Would 8-8 Be a Good Year?

Storm Front

I would like to see them go 8-8, but I am not feeling it. There were plenty of games that I felt should have gone our way, just to be disappointed. Not sure if a new QB would make a difference or maybe one more year of trying to work together. I am just tired though of saying "Maybe next year", been saying that for far too long

Yes. 8-8 would be a good year, and be a sign of positive progress made by Chan (4-12, 6-10, 8-8). I haven't been thrilled with Chan's playcalling of late, but barring a complete collapse I think he deserves at least one more year. Also remember, turnarounds do not happen overnight. Just look at Jeff Fisher - I think it took him five years to break .500 with the Titans.

8-8 would simply just be "an improvement" over the previous two years. But with this being the third year of the current regime, the team should be better than just eeking out a 500 season. Its the same old same old for 13 yrs. Again, I see a lack of killer instinct in finishing teams off when they do have a lead late, and find ways to fall short when they try to come from behind to win. The same malaise over and over again.

Lets hope for the best the rest of the way. Go Bills!

Flynn burned a bottom-5 pass defense with the Packers' receivers at his disposal. That's not to discredit his performance, but a guy like Alex Smith has shown far more than Flynn (having taken the 49ers to the NFC Championship). If we could get Flynn's contract restructured and trade something like a 4th or 5th for him, it would be worth considering. Otherwise, we're better off drafting a QB when it makes sense and bringing in someone like Orton or Campbell as competition with Fitz, if anyone at all.

Not that I'm taking anyone's side here. But Sanchez got the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games in a row but you don't see us making comments about trading for him.

FWIW, my opinion on Smith is about the same as Fitz. Smith just happens to have a HC that doesn't put him into losing situations.

Sanchez made those championship games when the offense was dumbed down for him and he had a lot more talent around him. As soon as the Jets tried to add more he lost it and his confidence went too. Now he is a mental case.

As for the OP, 8-8 is an improvement, sure. But when a lot of people expected 10-6 or 9-7 then it feels empty. The Jets game showed that we were not ready for the season to start. The Tennessee game was frustrating. The second Pats game ripped my heart out because I felt like it would have made up for those other two losses.

I said at the beginning of the season that if the Bills finished at .500 it would be a good year. Despite their record, I think the team is showing progress. The defense is coming together, when healthy the OL is top-notch. We have a great RB. We are a QB, LB and WR away from being a playoff team. If we make it to 8-8, I say Chan and Wannastache should stay rather than to start all over again with a new regime.

no it wouldnt given who they were playing.....that had a weak schedule against the AFC South and NFC West. a 9-7 or better was expected.

The only first-year coaches with a worse record than Chan are Dennis Allen and, sigh, Mike Mularkey. Tampa Bay didn't win any draft lottery. Neither did Miami. But their new coaches have put together better records this year than Chan's managed.

I broke it down a few years back and the data showed that most first year NFL coaches actually do show an improved record over the predecessor. (PS: I know it's a different point than what you meant.)

I broke it down a few years back and the data showed that most first year NFL coaches actually do show an improved record over the predecessor. (PS: I know it's a different point than what you meant.)

It's fair to add. People say that you can't keep firing coaches, but the truth is that you can't keep firing good coaches. Bad coaches, you should fire immediately. Maybe you can let some wins and losses slide as a new system comes into place or if the bounces go against you. But when you know you've got a dud, cut bait. Immediately. Nothing wrong with doing it after one year. Williams, Mularkey, Jauron: none of those guys were going to get better if we kept them around just a little longer. Neither will Chan. He's bad at the end of Year Three for the same reasons he was bad at the end of Year One. For the same reasons he was bad in Dallas. When you know, you know. Find and keep good coaches. Don't spend five years waiting to have what you already know proven to you.

YES!

1. Knowing what we now know about Fitzpatrick. How can anyone expect or even predict 10-6?

2. Schedule much harder then anticipated. The resident doormat divison in the NFL, NFC WEST, had their best year in a long time. Tough defenses across the board. Having only 1 home game against that divison doesn`t help.

3. 7 of the first 11 games where on the road. 2008 was the last year the Bills went .500 on the road. And that record has declined with 1 game a year since, til reaching only 1 road win last year.

4. 5 of the 7 losses where against playoff locks. 1 other loss where opening game @Jets, a much better team back then. Really a tough game. Excuseable loss. Only other loss was Tennesee. Which we should have won. But Chris Johnson still has a little CJ2K in him, if he is allowed to show it. The way this defense was playing early on, he did just that. Tough to win when you give up 200 yards on the ground at 11 yards a carry.

5. Mario Williams injury. Death of Marcells brother. Mario was hampered early on. Marcell has lost focus.

6. Expecting pro bowl level corner play from a rookie and first year starter.

7. Horrible linebackers.

8. Defensive scheme and cooridnator change.

9. This team lost 8 of the final 9 games last year. The immediate "upgrades" in the starting line up where 2 rookies, a first year starter, and an injured pro bowl level defensive end. The quotation marks are due to not knowing if it`s actually an upgrade. Especially when it comes to rookies. The corner position was actually downgraded in my opion, atleast to start the season.

If this team can get to 8-8. This team would look pretty promising minus the quarterback. They then would have won most of the games that where realisticly winnable, barring upsets. Beating a team like New England would be great. But it would be an upset, like the Browns beating the Giants yet still finishing 4-12. Doesn`t amount to much. You gotta beat the bad teams before you can beat the good ones. Let`s get us a new QB and keep beating the bad teams, and take down a couple of win inflated teams in the process and we will have built us a nice record, so when we beat a team like New England it will mean a lot more. Playoff spot, division, playoff win etc.

8-8 would be the best record since 2004. That`s 8 years. How can the best record in 8 years not be a good season. The Texans spent years trying to get to 8-8. They did it finally in 2009. Made the playoffs for the first time last year. Now they`re one of the best teams in the league, even with average QB play.

Edited by J-E-T-S-L-O-L

8-8 would be the best record since 2004. That`s 8 years. How can the best record in 8 years not be a good season. The Texans spent years trying to get to 8-8. They did it finally in 2009. Made the playoffs for the first time last year. Now they`re one of the best teams in the league, even with average QB play.

I think a better question is how can a teams best record in 8 consecutive years only be 8-8.

Assuming of course that they get there which is by no means a lock.

Hey guys!

Long time reader, first-time poster here. I wouldn't mind an 8-8 record if this wasn't a regime already in it's third year. It's like back in '08 when we wanted Jauron fired and didn't want to see another 7-9 campaign year after year. At this point, it doesn't seem like an 8-8 record is in the cards anyway.