Tank Carder tweets cause stir

PromoTheRobot

I hear what you're saying. But isn't the hypersensitivity just the inevitable other side of the coin? Should denigrating remarks just simply be ignored by those that find them offensive? This is what happens when free speech meets more free speech.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed - he has the right to say what he wants, people have the right to respond with what they want. odds are ill disagree with a lot of people on both sides - but the discussion shouldnt be silenced either.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A one-game suspension would be ridiculous, yes, but so is your reaction to his tweets. They're offensive and demonstrate a lack of professionalism and intelligence.

And I respectfully disagree. I have many gay and lesbian clients, many are very good friends and are laid back, fun and friendly people. But to have an LGT Spokesperson come out and call for a one game suspension for a tweet??...it is this radical, extreme, "we are victimized" mentality that turns so many people off to their group.

"You people"...there, I said it. "Gays"...there I said it. "Homos"....there I said it. They are friggin words. Just like when the kid in 3rd grade said I had big ears. Or my italian roommate in college said I was a dumb irishman. Just like liberals called Sarah Palin a "dumb broad" and our President George Bush "stupid". People need to stop relying on government remedies and resources (for all of their various community/support groups) and for all of their problems, suck it up. If you don't like what the fool said, untweet him or unsubscribe. Damn folks, we got bigger issues nowadays than to make sure the gay community isn't "hurt" by some linebacker's comment on Twitter.

YE OLE was speaking to a more general set of circumstances that are going on in our country today. That said, with regard specifically to the Tank, you are correct. It doesn't seem that anyone is threatening to jail him.

mostly i was getting at the fact that i believe that employers should have the right to distance themselves from employees actions and protect their brands (suspension, firing etc....), while i think the government should very much not be involved in this (the jail option)

Just because someone doesn't believe in homosexuality doesn't make them a bad person... PC America gone amok...

Homosexuality isn't a fictional character named Jesus or some ancient BS propaganda called the bible, you cant "believe" in it. it is real.

I hear what you're saying. But isn't the hypersensitivity just the inevitable other side of the coin? Should denigrating remarks just simply be ignored by those that find them offensive? This is what happens when free speech meets more free speech.

GO BILLS!!!

It just seems there's so much pro gay propaganda that our kids and us are forced into assuming that is Normal.

Glee, all of bravo, among other shows glamorizes "gaydom" much like cigarettes used to be glamorized.

Not saying I care if someone is or isn't. Doesn't bother me, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone the way it is.

Wasn't many guys making out on tv 10 years ago

It just seems there's so much pro gay propaganda that our kids and us are forced into assuming that is Normal.

Glee, all of bravo, among other shows glamorizes "gaydom" much like cigarettes used to be glamorized.

Not saying I care if someone is or isn't. Doesn't bother me, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone the way it is.

i dont see many making out on TV now either. i also dont feel forced into it, anymore than i would feel forced into an interracial relationship for instance. ie i dont feel it forced on me at all. i feel very free to pursue my love of women that i find attractive as a completely normal thing. if someone else digs something else, than so be it - its just as normal, frankly.

A one-game suspension would be ridiculous, yes, but so is your reaction to his tweets. They're offensive and demonstrate a lack of professionalism and intelligence.

their just words, and why apologize if he really doesn't mean it? I don't agree with him, but its only an issue if WE make it one. Ignore it, and it will go away. Suspend him? No. But if his views, witch he has every right to, go against the company he works for (Browns) they can release him.

Lots of bad posts on this thread.

First off, many of you don't understand what "free speech" means. The First Amendment is a restriction on the Federal Goverment's ability to regulate private speech. Private employers, such as the Cleveland Browns, are not subject to the First Amendment.

Please read that last paragraph again and let it sink in - this is taught in elementary school, yet many of you do not seem to have absorbed it.

Second, even if Tank's speech in this case was subject to the First Amendment (which it is not; see above), it likely would still not be protected. Again, many of you people seem to fundamentally misunderstand what is involved here. You are not protected if you use threatening speech ("I'm going to kill you"), panic-inducing speech (shouting "fire" in a crowded theater), or using inflammatory hate speech in certain contexts, i.e., name-calling as opposed to expressing an opinion. Those of you piling on the anti-PC inferno: Tank Carder called someone a "faggot" on Twitter. Do you think if he called someone a "n---er" that the Browns/NFL would be out of bounds in suspending him? I doubt it... The fact is, there is a difference between expressing an opinion, and using a derogatory term to incite. He did the latter, not the former, and it likely wouldn't be protected speech anyhow.

Finally, the comment that "not everyone believes in homosexuality" is idiotic. It's one thing to be against gay marriage (putting aside that there is not a single compelling reason why anyone would oppose it, other than the fact that the thought of it grosses them out and "the Bible said it"), but quite another to "not believe in homosexuality." If it is really your "belief" that no one is really gay, then I have to say, you are such a moron you should not be allowed to vote, drive, reproduce, or speak. And yes that is my opinion - you're just dumb as a bag of rocks.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

No way he should be suspended for exercising free speech. As offensive as it may be to some.

That said, if I owned a pro sports franchise I would prohibit the use of twitter and other forms of social media by my employees. While that may be draconian, it would be necessary to protect my brand from the unintended consequences of those that have to share every thought they have any time they have the urge.

Like all other forms of mass media, social media networks have great potential but are mostly a vast wasteland of crap.

GO BILLS!!!

Are those two positions compatible? You defend his right to free speech, but wish to limit the methods in which he can speak? Would you prohibit him from going out into the town square (or even Times Square) and saying the same things?

Homosexuality isn't a fictional character named Jesus or some ancient BS propaganda called the bible, you cant "believe" in it. it is real.

Something else is real is the right to free speech and the protections of religion in this country as well, and not some BS PC propaganda to try and subvert it by making everyone believe homosexuality is "normal".

Gay is normal, there is nothing wrong with it. Who the hell are you to decide what is normal? Just because you're too small and weak to accept people for who they are, doesn't give you the right to decide ****.

Lots of bad posts on this thread.

First off, many of you don't understand what "free speech" means. The First Amendment is a restriction on the Federal Goverment's ability to regulate private speech. Private employers, such as the Cleveland Browns, are not subject to the First Amendment.

Please read that last paragraph again and let it sink in - this is taught in elementary school, yet many of you do not seem to have absorbed it.

Second, even if Tank's speech in this case was subject to the First Amendment (which it is not; see above), it likely would still not be protected. Again, many of you people seem to fundamentally misunderstand what is involved here. You are not protected if you use threatening speech ("I'm going to kill you"), panic-inducing speech (shouting "fire" in a crowded theater), or using inflammatory hate speech in certain contexts, i.e., name-calling as opposed to expressing an opinion. Those of you piling on the anti-PC inferno: Tank Carder called someone a "faggot" on Twitter. Do you think if he called someone a "n---er" that the Browns/NFL would be out of bounds in suspending him? I doubt it... The fact is, there is a difference between expressing an opinion, and using a derogatory term to incite. He did the latter, not the former, and it likely wouldn't be protected speech anyhow.

Finally, the comment that "not everyone believes in homosexuality" is idiotic. It's one thing to be against gay marriage (putting aside that there is not a single compelling reason why anyone would oppose it, other than the fact that the thought of it grosses them out and "the Bible said it"), but quite another to "not believe in homosexuality." If it is really your "belief" that no one is really gay, then I have to say, you are such a moron you should not be allowed to vote, drive, reproduce, or speak. And yes that is my opinion - you're just dumb as a bag of rocks.

ive been doing more of the short posts trying to reply to specifics, instead of a comprehensive long one like this but.... yes.

That's right, just like interracial couples making out wasn't on TV in the 50s. It was "forced on" society and now it's accepted as commonplace everywhere but the deepest pockets of hicksville in the south. And you know what? So will homosexuality in the very near future. You should deal with it. It's not being "forced on" you and your kids (and even if it was, it's not going to "turn them gay"). Please, evolve your ideas a bit.

Their are drug users, wife beaters, maybe even a murderer In the NFL. One little man and his mouth are what people are going to use as a soap box.

and we hear about those all the time. its not a rare conversation. until the wife beaters are dealt with, no other conversations can take place?

their just words, and why apologize if he really doesn't mean it? I don't agree with him, but its only an issue if WE make it one. Ignore it, and it will go away. Suspend him? No. But if his views, witch he has every right to, go against the company he works for (Browns) they can release him.

I get what you're saying but to some people, they aren't just words. It's like why some people feel the need to say the n word. Who the hell are you to say what offends people? Personally, I think people who are so uptight about people's races, sex, religion, sexuality are just losers and shelter. As a straight male, I wish every other guy was gay. Better odds for me.

Also, the people who are really uptight are secretly hiding something. Perhaps, Tank looked around the shower room and start thinking about being on the business end of one and had to prove his manhood. I guess it's right to say what he wants but I'm glad the Bills got rid of him now.

Something else is real is the right to free speech and the protections of religion in this country as well, and not some BS PC propaganda to try and subvert it by making everyone believe homosexuality is "normal".

Ok, I'll sum up:

1) You don't even understand what "the right to free speech" means. You have no clue what it is. Did you graduate high school?

2) There is no "PC propoganda" advocating homosexuality. There are gay people who would like to stop being subverted.

3) Homosexuality is normal. People are born that way. Sooner or later, you'll have to deal with that.

Ok, I'll sum up:

1) You don't even understand what "the right to free speech" means. You have no clue what it is. Did you graduate high school?

2) There is no "PC propoganda" advocating homosexuality. There are gay people who would like to stop being subverted.

3) Homosexuality is normal. People are born that way. Sooner or later, you'll have to deal with that.

1. I do understand it, and just because you disagree with how I exercise that right doesn't make you the Almighty Judge of my educational background.

2. No one is subverting anything if they speak out against it- in fact, it is what you do in a democracy. Those people aren't doing anything wrong.

3. Homosexuality is NOT normal, and hasn't been normal for thousands of years. It just didn't become normal in the past 10 years. Get over your agenda!

Edited by BmoreBills