New Orleans

PaattMaann

Planning a New Orleans trip (flight and hotel booked) for the end of January (week before the superbowl)...

I was in New Orleans once, but that was 7 years ago and for Mardi Gras, so all I did was a whole lot of drinking (and stopped at Cafe Dumonde for a benet(sp?)...

Anyone been? What to do (bars included)? Where to eat? Golf Courses (are they open in January?)? Tours? etc...

I am going to be annoying about this and keep resurfacing this thread monthly until I go...

help my group have the time of our lives in The Big Easy....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to go to Pat O'Brien's for a Huricane or two

We had dinner at NOLA (owned by Emeril). It was fantastic.

and you have to try the beignets at Cafe Du Monde

Everything this guy said, and check out Jackson Square. Have red beans and rice somewhere, I recommend the restaurant "Desire, an Oyster Bar." Also, if you are there for a while, take a trip outside the city and check out some of the old plantations houses. I don't recommend the alligator watching, it kind of stinks in that area--at least when I went. And in the city, take a trolly car ride, and don't forget, the WW2 museum is in a cool part of the city and is worth the trip.

So many places to go...i will start with Willie Maes Scotch House in the 7 th Ward. Said to be the best fried chicken in the whole of the South. Small joint though, prolly tough for a large group.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/willie-maes-scotch-house-new-orleans

Only oprn during the day, so great place for lunch.

We did this tour, and it was great

http://www.tourneworleans.com/garden_set.html

I am a big fan of the show Treme..and have been to New Orleans twice now..once before watching the show and once after.Had a much better time after haveing watched the show and reading the "treme explained" blog.

http://topics.nola.com/tag/treme-explained/index.html

I would highly recommend watching this show, then go read the blog that corresponds to that episode...you. Will ave a great time that few tourists ever will, i promise

Beignets and Chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde. BBQ shrimp at Pascal Manale's.

My fondest memory of NOLA was seeing the New Orleans Brass hockey team. (The ECHL affiliate of Montreal at the time) Not so much the team but their arena: the old Morris F.X. Jefferson auditorium, just north of the French Quarter. The only hockey arena with chandeliers. Here are some pics of the old place. Note the first balcony at the top of the glass. You could practically reach down and grab a player. Unfortunately the Brass are long gone.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I would message No Saint, I would think he would have some ideas. Have fun!

im full of ideas

that week will have "pre-mardi gras" parades going on. nothing huge but some of the smaller stuff that is normally the weekend before got bumped up due to the superbowl being in town. get to see the floats and catch some throws even if you dont get to experience the big crowds and huge party.

weather can be real spotty that time of year - could be a beautiful 70 degrees, or an cold and wet (humid) 30 degrees, which is no good. keep an eye out when planning. That can change even over a day or two, and may effect what you want to do (golf for instance).

check out frenchman street if you are into music (dba, spotted cat, snug harbor, etc....) a ton of great bars/venues within a short stretch just outside the quarter - bourbon st is fun to see, definitely check it out (pat os, as everyone has said is the best bet) but the strip as a whole definitely has an 80s cover band and oversized bud light and sketchy strippers meandering around kind of scene. nothing wrong with that if its what your into, but theres a lot more to see if you want to get a new orleans experience. frenchman will get you brass bands, jazz, original rock, good drinks. if its a nice night you can get brass bands on the streets and some impromptu dancing in the intersections.

if you have solid dates id be glad to steer you towards what is cant miss while your in town. Likewise if you have food preferences.

Edited by NoSaint

im full of ideas

that week will have "pre-mardi gras" parades going on. nothing huge but some of the smaller stuff that is normally the weekend before got bumped up due to the superbowl being in town. get to see the floats and catch some throws even if you dont get to experience the big crowds and huge party.

weather can be real spotty that time of year - could be a beautiful 70 degrees, or an cold and wet (humid) 30 degrees, which is no good. keep an eye out when planning. That can change even over a day or two, and may effect what you want to do (golf for instance).

check out frenchman street if you are into music (dba, spotted cat, snug harbor, etc....) a ton of great bars/venues within a short stretch just outside the quarter - bourbon st is fun to see, definitely check it out (pat os, as everyone has said is the best bet) but the strip as a whole definitely has an 80s cover band and oversized bud light and sketchy strippers meandering around kind of scene. nothing wrong with that if its what your into, but theres a lot more to see if you want to get a new orleans experience. frenchman will get you brass bands, jazz, original rock, good drinks. if its a nice night you can get brass bands on the streets and some impromptu dancing in the intersections.

if you have solid dates id be glad to steer you towards what is cant miss while your in town. Likewise if you have food preferences.

your the man, we will be there Saturday morning (January 26th) until Tuesday morning (January 29th)...we think of ourselves as "foodies" - just four of us, and will be looking for probably one fancy type place to eat and then other local faves/must go's...

frenchman st. seems more up my alley than bourbon - been on bourbon before, went to Pat Os and will probably do that for one night/part of the night....listen to all music, original rock sound sgood as well as jazz......

looking for "outside the box" type things to do aside from bars and restaurants...thinking of possibly doing the WWII museum, maybe a plantation tour (however the other couple were going with did one in SC and arent dieing to do another)....

You have to go to Pat O'Brien's for a Huricane or two

We had dinner at NOLA (owned by Emeril). It was fantastic.

and you have to try the beignets at Cafe Du Monde

NOLA WAS FANTASTIC. Call now and make a reservation. First time we went, could not get a table.

All above very good. Take the carriage ride for a tour.

Absinthe at the Old Absinthe House

Sazerac at the Napoleon House

Antoine's for a Cafe Brulot after dark

Erin Rose for a frozen Irish Coffee (a favorite)

Deannie's Seafood on Iberville/Dauphine for Barbecue Shrimp

And there's an interesting beer tap water fountain at the Bulldog

your the man, we will be there Saturday morning (January 26th) until Tuesday morning (January 29th)...we think of ourselves as "foodies" - just four of us, and will be looking for probably one fancy type place to eat and then other local faves/must go's...

frenchman st. seems more up my alley than bourbon - been on bourbon before, went to Pat Os and will probably do that for one night/part of the night....listen to all music, original rock sound sgood as well as jazz......

looking for "outside the box" type things to do aside from bars and restaurants...thinking of possibly doing the WWII museum, maybe a plantation tour (however the other couple were going with did one in SC and arent dieing to do another)....

ill get you some more info later but WW2 is a great choice - do lunch at the John Besh restaurant there (if i remember correctly they have a good happy hour in the afternoon too, if you get a late start). The museum is a fantastic experience all around and can take up the better part of the day if you are interested in that stuff.

plantation tours are cool, but can be a little dry. a sight to see, but also at the same time.... simply an old house. i havent done the whole selection of them. oak alley is the one you typically see in post cards and the like. id rate it as cool if you have time, but not a cant miss experience.

food wise - ill shoot you some ideas specifically but NOmenu.com is FANTASTIC for sorting by neighborhood, cuisine, top 10 lists for different dishes, reviews like crazy..... check it out.

Edited by NoSaint

ill get you some more info later but WW2 is a great choice - do lunch at the John Besh restaurant there (if i remember correctly they have a good happy hour in the afternoon too, if you get a late start). The museum is a fantastic experience all around and can take up the better part of the day if you are interested in that stuff.

plantation tours are cool, but can be a little dry. a sight to see, but also at the same time.... simply an old house. i havent done the whole selection of them. oak alley is the one you typically see in post cards and the like. id rate it as cool if you have time, but not a cant miss experience.

food wise - ill shoot you some ideas specifically but NOmenu.com is FANTASTIC for sorting by neighborhood, cuisine, top 10 lists for different dishes, reviews like crazy..... check it out.

thanks for NOmenu.com suggestion, site is awesome! man I wish this trip wasent three months away

thanks...these worth checking out or what?

mostly smaller stuff -

'tit rex is literally miniature floats.

cork is a walking one on friday afternoon. its in the quarter, so if your down there strolling around its cool.

i wouldnt qualify any of them as cant miss or plan a weekend around them, but definitely worth checking out if you have time that needs to get filled (especially if not everyone has done mardi gras).