What do you think of Gailey as an offensive coach?

jonramz

Seriously on a scale of 1-10, what do you give Gailey STRICTLY on his ability to coach an offense?

I personally think he is an above average NFL coach on the offensive side of the ball... A bit too cute at times, but the guy can scheme up an offense.

I rate him in the 7.5 - 8ish range

Overachieving on offense, underachieving on defense. I think he has done a tremendous job on offense. The O-line and TE positions were sore spots for years and now are solid. Scheme has certainly played a role. Also, look at the lack of talent at the WR and QB positions. He's getting production out of back-up caliber players there. HIs defense on the otherhand is atrocious and underachieving.

4 at best.

1) he foolishly keeps focusing on a passing game with a terrible QB rather than being a ball control and running team with our stud RBs.

2) he has been atrocious at end game play calling

-10. No excuse for throwing with a bad QB when your RB's are averaging over 6 ypc against a defense with two minutes left. To compound the situation, he does it out of an empty backfield, taking away the play action potential.

He seems to lack "situational awareness." A few recent examples:

1. Running a pass heavy, 2 minutes offense in OT last week.

2. Calling the Brad Smith hail mary last week.

3. Not attempting a 2 pt conversion vs Titans.

4. Calling pass plays nearly every time its 3rd and 2.

I think he's the worst coach the Bills have had in a long time. Look at the first preseason game. Completely unprepared. The job of HC + OC is too much for him to handle.

When a coach is 13-26 he should have the humility to hand over the playcalling

Bills are 14th in points scored per game... with offensive talent other then CJ Spiller that was drafted late or undrafted. Is the offense really the problem?

Bills are 14th in points scored per game... with offensive talent other then CJ Spiller that was drafted late or undrafted. Is the offense really the problem?

To some degree, yes. Gailey can wring production out of a turnip. While that is good, who wants to walk into a gun fight with a loaded turnip?

Suppose instead that Gailey insisted on getting great offensive talent out of the draft, etc. Suppose the Bills could decide to ground and pound it, throw every down, or whatever they wanted and actually execute the offense du jour well? It opens up the playbook. It takes some pressure off. It lets them control the tempo of the game a bit. Instead, the Bills spend most of their time and resources waffling back and forth on the defensive side of the ball and have a guy that can't coach his way out of a paper bag running that side of the show.

To some degree, yes. Gailey can wring production out of a turnip. While that is good, who wants to walk into a gun fight with a loaded turnip?

Suppose instead that Gailey insisted on getting great offensive talent out of the draft, etc. Suppose the Bills could decide to ground and pound it, throw every down, or whatever they wanted and actually execute the offense du jour well? It opens up the playbook. It takes some pressure off. It lets them control the tempo of the game a bit. Instead, the Bills spend most of their time and resources waffling back and forth on the defensive side of the ball and have a guy that can't coach his way out of a paper bag running that side of the show.

Agree with your points... In my best guess, I think the Bills are trying to build a dominant defense and have Gailey wring that production out of a turnip to score 21-24 points a game to win. Obviously the defense is terrible. But just looking at the people they have signed and drafted in the past couple years, the defense appears to be the priority because they believe Chan can scheme up enough points to win

That gameplan was beautiful yesterday. Gailey is a great play caller at times. But the problem is he thinks he can do it with average to below average talent. his QBs have been terrible through his coaching career. The gameplan yesterday could have been run by a high school QB. Screen, screen, screen, 10 yard pass. Why Gailey settles for average to below average QBs is beyond me. and that will ulitmately be his undoing.

i really wish at some point we had gotten the chance to see him work with a qb that was potentially special (had all the tools). at this point, i dont suspect that we will get that chance. i dont foresee him being back short of a great run that i dont think we are consistent enough to pull off. im not going to totally blow off the season, but i dont expect us to run off a long stretch of wins. ive been in the 9-7 crowd but i think we come up a little short of that at this point

i really wish at some point we had gotten the chance to see him work with a qb that was potentially special (had all the tools). at this point, i dont suspect that we will get that chance. i dont foresee him being back short of a great run that i dont think we are consistent enough to pull off. im not going to totally blow off the season, but i dont expect us to run off a long stretch of wins. ive been in the 9-7 crowd but i think we come up a little short of that at this point

I just look at Carolina and wonder what he could do with Cam Newton if he can do this with Fitz.

And to think Indy gets 2 #1 picks and gets Manning and Luck. It's not fair sometimes.