Bills win despite coaching

l2yangop

Our offense failed to score a touchdown. How many games do you think a team can win like that? Once again, the defense adjusted to what Chan was doing in the second half and once again, he failed to adjust and we did nothing. He needs to go. Make no mistake. We were lucky to hold on and win this game even though we completeley dominated in the first half. The second half was nothing but ugly offensively.

And Miami failed to win. How about that,

PTR

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had numerous 3rd & 3's that we didn't convert. Each and every one of them was empty backfield. Is that Chan's fault, or do you agree with that strategy?

We tried just about anything on 3rd down--power run, spread pass, wildcat, and nothing worked. This, to me, suggests that the bills players didn't execute or the fins executed better.

I would love to know how good miami has been on 3rd down defense this year--i would bet they aren't slouches.

I'll play devil's advocate here.

You mention the not going for it on 4th downs that resulted in FGs. In retrospect those were the right calls. If the Bills go for it and don't make it the Phins are down by only 2 at the end of the game and don't feel the need to force the ball upfield which resulted in Ints. They could have played it much safer and gotten a FG to win the game. If your D is struggling to stop your opponent you take more chances on offense because you have to. But the Bills D was dominant last night (I never thought I'd say that.) When the D is playing lights out you take every point you can get and you don't take many chances.

That being said I'm not the biggest fan of Gaily's offense though. as mentioned, empty backfield on 3rd and 1 (Gilbride anyone?), wildcat on 3rd and 1 (and not even Brad Smith running it), and the reliance on way too many screen passes when they are facing a D that struggles in the secondary. And good as our RBs are I have no clue why we don't use more play action to free up the middle of the field?

People have no memory whatsoever. What did we all say when Chan "goes for the jugular?" Why didn't we play it safe??? So when Chan does play it safe and wins, we complain it's too safe! :doh:

I swear.

PTR

dont know what your referring to because your too vague...but dont lump me into "what did we all say when chan goes for the jugular" - ive never been opposed to trying to win the game (if your talking about the Fitzy INT that cost us the game - titans game - when SOME posters said "just run the ball" - I certainly was not one of them...LOVED the play call to not just attempt to run the clock out and loved the play call, it was just a dumb Fitzy read and throw, but id love to try to go for the jugular all day every day like good teams do)

its not just about "end of game" decisions....it happens the entire game long....and you would have to be an idiot to NOT SEE the same things that make up our loser attitude

'chicky head slap emoticon'

I wouldn't get too excited over the defensive performance. Their effort was great but you still saw a ton of penalties. They need to bring it vs Luck next week.

Miami has a rookie QB with absolutely no offensive weapons. It was an away prime time game in the cold and they still had a chance to win at the end.

We tried just about anything on 3rd down--power run, spread pass, wildcat, and nothing worked. This, to me, suggests that the bills players didn't execute or the fins executed better.

I would love to know how good miami has been on 3rd down defense this year--i would bet they aren't slouches.

Any time you have a LB like Dansby, I'm guessing the D would be up there. But still. The fins had 2 garbage CBs and I'd like to see the Bills going after them more. It's a failure to adjust in game that concerns me with Chan.

And Miami failed to win. How about that,

PTR

So using your logic, it's okay for the offense to not score a touchdown because we won the game. Let's continue that trend and see how many games we win the rest of the way. It's NOT okay and will NOT lead to more wins. Just as happy to get a win as anybody else, but it was a game that we dominated and the play calling was questionable at best.

God forbid we win games in a manner that doesn't satisfy the fans....whatever that manner is. It seems to change from week to week.

Chan played a conservative plan against a very good Miami defense. Sorry it was boring but the plan was to reduce potential game-killing errors. He gave the ball to our top playmakers (SJ & CJ) almost 60% of the time. We got points on 4 of 6 first half drives. The last FG probably won us the game, forcing MIA to get a TD instead of a FG to win.

Chan played it right.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I wouldn't get too excited over the defensive performance. Their effort was great but you still saw a ton of penalties. They need to bring it vs Luck next week.

Miami has a rookie QB with absolutely no offensive weapons. It was an away prime time game in the cold and they still had a chance to win at the end.

Colts have Wayne, Hilton, Fleener and Allen (is that who the other TE is?) who can all get vertical. Buffalo has to dominate possession if they're going to win. Otherwise, I see the Bills D going back to bad

So using your logic, it's okay for the offense to not score a touchdown because we won the game. Let's continue that trend and see how many games we win the rest of the way. It's NOT okay and will NOT lead to more wins. Just as happy to get a win as anybody else, but it was a game that we dominated and the play calling was questionable at best.

So your logic is let's have Fitz throw the ball when we have a late lead because it's not enough to win with all FGs?

PTR

I didnt mind the playcalling all to much....

but there were a few head scratchers....

3rd and 1 Choice lead WildCAT....where was Brad smith

3rd and 1 empty backfield

1st and goal on the 1...BIG formation...you cant run not enough time(6 seconds left, no timeouts)....motion Chandler out.....then have him run a slant?

REDZONE ... ok Spiller come on the bench we got a cement shoes back I want to get in there...

Sorry JR, we were watching different games. On every 3rd and 3ish we ran empty backfield. First quarter on down. When chantastic was trying to seal the win they did run on 3rd and 1 when the entire stadium knewa run was coming. And wildcat? Throw that mess out. (that's crappy coaching too)

Can we PLEASE get rid of it, especially when it is 3rd and short.

Why let the defense know they can T-off on our QB?....especially considering the threat of a Spiller is something defenses will always have to respect.

Only should be used on obvious passing downs.

They gave it to CJ on 3rd and 1 on that last drive where the Bills were trying to run out the clock, the way you guys have been screaming all year that Chan should do. What happened? He got stuffed and they had to punt, giving the Dolphins another chance to win.

Averaging seven yards a carry does not mean that the runner gets seven yards every time he carries the ball. CJ got tackled for a loss quite a few times tonight, and other times he made yards when he had no business doing so. Third and one when the defense is stacked against you, it's hard for anyone to make a first down consistently.

That said, I was unhappy with Tashard Chjoice, especially when he showed alligator arms on that third down pass that would have kept a drive alive. No guts.

Agreed, on the 3rd and 1 I was screaming pitch it to the weak side. It was open for a yard but we went right down the middle???? I realize we are not use to running out the clock at the end of games.

We have become very stale in short yardage/red zone play calling.

Edited by VADC Bills

Sorry JR, we were watching different games. On every 3rd and 3ish we ran empty backfield. First quarter on down. When chantastic was trying to seal the win they did run on 3rd and 1 when the entire stadium knewa run was coming. And wildcat? Throw that mess out. (that's crappy coaching too)

I am not going to go back and watch the entire game to see who is right or wrong. I will concede that we ran empty sets on 3rd down, which I personally do not like (at least keep a RB back there for the threat of a draw).

But what I did look up was Miami defense's 3rd down percentage. They are THIRD in the league in stopping teams on third down. Only Houston and Chicago are better.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversion-pct

I cite this stat only to suggest that maybe we can attribute our offensive woes on 3rd down yesterday to Miami's defense, not to Chan's playcalling.

God forbid we win games in a manner that doesn't satisfy the fans....whatever that manner is. It seems to change from week to week.

Chan played a conservative plan against a very good Miami defense. Sorry it was boring but the plan was to reduce potential game-killing errors. He gave the ball to our top playmakers (SJ & CJ) almost 60% of the time. We got points on 4 of 6 first half drives. The last FG probably won us the game, forcing MIA to get a TD instead of a FG to win.

Chan played it right.

PTR

Completely disagree. Chan played it way too safe and it almost cost him and his team the game. Nice to get a win, but coaching like this will get you exactly what the Bills are, mediocre at best. I am tired of mediocre.

So your logic is let's have Fitz throw the ball when we have a late lead because it's not enough to win with all FGs?

PTR

Chan played it wrong. My logic would be to be a bit more creative with the offensive play calling. Gailey tried his best to give this win away. He has done this too many times for my liking. Maybe you will be satisfied with a team that finishes way below it's potential BECAUSE of the coaching staff, but I will not. I am tired of mediocre football. I want a winner. And please don't even try to tell me we are a winner because we beat a bad Miami team. Look at Gailey's record with this team including this year. He is a loser as a head coach and when his team wins it is in spite of him and not because of him.

The worst part about last night is that we might have a playoff caliber team on paper and on the field but the coaches will snatch victory from us too many times. The fact that CJ wasn't in for any of the 4 red zone trips and very little 3rd downs was absolutely criminal.

Why is it we were able to move the ball between the 20s at will only to stop dead in our tracks once we got into scoring range? The difference, and ONLy difference was no CJ on the field. Chan is an absolute disgrace.

In the end, I'm stuck between wanting to win and keep racking them up for a better season, and possibly a playoff run. But I want Chan fired and feel the only way that happens is if we lose out.

We probably won't lose out anyway, so I guess I'm gonna have to hope he does well.