NFL should eliminate PAT kicks

papazoid

At a time when the NFL is so concerned about player safety, why does the league continue to have conversion kicks?

Since the start of the 2009 season, all but 22 of 3,186 extra points have been converted, according to Elias Sports Bureau. That's 99.3 percent.

This doesn't get in the way of the two-point conversion rule. The rule can simply be amended to say that a team can opt for one point automatically or choose to go for two, getting only six points for a touchdown if a two-point attempt fails.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--direct-snap--nfl-should-eliminate-pat-kicks-212235294.html

Fire up the conspiracy posts! Uh oh, a Patriots* player got injured, we need a new rule in place!

+1

Here we go with the ridiculous over reactions. End PATs because of a broken arm; good grief. Hey, here's a thought: if you're worried about injuries, don't put your star TE on the PAT team when you are up by 30 with 4 minutes left in the game.

+1

Here we go with the ridiculous over reactions. End PATs because of a broken arm; good grief. Hey, here's a thought: if you're worried about injuries, don't put your star TE on the PAT team when you are up by 30 with 4 minutes left in the game.

^^^^^ This.

I like the idea of moving the XP back to the 35, though.

52 yd. Extra points? Really?!

Exactly...

Why don't we move it back to the 50 and see if the punter can boot it through?

Why don't we make head coaches kick all XPs?

Why don't we disallow holders on XPs?

Eh...I'm ok with the way it is, I guess.

Wait....Gronk got hurt in that blow out of a game on an extra Pt kick??

I was watching that game and was laughing the pats still had starters in with 3 mins left. I even said to myself, man if someone gets hurt how funny it would be....

Apparently he did injure it on that play. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Letting teams opt for an automatic point might reduce the opportunities for TV commercials.

Can't have that.

How do you figure? Getting the automoatic point makes the time between TD and insuing kickoff longer.. thus, MORE commercials. Which would suck.

I'd like to see a game with no kicking at all. After a TD, you attempt your PAT via run or pass, no FG's, and no punting. You just go for it on 4th down no matter where you are at on the field. :rolleyes:

I forget what game it was but there was a football video game where this was basically the case. You got 1 point for a running PAT and 2 points for a passing PAT or vice versa. And I believe the PAT was from the 5 yard line also.

EDIT: NFL Street was the game.

Edited by The Wiz

Eliminate hits on quarterbacks. Make them wear red jerseys and have defenders count to 5 mississipi before they can blitz. Infact make NFL defenseman tie their hands behind their back eliminating tackling. Eliminate punts, kickoffs, 3rd and shorts...I mean just give teams 1st downs. Eliminate fumbles people get hurt in those pile ups. Did I miss anything? :rolleyes: The NFL is turning into a very boring game due to some ridiculous rule changes as is.