JW speaks with Buddy

As some of you know, Bills GM Buddy Nix has returned from a two week scouting trip.

As far as I can tell, he didn't have a press conference but he did (as many of you know) have an interview with WGR Radio and also with the BB's Chris Brown.

There's a separate thread about the WGR interview and some comments about the Chris Brown interview but Nix also interviewed with the AP's (and our own) John Wawrow.

The most interesting material came from the JW interview.

The four major points of JW's interview were:

1) Because of the WGR morning interview, Nix felt compelled to speak with Fitz after practice regarding his future in Buffalo:

"Aware that his comments on radio had raised speculation regarding Fitzpatrick's status, Nix approached the quarterback following practice to reassure him."

2) While Nix was very supportive of Chan Gailey, there was no support for Wanny and in fact there was tacit disapproval of the job Wanny has done:

In defending Fitzpatrick, Nix pinned the blame of the Bills troubles on the team's under-performing defense.

''Listen, you score 34 points, you're supposed to win the damn game,'' Nix said, referring to a 35-34 loss to Tennessee two weeks ago. ''I mean, how many do we have to score?''

3) Nix has no intention of stepping aside any time soon. In fact he sounds determined to stay on until he has built a solid foundation for his successor:

As for his own future, Nix said he has no intention of leaving Buffalo until the team's a winner or owner Ralph Wilson fires him.

''I came here to make sure this thing was turned around and on solid ground,'' said Nix, who's in his third year as GM. ''And I'm not going anywhere until it is, or unless the owner says I am. And he and I are the only two that can. How about that?''

4) Finally, the grand-daddy of the interview, the disclosure that Gailey IS NOT on a 3-year contract as had been widely and recently speculated about on this forum:

"Hired by Nix in 2010, Gailey has a 13-26 record in Buffalo. Nix also revealed that Gailey has at least one more year left on his contract, something the team had previously refused to discuss."

There's more good stuff too:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bills-gm-nix-backs-gailey-173909749--nfl.html

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not thrilled with Gailey but I am fine with having him stick around for another year. The offense has been scoring pretty well, and lately he seems to be calling for run plays a litlle more than he did last year. If they draft a QB, I think Gailey will be a good coach for a rookie QB. Changing coaches every three years is not a model for success. The defense is what stinks, and now we know that Nix knows it and isn't shy about saying it. That is good news. Something will happen sooner or later to address the terrible defense. Maybe not in time to save this season, but with a new DC and a rookie QB, the marketing machine will be able to sell tickets for next year, and isn't that what it's all about?

"Reassure" Fitz of.....what? That he plans on drafting his replacement like he said earlier? That he was just kidding?

Probably that whatever happens in the future as far as QB acquisitions go, that Fitz always has a home here.

I think that most view Fitz as the perfect backup QB and I sense that he's the kind of guy who'll take a demotion gracefully and for the sake of the team.

Now whether the team would want to pay him $9 million a year to backup is a different story.

I am not thrilled with Gailey but I am fine with having him stick around for another year. The offense has been scoring pretty well, and lately he seems to be calling for run plays a litlle more than he did last year. If they draft a QB, I think Gailey will be a good coach for a rookie QB. Changing coaches every three years is not a model for success.

The defense is what stinks, and now we know that Nix knows it and isn't shy about saying it. That is good news. Something will happen sooner or later to address the terrible defense. Maybe not in time to save this season, but with a new DC and a rookie QB, the marketing machine will be able to sell tickets for next year, and isn't that what it's all about?

Improving the defense would sell more tickets as it would result in more wins.

It's quite disheartening though that the defense has regressed in spite of a unanimous opinion that it would improve this year.

It's not too late to turn this season around but signs are certainly pointing at another year of missing the playoffs.

As some of you know, Bills GM Buddy Nix has returned from a two week scouting trip.

As far as I can tell, he didn't have a press conference but he did (as many of you know) have an interview with WGR Radio and also with the BB's Chris Brown.

There's a separate thread about the WGR interview and some comments about the Chris Brown interview but Nix also interviewed with the AP's (and our own) John Wawrow.

The most interesting material came from the JW interview.

The four major points of JW's interview were:

1) Because of the WGR morning interview, Nix felt compelled to speak with Fitz after practice regarding his future in Buffalo:

"Aware that his comments on radio had raised speculation regarding Fitzpatrick's status, Nix approached the quarterback following practice to reassure him."

2) While Nix was very supportive of Chan Gailey, there was no support for Wanny and in fact there was tacit disapproval of the job Wanny has done:

In defending Fitzpatrick, Nix pinned the blame of the Bills troubles on the team's under-performing defense.

''Listen, you score 34 points, you're supposed to win the damn game,'' Nix said, referring to a 35-34 loss to Tennessee two weeks ago. ''I mean, how many do we have to score?''

3) Nix has no intention of stepping aside any time soon. In fact he sounds determined to stay on until he has built a solid foundation for his successor:

As for his own future, Nix said he has no intention of leaving Buffalo until the team's a winner or owner Ralph Wilson fires him.

''I came here to make sure this thing was turned around and on solid ground,'' said Nix, who's in his third year as GM. ''And I'm not going anywhere until it is, or unless the owner says I am. And he and I are the only two that can. How about that?''

4) Finally, the grand-daddy of the interview, the disclosure that Gailey IS NOT on a 3-year contract as had been widely and recently speculated about on this forum:

"Hired by Nix in 2010, Gailey has a 13-26 record in Buffalo. Nix also revealed that Gailey has at least one more year left on his contract, something the team had previously refused to discuss."

There's more good stuff too:

http://sports.yahoo....09749--nfl.html

Man I hope he was just buttering Fitzy up so he feels better, bc if we don't get a REAL QB this draft Nix should be fired immediately.

Yes...get some heat on wanny or can him. At least buddy knows that Fitz is not the guy and plans to address it in the off-season

2 positives

Kevin Greene for DC.

"Reassure" Fitz of.....what? That he plans on drafting his replacement like he said earlier? That he was just kidding?

Buddy was 100% right to reassure him. Fitz has limitations, this is nothing new. But he is a seemingly good guy. We don't want him to give up, and he could. He is financially set for life, and a graduate of Harvard.

What Buddy needs to do is look in the mirror.

In his first draft, he selected a running back at #9, and a bunch of disasters. This, with extra picks in rounds 6 and 7. And before anybody jumps down my throat and tells me that Spiller is now playing very well, I AGREE. But we need to win games.

In his second draft, he took a DT at #3, one who, imo, will be a good player. He was last year. And to his credit, he STOLE an OT (Hairston) in round 4. But, Buddy didn't want Mallett or Dalton in rounds 2 and 3.. He wanted a corner who sucks, and a very questionable MLB. In this draft, Buddy had an extra 7th, and an extra 4th, which btw he used on Hairston (25th selection of round 4). With the 3rd pick of round 4, Buddy took Searcy. In all, not a great draft when you pick 3rd.

Last years draft is too early to rate, but it looks as if he stole another OT in round 2. Gilmore at #10? We shall see.

The above is just the draft. The biggest blunder imo was Wanny. He looks like a Jauron wannabee. Kyle Williams in coverage? Who's next? Dareus? Nix could have, once and for all, purged the weak, timid, losing Levy/Jauron philosophy on defense. Instead, he made it worse by bringing in Wanny.

So yes, it really is OK for Buddy to appease Fitz just a bit. Buddy created this mess more than Fitz.

As long as he keeps speaking in a southern drawl, he sounds like he knows how to put together a winning football program.

Southeast conference baby, where has that gotten ya with this team

he made san diego a perrinial playoff team with the talent he drafted! Coaches are another story!!

Had nothing to with Marty, it wasn't't all nix out there

I am not thrilled with Gailey but I am fine with having him stick around for another year. The offense has been scoring pretty well, and lately he seems to be calling for run plays a litlle more than he did last year. If they draft a QB, I think Gailey will be a good coach for a rookie QB. Changing coaches every three years is not a model for success. The defense is what stinks, and now we know that Nix knows it and isn't shy about saying it. That is good news. Something will happen sooner or later to address the terrible defense. Maybe not in time to save this season, but with a new DC and a rookie QB, the marketing machine will be able to sell tickets for next year, and isn't that what it's all about?

Thank goodness! I need tha off season false hope to get me through the summer! Lipstick that pig!

i find it hard to believe that gailey is going to be here next year, UNLESS this team hovers around .500 for the remainder of the season, and plays like they did against kansas city and cleveland 4 or 5 more times in these last 9 games. ive said it before, and ill say it again. i think marty ball is coming to buffalo in 2013.

with that said, there are 2 scenarios here: either

a) gailey has lost the team, and the players have tuned him out

or

b) gailey has not lost the team, and the players have not tuned him out

if it is scenario a, it would be clear as day to anyone who stepped foot on the sideline, in the locker room, or watched 5 minutes of practice. exit interviews at the end of the season with guys like jackson, scott, and barnett would reveal that to be the case, and nix would can gailey. IN THAT SCENARIO, if he suspects that to be the case already, what could possibly be gained by announcing that RIGHT NOW? The entire roster would know theyre playing for a lame duck coach, the season would be over, and our 3-4 bills, who sit 1 game back from the playoffs, would be done for the year, despite still having how many home games that need to be sold out? Just a terrible decision all around, and one that no manager on this side of michael scott would ever make.

in scenario b, if these guys still like him, its the elephant in the room-ryan fitzpatrick and dave wannstedt are costing us games.

now, theres a lot of bills fans that i wish nix could fire, but if we start next season with gailey, a new qb, and a new defensive coordinator? then yes, i will be extremely optimistic. i know thats "illegal," and considered "drinking the kool aid," but christ almighty is there talent on this roster. and in our garbage division, if you think we are that far away from not only making the playoffs, but hosting a playoff game, idk what to tell you. brady isnt getting any younger, the jets arent going anywhere, and if you think miami is a juggernaut in the making, i recomend you get nfl sunday ticket and watch a game of theirs - they suck.

the future is bright in buffalo, of this i am sure.

Edited by JohnnyGold