New Orleans

PaattMaann

This was where I had originally planned to go on my honeymoon next week but the Fiancee nixed it, she didn't think a week there would be a fun trip (I don't really drink although there are times I wonder why I don't, and she can't drink right now so I think that turned her off of it a bit)

I ended up booking 2 nights in Vegas at the Luxor, a night at the Grand Canyon, and 3 nights in Scottsdale Arizona after she nixed going to Houston this Sunday ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was where I had originally planned to go on my honeymoon next week but the Fiancee nixed it, she didn't think a week there would be a fun trip (I don't really drink although there are times I wonder why I don't, and she can't drink right now so I think that turned her off of it a bit)

I ended up booking 2 nights in Vegas at the Luxor, a night at the Grand Canyon, and 3 nights in Scottsdale Arizona after she nixed going to Houston this Sunday ;)

she nixed new orleans for scottsdale?

if theres still time, run. otherwise, my condolences.

she nixed new orleans for scottsdale?

if theres still time, run. otherwise, my condolences.

Its only 3 nights in Phoenix/Scottsdale

I wanted to go there too, never been out that way

I have never been to Vegas, and have wanted to check out the Grand Canyon so this seemed like a good choice

NHL really ruined things for me though, I would have been debating staying the extra night and skipping my own Hockey game on the 10th to stay and catch the Sabres play the Coyotes

Oh well, now I can get back just in time to play in my game that night

Should have put your foot down an did New Orleans.

It may become a future trip for a few days, but with neither of us drinking, it seemed like a bit of a waste.

I was going to try and get tickets to the Saints game on monday night (She wasn't a big fan of that though)

Its only 3 nights in Phoenix/Scottsdale

I wanted to go there too, never been out that way

I have never been to Vegas, and have wanted to check out the Grand Canyon so this seemed like a good choice

NHL really ruined things for me though, I would have been debating staying the extra night and skipping my own Hockey game on the 10th to stay and catch the Sabres play the Coyotes

Oh well, now I can get back just in time to play in my game that night

It may become a future trip for a few days, but with neither of us drinking, it seemed like a bit of a waste.

I was going to try and get tickets to the Saints game on monday night (She wasn't a big fan of that though)

It's a shame people think New Orleans is only for drinking.

hey hey hey, dont be threadjackin this to your damn honey moon thread!! : )

Going from memory and some of these were not mentioned by NoSaint

Ralph and Kacoo's: Try the Atchafalya, if they give a choice of fish choose the redfish, blackened and then the crawfish etoufee on top. To DIE for.

Deanie's - if you are in the mood for a non-fancy restaurant

Visit Preservation Hall at night for the blues/jazz

End the night (the outdoor activities anyway :) ) at Cafe DuMonde with the coffee and beignets

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Going from memory and some of these were not mentioned by NoSaint

Ralph and Kacoo's: Try the Atchafalya, if they give a choice of fish choose the redfish, blackened and then the crawfish etoufee on top. To DIE for.

Deanie's - if you are in the mood for a non-fancy restaurant

Visit Preservation Hall at night for the blues/jazz

End the night (the outdoor activities anyway :) ) at Cafe DuMonde with the coffee and beignets

Personal takes (not gospel)--

cafe du monde - definitely make a stop. night is often the best time as weekends during the day get a heavy line. its also a nice atmosphere in the evening, in my opinion. good call.

ralph and kacoos - id skip (not bad, but doesnt make my list when i have visitors), but the mention of atchafalaya reminded me to recommend the restaurant atchafalaya. good food. do an excellent brunch for about $15 a plate. good way to get an extra nice meal in without breaking the bank. the most expensive thing at brunch is $18 and comes with hefty helping of jumbo lump crab meat. make your own bloody mary bar too. in the garden district, off the beaten path a bit - so a neighborhood feel instead of touristy. check out a menu, and if you see things that interest you, odds are they are really good.

deanies - if you are into fried seafood - thats the spot to hit. they will drop a plate of it in front of you with more than youd want to eat. and youll want to eat a lot. its good. may as well stick to the one in the quarter - theres the original location by the lake (bucktown), but not worth a cab ride. if you have a car and want to explore its a good stop but the quarter location is just as good, no commute, and a nicer space honestly.

preservation hall is a good stop. no bar, so good for you non-drinkers. right next to pat os if you do want a hurricane. can get a line so go a little early for doors. its definitely worth checking out, although the scene on frenchman is my go-to destination for music. this is definitely cool for a visit though. its got the music and history thing going for it.

Edited by NoSaint

to all posters so far - I love you guys...keep this good info coming...

any buffet brunch places? I read a lot about Brunches but im a fan of picking and choosing what I want (hence the buffet) rather than choosing one dish..however, I am intrigued by Atchafalaya and the hefty heaping of jumbo lump crab meat....

• 2 months later...

bringing back up an old topic because our trip is in three weeks...so anyone with advice please drop in....(especially NoSaint haha)

planning on:

- a nice meal at either Bayonna, Domenica or Cochon (anyone have any experiences here?)

- planning on catching some awesome live music every night we are there (saturday, sunday and monday nights) - will def. be doing Pat O's piano bar one of those night just because we have to...but probably looking to do Frenchman st. bars the other nights - any suggestions on best ones?

- def doing Cafe Du Monde one morning/afternoon

- thinking about brunch uptown at Patois but could be swayed to somewhere else (if we go uptown for brunch is there anything else to do in that area or what?)

- what kind of activities should we do during the day other than just walk around french quarter/bourbon st. area

- MIGHT bring the clubs and golf at Lakewood country club, MIGHT....

any other suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

bringing back up an old topic because our trip is in three weeks...so anyone with advice please drop in....(especially NoSaint haha)

planning on:

- a nice meal at either Bayonna, Domenica or Cochon (anyone have any experiences here?)

- planning on catching some awesome live music every night we are there (saturday, sunday and monday nights) - will def. be doing Pat O's piano bar one of those night just because we have to...but probably looking to do Frenchman st. bars the other nights - any suggestions on best ones?

- def doing Cafe Du Monde one morning/afternoon

- thinking about brunch uptown at Patois but could be swayed to somewhere else (if we go uptown for brunch is there anything else to do in that area or what?)

- what kind of activities should we do during the day other than just walk around french quarter/bourbon st. area

- MIGHT bring the clubs and golf at Lakewood country club, MIGHT....

any other suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

1) all three delicious. domenica has a fantastic happy hour (half priced pizza and booze) in the afternoon. great way to sneak in and maybe save a few bucks. gets a bit crowded at happy hour as the locals love it too.

cochon also is attached to "the butcher" which is donald links awesome sandwich shop. i go there regularly as its among the best values around in terms of food that can make you drool at a $10 sandwich price, and a quicker in and out. shares the kitchen with cochon and cures all the meat in house. cochon also very good, and you would not be wrong for going there - just wanted to share the tidbit, in case time or budget might keep you away from the experience.

bayona, is just flat good. dont have any tips.

2) go to dba - shamaar allen is on saturday and glenn david andrews is monday. both great new orleans musicians. i think shamaar will likely be $10, and GDA is always $5. great beer and pretty decent liquor selection there. right on frenchman. frenchman is full of music but you will be hard pressed to find a better new orleans show. GDA headlines both the blues and gospel tents regularly at jazz fest, but is a brass band artist primarily and this is his weekly show on frenchman, lots of people pass through and sit in for a few songs. he came up in rebirth brass band, then treme brass band and ventured out on his own. hes a major ham on stage, and you may end up on the street second lining, or with amanda shaw coming in to play fiddle and getting a more cajun vibe even(shes been stopping in regularly the last month), ive seen kermit ruffins sit in, members of all his previous bands. good stuff. http://dbabars.com/dbano/calendar/index/30

sundays can be a bit slower on music but hot 8 at howlin wolf is a good weekly show (double check the schedule just in case) and pat casey at the spotted cat are good options.

3) cafe du monde is definitely good.

4) patois is a good one. near the zoo (really close), if you are into that. theres a golf course in audobon park right there too (could be your excuse, though with january weather, golf can go either way - it was 40s, damp and gusty last week, could be 80 and sunny when you come)

5) honestly, should be a fun weekend. the city will be gearing up for superbowl, so hopefully the construction will be done. everything should be polished up nicely. there are a few small traditional parades for mardi gras. youll potentially get a kick out of barkus on sunday - the name is a play on the major parade bacchus, but this is all dogs and in the quarter.... people dress up their dogs, and parade around down there. its funny. yuull likely start getting some football faces and names in town for the game and pre parties so keep an eye out when you wander around.

enjoy!

Edited by NoSaint

thanks No Saint, your input is GREATLY appreciated

couple more items if I may:

- whats standard cab fare in the area? Im wondering mostly how much you think a cab would be from the bourbon st. area to Lakewood Country Club - which is a 9 mile (18 min) drive according to google maps....

- is the zoo worth checking out? dont know how familiar you with other zoos and how comparable the New Orleans one is....

- whats the best PO-BOY spot in town? love me some fried shrimp

- thanks for the music suggestions, will def. be checking out dba one of the nights...are any places down there known for new rock acts off the top of your head?

and lastly - is a swamp tour worth it? and do you know of any good ones?

thanks No Saint, your input is GREATLY appreciated

couple more items if I may:

- whats standard cab fare in the area? Im wondering mostly how much you think a cab would be from the bourbon st. area to Lakewood Country Club - which is a 9 mile (18 min) drive according to google maps....

- is the zoo worth checking out? dont know how familiar you with other zoos and how comparable the New Orleans one is....

- whats the best PO-BOY spot in town? love me some fried shrimp

- thanks for the music suggestions, will def. be checking out dba one of the nights...are any places down there known for new rock acts off the top of your head?

and lastly - is a swamp tour worth it? and do you know of any good ones?

1) i believe cabs are like $3 to get in than $2/mile? rates just changed. united is the major brand might be worth double checking those numbers. Airport isnt metered, flat $33 for a couple, or $14 per person for larger groups as an extra note.

2) the zoo is pretty well ranked nationally. i havent done it in awhile. the parent company runs the aquarium and instectarium (both on the edge of the french quarter) and those were both pretty cool when i did them. worth checking out, if thats the kind of thing you enjoy. insectarium has a kitchen that serves stuff like meal worm jambalaya (made that dish up, but you get the idea) if your feeling real adventurous. aquarium has an imax, and a brand new bird section added. can get combo passes for the different locations if interested.

3) in the quarter, johnnys is probably your best poboy traditional po boy, mothers is just outside the quarter and gets mobbed for being on the food and travel shows - but its reliable too. nothing wrong with getting a touristy experience in my book.

though theres a new little pop up called killer po boys in the back of a dive bar called erin rose thats getting a lot of mentions in food local circles. i make no claims to their shrimp, but if your out drinking on bourbon on saturday and want some grub its a pretty good little locals type irish bar about a half block off bourbon street. the sandwiches are better than a $4 slice of so-so pizza on bourbon. below is a link to the last menu they posted online

4) new orleans, for all is musical awesomeness.... is lacking your average young rock scene in a lot of ways. bourbon street is all the classic 80s cover bands, while the original music seems to jump from blues/brass/folk/r&b etc... to hardcore metal. you can catch some rock bands around town, but very few of the clubs are dedicated to them. in the french quarter one eyed jacks is probably the closest to what youd be looking for. frenchman can rotate a ton night to night and set to set at some of the venues. id guess "maison" would be your best bet for a rock show but that really could be anything from traditional jazz to DJ sets, to Russian punk music depending on the night and time (sometimes including all in the same night). frenchman in general is good for strolling and going to whatever catches your ear.

5) swamp tours i believe get a little gray in January. the animals i think slow down a bit when it gets cool, and the plants arent as vibrant but im not positive on that assessment.

Edited by NoSaint

1) i believe cabs are like $3 to get in than $2/mile? rates just changed. united is the major brand might be worth double checking those numbers. Airport isnt metered, flat $33 for a couple, or $14 per person for larger groups as an extra note.

2) the zoo is pretty well ranked nationally. i havent done it in awhile. the parent company runs the aquarium and instectarium (both on the edge of the french quarter) and those were both pretty cool when i did them. worth checking out, if thats the kind of thing you enjoy. insectarium has a kitchen that serves stuff like meal worm jambalaya (made that dish up, but you get the idea) if your feeling real adventurous.

3) in the quarter, johnnys is probably your best poboy traditional po boy, mothers is just outside the quarter and gets mobbed for being on the food and travel shows - but its reliable too. nothing wrong with getting a touristy experience in my book.

though theres a new little pop up called killer po boys in the back of a dive bar called erin rose thats getting a lot of mentions in food local circles. i make no claims to their shrimp, but if your out drinking on bourbon on saturday and want some grub its a pretty good little locals type irish bar about a half block off bourbon street. the sandwiches are better than a $4 slice of so-so pizza on bourbon. below is a link to the last menu they posted online

http://www.facebook....&type=3

4) new orleans, for all is musical awesomeness.... is lacking your average young rock scene in a lot of ways. bourbon street is all the classic 80s cover bands, while the original music seems to jump from blues/brass/folk/r&b etc... to hardcore metal. you can catch some rock bands around town, but very few of the clubs are dedicated to them. in the french quarter one eyed jacks is probably the closest to what youd be looking for. frenchman can rotate a ton night to night and set to set at some of the venues. id guess "maison" would be your best bet for a rock show but that really could be anything from traditional jazz to DJ sets, to Russian punk music depending on the night and time (sometimes including all in the same night).

5) swamp tours i believe get a little gray in January. the animals i think slow down a bit when it gets cool, and the plants arent as vibrant but im not positive on that assessment.

I would have to say that time of year, where the weather could be on the chilly side a swamp tour probably not be woth it as I would doubt you see any gators & such. I will add though I have never been to New Orleans but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I would have to say that time of year, where the weather could be on the chilly side a swamp tour probably not be woth it as I would doubt you see any gators & such. I will add though I have never been to New Orleans but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

yea, it would have potential to be a loooooong day. swamp tours can be fun, even if you dont get a ton of gators but.... id say youd enjoy a city tour more in january. they do general city tours, movie tours (we are hollywood south after all), treme ones, rebuilding/katrina ones and i think even some music ones. honestly, even the ghost tours are a fun way to get a little french quarter history.

Edited by NoSaint

your the man, we will be there Saturday morning (January 26th) until Tuesday morning (January 29th)...we think of ourselves as "foodies" - just four of us, and will be looking for probably one fancy type place to eat and then other local faves/must go's...

frenchman st. seems more up my alley than bourbon - been on bourbon before, went to Pat Os and will probably do that for one night/part of the night....listen to all music, original rock sound sgood as well as jazz......

looking for "outside the box" type things to do aside from bars and restaurants...thinking of possibly doing the WWII museum, maybe a plantation tour (however the other couple were going with did one in SC and arent dieing to do another)....

New Orleans School of Cooking has demo classes daily and a hands on one on Sunday afternoons. My buddy's wife did the class and she liked it. (It'd be outside the box for foodies.)

I only did the gift shop, picking up some "Joe's Stuff" (one of their instructor's own spice blend, which goes well on popcorn). There's other spice shops around town that have real good deals on cajun and other hot spices.

Back when it opened, the Aquarium of the Americas was one of the best around. Not sure how well it's been restocked since Katrina, but I'd expect that's pretty good again.

New Orleans School of Cooking has demo classes daily and a hands on one on Sunday afternoons. My buddy's wife did the class and she liked it. (It'd be outside the box for foodies.)

I only did the gift shop, picking up some "Joe's Stuff" (one of their instructor's own spice blend, which goes well on popcorn). There's other spice shops around town that have real good deals on cajun and other hot spices.

Back when it opened, the Aquarium of the Americas was one of the best around. Not sure how well it's been restocked since Katrina, but I'd expect that's pretty good again.

cooking school is another one of those fun ideas. i think i mentioned it but didnt re-read the thread the WW2 museum is fantastic for a day activity too.

i dont have much as a point of reference to others but i can say the reputation of all things run by the audobon institute (zoo, aquarium, insectarium) is pretty top notch. i believe the aquarium specifically is not just back to what you saw, but expanded at this point (added a bird deck on the second floor - outdoor with netting around it as one example)

Edited by NoSaint