New Orleans

PaattMaann

cool, cool, cool....good **** guys, thanks!

NoSaint - are you a bloody mary fan?

I think you are not renting a car, but if you do, Houmas House (about 45 min-1 hr drive)is a nice plantation to visit and it also has very good lunch. Walk around in their gardens before or after lunch. I think they have special dinner times, but call them to check.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are not renting a car, but if you do, Houmas House (about 45 min-1 hr drive)is a nice plantation to visit and it also has very good lunch. Walk around in their gardens before or after lunch. I think they have special dinner times, but call them to check.

yea we opted to NOT rent a car, but we do have a friend who lives in the city who has said we may use her car if shes not using it - but we are trying to avoid borrowing her car, but thanks for the suggestion!

question for NoSaint (and anyone else in New Orleans or who has a suggestion)

my group really wants a fresh seafood rest. night (I told them, its all fresh seafood) - but they particularly want oysters...they seem to be set on ACME Oyster Bar...my question, is it worth the long wait? we are going for dinner one of the nights, so it will be packed (probably sunday night) - is there another, better oyster place option that I can sway them too rather than ACME?

question for NoSaint (and anyone else in New Orleans or who has a suggestion)

my group really wants a fresh seafood rest. night (I told them, its all fresh seafood) - but they particularly want oysters...they seem to be set on ACME Oyster Bar...my question, is it worth the long wait? we are going for dinner one of the nights, so it will be packed (probably sunday night) - is there another, better oyster place option that I can sway them too rather than ACME?

acme is pretty good - worth the wait.... depends how much you hate waits.

are they into raw oyster, or grilled?

acme is pretty good - worth the wait.... depends how much you hate waits.

are they into raw oyster, or grilled?

some have never had oysters so want to try them there...but apparently the grilled oysters are unique to ACME or something? (im personally not into oysters at all - i will be eating my fill of shrimp) - but if you say its worth the wait, then ill back off trying to talk them out of it.......and about the wait, if we go at peak hours and the waits long, I can go get a hand grenade (the drink) or hurricane and bring it while I wait, correct? that actually sounds like quite the plan

some have never had oysters so want to try them there...but apparently the grilled oysters are unique to ACME or something? (im personally not into oysters at all - i will be eating my fill of shrimp) - but if you say its worth the wait, then ill back off trying to talk them out of it.......and about the wait, if we go at peak hours and the waits long, I can go get a hand grenade (the drink) or hurricane and bring it while I wait, correct? that actually sounds like quite the plan

the wait is basically standing on the sidewalk, so you can drink whatever you want. there are two daiquiri shops within steps of it. hurricanes and hand grenades would be a few blocks.

the chargrilled arent unique to acme (one might in fact argue dragos in the hilton riverside does them better - short walk but a bit more upscale/pricey). chargrilled at either place are AWESOME, give them a shot. acme does do a nice casual meal, not out of this world expensive, really the wait is the only real drag.

if you get there and its terrible weather to stand outside in, or the wait is obscene - you can try Deanies, or red fish grill, both within the block and safe bets for reasonable seafood. bbq oysters at red fish are essentially tossed wing sauce and served with blue cheese - drool.

cool, yea the last dinner plans came down to ACME or Red Fish - so we will plan for ACME and then Red Fish if weather is bad or wait is beyond terrible

we booked a city trip/katrina trip with Celebration Tours instead of doing a swamp tour (winter) - so hopefully that will let us view a little more of the city than what we will accomplish walking around FQ and uptown...

Thanks again for all your help in helping us plan our trip...ill def let ya know how it turns out!

looking forward to the Big Easy

NoSaint or any one else with experience:

- ever been to the bar French 75, apparantely attached to Arrnaud's Rest?? I am reading great reviews on yelp/google...looking for a locals insider informartion.....I do smoke cigars so the fact that its a cigar bar (how I came across it) does not turn me away from it.....it looks like they make world class drinks (it was on esquires top 5 bars in America last year or the year before) - ever been? is it usually pretty packed? better to go on weekend or a monday when it would be presumably less busy??

Thinkin about starting one of my nights there (opens at 530 according to their website)

NoSaint or any one else with experience:

- ever been to the bar French 75, apparantely attached to Arrnaud's Rest?? I am reading great reviews on yelp/google...looking for a locals insider informartion.....I do smoke cigars so the fact that its a cigar bar (how I came across it) does not turn me away from it.....it looks like they make world class drinks (it was on esquires top 5 bars in America last year or the year before) - ever been? is it usually pretty packed? better to go on weekend or a monday when it would be presumably less busy??

Thinkin about starting one of my nights there (opens at 530 according to their website)

cant claim to be an expert on this one. it does have a good reputation, and i have enjoyed it once or twice but not a destination ive spent much time at. you summed up all id be able to say though.

• 3 months later...

What about the barbecued shrimp & grilled oysters at Dragos? And a ham po-boy at Mothers?

I have had 3 trips in the last fews months for site visits and Super Bown week.

Ate at the Bourbon House in the Crown Plaza - awesome. And whoever mentioned Deanos in the Quarter is right - delicious and not too pricey. I thought Acme House overrated and the lines were way too long. Speaking of lines - Cafe Du Monde was a 1 hour wait - so we went down Royal Street (towards Canal) and found the Beignet Cafe. Walked right in and had fresh made beignets. Delicious.

Checked out the World War 2 museum and it's restaurant. This place has quadrupled in size over the last few years and is now a "must see" attraction but allow enough time. Went to Mardi Gras World too - it was great!

What about the barbecued shrimp & grilled oysters at Dragos? And a ham po-boy at Mothers?

Ate at the Bourbon House in the Crown Plaza - awesome. And whoever mentioned Deanos in the Quarter is right - delicious and not too pricey. I thought Acme House overrated and the lines were way too long. Speaking of lines - Cafe Du Monde was a 1 hour wait - so we went down Royal Street (towards Canal) and found the Beignet Cafe. Walked right in and had fresh made beignets. Delicious.

Checked out the World War 2 museum and it's restaurant. This place has quadrupled in size over the last few years and is now a "must see" attraction but allow enough time. Went to Mardi Gras World too - it was great!

Nice to see you back posting Aussie. You bring both beauty and intelligence to this board.

yea I agree ACME was over rated, we had no line though (went in for dinner at 430) - aside from the Char Grilled Oysters everything else we had was sub par

something about getting a non seafood po-boy bothers me haha....Im sure they are good, but I can go to any local sub shop in WNY and get a ham sub!! : )

i am sad my group didnt want to make time for the WW2 museum - as a history teacher I was reeeeallllyyyyyyyy trying to go, but was vastly out numbered and its not the type of place you can pop in for an hour just to check out - I would have been in there for half a day....next time I guess....