Patriots looking for next franchise QB...

I wonder what that means for Ryan Mallett.

Is his development behind, or are they just smart enough not to put all of their eggs in one basket?

I'll admit that I was VERY big on us drafting him back in 2011. I was upset that we passed in the 2nd Round. I was furious that we did it again in the 3rd.

So are all other teams..What a useless thread!

Yes, lots of other teams are too but I don't think it's a useless thread. Posters tend to focus on just the other teams that have crappy QBs as competition in the draft for QB, but there are a lot of QB in the league who are older or coming to the end of their contracts and teams will start looking for their replacements. For instance:

Pats

Cowboys

Eagles

Denver

San Diego

Oakland

And that's in addition to the teams that just have a crappy QB like the Bills:

KC

Jax

Cleveland

Jets

Arizona

Yes, lots of other teams are too but I don't think it's a useless thread. Posters tend to focus on just the other teams that have crappy QBs as competition in the draft for QB, but there are a lot of QB in the league who are older or coming to the end of their contracts and teams will start looking for their replacements. For instance:

Pats

Cowboys

Eagles

Denver

San Diego

Oakland

And that's in addition to the teams that just have a crappy QB like the Bills:

KC

Jax

Cleveland

Jets

Arizona

Considering there are 10 True Franchise QBs in the leauge, 20 other teams are always looking for QBs!

GEt a grip dude.

This is a useless thread! How does the OP really know that the Pats are looking for another QB. Brady will be there for 3-5 years still!

I wonder what that means for Ryan Mallett.

Is his development behind, or are they just smart enough not to put all of their eggs in one basket?

I'll admit that I was VERY big on us drafting him back in 2011. I was upset that we passed in the 2nd Round. I was furious that we did it again in the 3rd.

All I know is in pre season against scrubs whenever I saw Mallett he was good. As a rookie in His first pre season game I think he even broke a record for throwing 5 touchdowns in 5 series to start his pats* career.

A terrible move by Nix since all he cost was a 3rd. He is better than anyone on the bills roster. Assuming he was properly coached in Buffalo. Not a sure thing by any stretch.

Pats

Cowboys

Eagles

Denver

San Diego

Oakland

I mostly agree with that list.

Philadelphia will almost certainly be drafting a QB early next year. Michael Vick is a free agent after this season and they are already talking about turning to Nick Foles. There were rumblings in last year's draft about them moving up for Ryan Tannehill.

Oakland would be smart to start looking towards the future, but they are not generally a smart franchise (similar to Buffalo). Carson Palmer has had some good games, so I would expect them to wait another year.

Dallas is an interesting one. It's really hard to blame everything on Tony Romo, but somebody has to be the fall guy. That team has been underperforming badly for years. I could see the Cowboys moving on if they don't make the playoffs - which they probably won't.

However, Denver drafted their QB of the future last year with Brock Osweiler. And I highly doubt that San Diego is going to give up on Philip Rivers. He's not elite (like most thought he was going to be), but he's way better than average and he's probably got quite a few years left in the tank.

So are all other teams..What a useless thread!

Pats find one diamond in the rough and many think they are a Raw Talent Drafting machine!

What a useless post...

No one in New England believes Mallett has what it takes....

I don't believe he has what it takes either, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Pats keep their eye out for a bargain...

for sale Journeyman QB recently shaved.Recently under/miss coached still has potential in a Bellicheck type system.

will trade for groundsperson with Drafting and Head coaching experience. Will accept offers from candidate willing to learn on the job and grow with company team. Pay commensurate with groundskeeping experience. Also should be willing to relocate

All I know is in pre season against scrubs whenever I saw Mallett he was good. As a rookie in His first pre season game I think he even broke a record for throwing 5 touchdowns in 5 series to start his pats* career.

A terrible move by Nix since all he cost was a 3rd. He is better than anyone on the bills roster. Assuming he was properly coached in Buffalo. Not a sure thing by any stretch.

So he looked good against guys that probably are not in the NFL right now . That is not a good enough sample to say he is better than the Bills current QB roster.

So he looked good against guys that probably are not in the NFL right now . That is not a good enough sample to say he is better than the Bills current QB roster.

That's correct what you're saying. By this point of the season expect a bit of sarcasm from my posts, when we suck for 13 straight. That said, I may be accurate in saying he has more "upside" than any QB in Buffalo. His big drop in the draft were some say over concerns about drug use. Of Buffalo's 3. One was traded for and can't even make the active roster in a contract year. How insane is that? The other wouldn't get put in unless a major injury occurred. And, their starting QB is a career a backup they thought they could re-hab.

Mallett would have been a decent pick in round 3.

Edited by Best Player Available

This is how real organizations develop their QBs. They're suppose to be drafting a QB for 3-5 years down the line, something the Bills don't understand. Green Bay did the same thing.

Dumbest thing I've seen in a while...Besides Aaron Rogers name another QB that waited 3-5 years to start. And the only reason it took Rogers so long is Favre had a rebirth for a couple years.

I don't see Brady in NE in 5 years. If BB is still leading the team he will be gone. This is not a bad idea and they're hoping they can get an Aaron Rodgers or Phillip Rivers type. Though, I see them getting someone in like Rivers (younger QB not yet risen to the peak of his ability and under 28)

No one in New England believes Mallett has what it takes....

He seems to be more popular among some Bills fans (not me) than the Pats. For that matter, the same could be said for Jimmy Clausen. I remember how many people here spontaneously combusted when the Bills did not draft him multiple times. Hey, but at least we could have said that we drafted a QB (and made some here and on GR happy).

Edited by Peter

Steve Young

Young started for two years for the Bucs before ever coming to the 49ers via trade...but your point is well taken. If you currently have one of the 5 best QB's in the history of the NFL and not quite sure about their longevity be it from age or injury then go ahead and try to find a successor. But for every Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers there are many Todd Collin's, Mark Malone's, and Tommy Maddux's.

Young started for two years for the Bucs before ever coming to the 49ers via trade...but your point is well taken. If you currently have one of the 5 best QB's in the history of the NFL and not quite sure about their longevity be it from age or injury then go ahead and try to find a successor. But for every Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers there are many Todd Collin's, Mark Malone's, and Tommy Maddux's.

I've heard of them! Buddy, asleep at the wheel again...wake'm up, git'r done!

Which to me is even more reason to start trying while they still have a competent player. Brady covers a lot of weaknesses so they can afford to do what they have been - taking a qb every year or so and hoping he turns out to be their heir apparent. It's what good franchises do.... (not get caught with their pants down when their superstar retires)

Which to me is even more reason to start trying while they still have a competent player. Brady covers a lot of weaknesses so they can afford to do what they have been - taking a qb every year or so and hoping he turns out to be their heir apparent. It's what good franchises do.... (not get caught with their pants down when their superstar retires)

Besides Mallett, have the Pats drafted a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick in recent times? It seems like a waste to be using a high pick that can help plug glaring talent holes on a QB crapshoot.

Besides Mallett, have the Pats drafted a QB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick in recent times? It seems like a waste to be using a high pick that can help plug glaring talent holes on a QB crapshoot.

No but they have grabbed Hoyer, Mallet, and Cassel in recent years (one more guy who I can't remember right now too). Point being Buddy took Levi Brown and mentioned how they should be trying every year to take a flier and then just stopped. I don't mind a 6th/7th on a qb every year. Most of those picks get cut anyway so there is not much risk involved and the reward could be either a trade piece or a center piece both nice rewards.