NFL should eliminate PAT kicks

papazoid

You might as well then just eliminate the kicker position. Kickoffs now are almost always touchbacks, now eliminating the PATs would make the position useless. Why not just make a TD 7 points, and have every team start on the 20 after every TD and to start the game/2nd half? Basically you would be holding a roster spot for someone who can kick a fieldgoal....

Viewing it in a player safety context is ridiculous. But I wouldn't mind seeing it eliminated just because it's all but pointless (see what I did there?-).

Although I do like having several free minutes to make a drink/grab a snack/catch a smoke/do a chore between the moment somebody scores a TD to the time they actually line up to run another offensive play.

I can't even remember the last extra point I actually watched.

Eliminate hits on quarterbacks. Make them wear red jerseys and have defenders count to 5 mississipi before they can blitz. Infact make NFL defenseman tie their hands behind their back eliminating tackling. Eliminate punts, kickoffs, 3rd and shorts...I mean just give teams 1st downs. Eliminate fumbles people get hurt in those pile ups. Did I miss anything? :rolleyes: The NFL is turning into a very boring game due to some ridiculous rule changes as is.

Yes, you missed blocking. Remember Mike Utley? Clearly blocking is too dangerous.

Kicking a 52 yarder for 1 point is absurd. Also, going for two from the 35 would never happen. If it ain't broke don't fix it, and it's definitely not broke.

No going for 2 still takes place from the 2. As for xtra point, my earlier post what I meant was make it a 35 yarder (I.e. ball on 18), not kick from 35.

You might as well then just eliminate the kicker position. Kickoffs now are almost always touchbacks, now eliminating the PATs would make the position useless. Why not just make a TD 7 points, and have every team start on the 20 after every TD and to start the game/2nd half? Basically you would be holding a roster spot for someone who can kick a fieldgoal....

I think it's a silly proposal to start with but fgs would still be a big deal.

And folks need to get less upset about what one Internet chump at yahoo has to say to get attention. The "oh cause of the pats we suddenly have to change the rule" crowd was a bit much.

At a time when the NFL is so concerned about player safety, why does the league continue to have conversion kicks?

Since the start of the 2009 season, all but 22 of 3,186 extra points have been converted, according to Elias Sports Bureau. That's 99.3 percent.

This doesn't get in the way of the two-point conversion rule. The rule can simply be amended to say that a team can opt for one point automatically or choose to go for two, getting only six points for a touchdown if a two-point attempt fails.

http://sports.yahoo....-212235294.html

Also need to eliminate field goals too. Football is meant to be played by running and throwing the ball not by kicking the ball through some sticks, who even thought of that idea.

The 20 yard line would be the 3 point line and if you can get to the endzone you get other four points for a TD (or 3 if 2 point conversion is desired).

this would bring a lot more excitement to the game as way more teams would go for it on fourth down, which would also mean less punts too and teams getting pinned in tight to the endzone for more safeties.

All in all it would make the game better and more exciting, which everyone from the League to players to fans would like.

An automatic point?

Why doesn't every team just get a magic point just for showing up? No thanks.

I would be happier with more 2 pt conversion attempts, as well as more 4th down tries, and fewer punts, though.

see my post above.

Eliminate hits on quarterbacks. Make them wear red jerseys and have defenders count to 5 mississipi before they can blitz. Infact make NFL defenseman tie their hands behind their back eliminating tackling. Eliminate punts, kickoffs, 3rd and shorts...I mean just give teams 1st downs. Eliminate fumbles people get hurt in those pile ups. Did I miss anything? :rolleyes: The NFL is turning into a very boring game due to some ridiculous rule changes as is.

arena league coming up :sick: :sick: :sick:

get rid of the kicker all together, make the punter kick off eliminating a roster spot for non football players.

Viewing it in a player safety context is ridiculous. But I wouldn't mind seeing it eliminated just because it's all but pointless (see what I did there?-).

Although I do like having several free minutes to make a drink/grab a snack/catch a smoke/do a chore between the moment somebody scores a TD to the time they actually line up to run another offensive play.

I can't even remember the last extra point I actually watched.

hey you can pause the TV now :P