate that Luck wouldn't have enough time to complete the ball to Wayne running the entire width of the field).

Thank you NFL for opening up the All-22 Pandora's Box. There's something to be said about not visiting the sausage factory.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown and it does open some eyes. Interesting that Barnett would publicly respond, which is a no win situation. In a blown play like that, someone obviously made a mistake. By coming out, he's publicly saying that the safeties screwed up.

My question upon seeing the first screen shots is why would Barnett stay in his designated quarter for the whole play when he has no assigned player. The interesting part was that the two defenders are planted in the middle without caring about #87 running behind them, and only two guys coming out underneath. In that coverage, you had 4 guys covering 2 guys peeling off the line. To the uninitiated, it would seem that one of the two middle backers would have responsibility to trail Wayne across the field (because logic would dictate that Luck wouldn't have enough time to complete the ball to Wayne running the entire width of the field).

Yeah I feel bad that I missed the adjustment and said Barnett blew it... he didn't. I still don't think it was the optimal play though as he really doesn't need to jump the check down so hard on 3rd and 17. In this particular adjustment, the CB opposite trips plays man, the CB to trips has the deep 1/3 to his side the FS has the middle of the field, the nickel corner takes anything underneath towards the sideline, the middle backer (Scott) is supposed to get depth and take the inside breaking route, finally the WLB is supposes to get the 1st crosser or the RB on a flare.

Sorry this was a bit technical but that's the adjustment they made.

-Jon

gentlemen

One of the more interesting and enjoyable dialaogues i have read here.

thank you for that indeed.

Breaking down plays and players is much more fulfilling that the "fire everyone somebody !" shitstorms that show up in times of duress.

Nick has been trending down this year. He looked much faster side to side last year. Play recognition was good for the most part.

He has been trending down. Teams are starting to pick on him. Hell one game they went at him 3 times. in the same set of downs!

I have to say coaching on this. Because it's becoming habit. 3rd and long. we must have bad #s for that statistic.

edit i mean to say that coaching has allowed linebackers to continue fail under 3rd and longs, not in fact this play. Just an accumulation of troubles with our pass cover LBs as a whole right now

Edited by 3rdand12

Yeah I feel bad that I missed the adjustment and said Barnett blew it... he didn't. I still don't think it was the optimal play though as he really doesn't need to jump the check down so hard on 3rd and 17. In this particular adjustment, the CB opposite trips plays man, the CB to trips has the deep 1/3 to his side the FS has the middle of the field, the nickel corner takes anything underneath towards the sideline, the middle backer (Scott) is supposed to get depth and take the inside breaking route, finally the WLB is supposes to get the 1st crosser or the RB on a flare.

Sorry this was a bit technical but that's the adjustment they made.

-Jon

When you say trips, you mean 11 personnel?