Can't put this one on Fitz...

rolly

The Titans were 10-for-16 converting either 3rd or 4th downs. They scored 7 points on each of the first three possessions of the game. In the end, 390 total net yards gashed against the worst defense in the league. And some of you have the nerve to point the finger at anybody on offense for this loss?

Guys, blaming Fitzpatrick for this loss is like scolding your 5-year-old when he crashes the family station wagon after you've given him the keys.

Some of you sad people spend every waking hour of your week saying Fitzpatrick is a water boy, yet you apparently expect him to react like Eli or Drew Brees or Brady on the final drive of the game? Do you guys read your comments before you click "Post"?

I dunno, maybe if the D were to hold Tennessee to a FG on one of their five TD drives, the game would've been ours. Whaddya think? Or perhaps our absent "Senator" George Wilson can catch a ball that hits him in the chest, the game ends with a Hasselbeck INT.

Bottom line, whether you love him or hate him, Fitzpatrick led the team on five scoring drives. For some of you people to still be howling for (and expecting) more from him -- even though we know you know he sucks, and have to suffer your brilliant "Fitzcrappy" comments all freakin' week -- is nothing short of hypocrisy. Or maybe insanity is more appropriate.

First of all, it was four drives, unless Fitz apologists want to take credit for the Brad Smith TD return.

In terms of comparing him to the QB's you mentioned, I'd say no, I expect him to act the opposite of those guys and he lived up to expectations. What I don't get is that people seem to want to put a limit on blame for this team's shortcomings. "It's all on the defense, don't blame Fitz!" "It was the play call, don't blame Fitz!" "If George Wilson catches that INT, we win!"

It is on the defense and it was a brutal play call and Wilson should have caught that ball. But the fact remains, when we needed him most, Fitz choked. You make the argument yourself when you make the 5 year old analogy, which suggests giving Fitz (the 5 year old) any responsibility a normal NFL QB would have (like throwing the football) is an irresponsible thing to do. He is an NFL QB, a QB that many here have labelled as a good starter. If he is so good, why not give him the keys to the car? Just once I'd like people here to admit that he blew it. His decision gave the Titans the ball and put them in a position to win. Was it a brutal call? Sure. Should we have run the ball and bleeded the clock? Probably. However we didn't and Fitz did not execute. Plain and simple.

I don't debate the defense sucks. Nobody here does...read the posts and show me where anybody supports this defense. They are historically brutal. But to ignore Fitz's role in this loss is putting your head in the sand. So yeah, I have the nerve to go after Fitz as well as the defense.

This is ridiculous.

If a closer in baseball strikes out FIVE in a tie game the last two innings, but on the last batter, the manager calls for a hanging curveball and it gets blasted to Mars and the game is blown, do we say "well, he had a good game, its not his fault?"

Fits blew the game. He threw the ball...a terrible throw....when FOOTBALL 101 calls for a running play.

Great analogy.

Edited by Marauder24

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, it was four drives, unless Fitz apologists want to take credit for the Brad Smith TD return.

First of all, three TDs and two FGS equals five drives. You don't have to be an apologist to know how to count.

As far as all this "when we needed him the most" garbage, it's becoming a very thing gruel. We need every player to perform on every play all game long. And, when a QB that most of you chalk up as a jock-sniffer helps compile 27 points against any team, a defense even worth .02 should be able to make that stand up, especially at home, especially against a suspect team.

Fitzpatrick did more to put us in a position to win that game than the defense did. That's the argument.

If our defense played worth a damn, we're not discussing a Fitzpatrick INT right now.

Edited by Kaz

OK, let's hear 'em! Edit: current QBs only please.

Every other starting QB in the NFL accept Gabbert, Skelton, Tennehill, Weeden, Cutler (he'd throw a Pic6), Romo, Rivers & Stafford...OK, so 23.

Every other starting QB in the NFL accept Gabbert, Skelton, Tennehill, Weeden, Cutler (he'd throw a Pic6), Romo, Rivers & Stafford...OK, so 23.

*Romo blows, Rivers swallows and chokes and Stafford McWierdface can't throw a TD even with the best WR in the game.

I told my son before the beginning of the season this team would falter because of Fitzpatrick. My son did not believe me he said the defense would me much better and Fitz would play much better after healing. Well I guess he knows I was right. His constant turnovers last year made the defense look a lot worse than what it really was. Now he is doing it again and you wonder why we lose. Yes I place the blame on Fitzpatrick and now so does my son. Yes the defense is bad but a lot of that can be contributed to being put in to a position to fail both by coaches and by the turnovers.

First of all, three TDs and two FGS equals five drives. You don't have to be an apologist to know how to count.

As far as all this "when we needed him the most" garbage, it's becoming a very thing gruel. We need every player to perform on every play all game long. And, when a QB that most of you chalk up as a jock-sniffer helps compile 27 points against any team, a defense even worth .02 should be able to make that stand up, especially at home, especially against a suspect team.

Fitzpatrick did more to put us in a position to win that game than the defense did. That's the argument.

If our defense played worth a damn, we're not discussing a Fitzpatrick INT right now.

If you bothered to read the post I was responding to, the author states five TD drives. Look it up.

The facts are the defense were not worth two cents. That's never been disputed by anyone. Therefore we are discussing the pick Fitz threw. That's reality. To say that I am absolving the defense of blame for their crappy performance is absurd. But the QB still has to make the play in that situation. He didn't.

In the Jets / Pats* game, Brady made the plays after his defense and ST's almost cost the game. He played with the hand he was dealt. I wish Fitz would do the same.

If you bothered to read the post I was responding to, the author states five TD drives. Look it up.

The facts are the defense were not worth two cents. That's never been disputed by anyone. Therefore we are discussing the pick Fitz threw. That's reality. To say that I am absolving the defense of blame for their crappy performance is absurd. But the QB still has to make the play in that situation. He didn't.

In the Jets / Pats* game, Brady made the plays after his defense and ST's almost cost the game. He played with the hand he was dealt. I wish Fitz would do the same.

Fitz did play the hand he was dealt. Unfortunately, as many here know, he is unable to play it in a way that an elite quarterback can. He came up small when the team needed him to come up big. Why does he continue to make poor decisions at the most inopportune times? He has proven oven the last year that he is not a good quarterback. He has some good moments, but when it is crunch time, he is bad. Look at the last drive of the game. Pathetic. Yes the defense is horrible, but that fact doesn't absolve Fitz.

1Q 13 plays 7 min 37 sec TD

2Q 10 plays 6 min 22 sec FG

10 plays 1 min 47 sec FG

3Q 7 plays 3min 53 sec TD

9 plays 4 min 36 sec TD

Do you really want to make this an issue of being a "Fitz apologist" if one can read a box score? 3 TD + 2 FG, Five scoring drives is factually correct.

Really?

Here is the post in its entirety, from Kaz. Looks like it says "Five scoring drives" with regard to the Bills not "5 TD drives" - and if it said the latter, your response of "four" would also be incorrect now wouldn't it? I don't know why this is irking me, I 'spose I'm tired of people who don't trouble to fact-check whilst painting anyone who disagrees with them in absolute terms (If one can count, it makes one a "Fitz apologist"?)

The Titans were 10-for-16 converting either 3rd or 4th downs. They scored 7 points on each of the first three possessions of the game. In the end, 390 total net yards gashed against the worst defense in the league. And some of you have the nerve to point the finger at anybody on offense for this loss?

Guys, blaming Fitzpatrick for this loss is like scolding your 5-year-old when he crashes the family station wagon after you've given him the keys.

Some of you sad people spend every waking hour of your week saying Fitzpatrick is a water boy, yet you apparently expect him to react like Eli or Drew Brees or Brady on the final drive of the game? Do you guys read your comments before you click "Post"?

I dunno, maybe if the D were to hold Tennessee to a FG on one of their five TD drives, the game would've been ours. Whaddya think? Or perhaps our absent "Senator" George Wilson can catch a ball that hits him in the chest, the game ends with a Hasselbeck INT.

Bottom line, whether you love him or hate him, Fitzpatrick led the team on five scoring drives. For some of you people to still be howling for (and expecting) more from him -- even though we know you know he sucks, and have to suffer your brilliant "Fitzcrappy" comments all freakin' week -- is nothing short of hypocrisy. Or maybe insanity is more appropriate.

My bottom line, Fitz and the offense did not play a mistake-free game and they also put up enough points to win - the D lost the game. It would be nice if we had a brilliant QB who could lead us to victory with an amazing 1 minute drive like Tom Brady, and we don't. Deal. That's no reason why we shouldn't be able to field a moderately competent defense that could, oh, I don't know, maybe keep it down to 40% 3rd down conversion or haul in a TO from time to time?

Edited by Hopeful

My bottom line, Fitz and the offense did not play a mistake-free game and they also put up enough points to win - the D lost the game. It would be nice if we had a brilliant QB who could lead us to victory with an amazing 1 minute drive like Tom Brady, and we don't. Deal. That's no reason why we shouldn't be able to field a moderately competent defense that could, oh, I don't know, maybe keep it down to 40% 3rd down conversion or haul in a TO from time to time?

They put up 7 less than what the score indicates. that's 8 less than Tennessees' total.

And the D kind of helped keep the game close early in the 4th until Fitz "threw it away"

1Q 13 plays 7 min 37 sec TD

2Q 10 plays 6 min 22 sec FG

10 plays 1 min 47 sec FG

3Q 7 plays 3min 53 sec TD

9 plays 4 min 36 sec TD

Do you really want to make this an issue of being a "Fitz apologist" if one can read a box score? 3 TD + 2 FG, Five scoring drives is factually correct.

Really?

Here is the post in its entirety, from Kaz. Looks like it says "Five scoring drives" with regard to the Bills not "5 TD drives" - and if it said the latter, your response of "four" would also be incorrect now wouldn't it? I don't know why this is irking me, I 'spose I'm tired of people who don't trouble to fact-check whilst painting anyone who disagrees with them in absolute terms (If one can count, it makes one a "Fitz apologist"?)

Yep. Read it incorrectly.

However, why should I have to "deal"? You are saying that it's ok to have a QB who cannot win in the last minute because our defense sucks. But what the hell, it's the Bills and we've not seen the playoffs this century, so that's ok. Fitz is a lunch bucket guy! He represents us!

I'd submit there are $60 million reasons he should not be choking in big games, regardless of our horrendous defense. He's not paid to make an ill-fated, game-changing decision.

He threw the Int that cost the game, When you have a defense that is struggling horrible you need to a little more careful & Shitspatrick & Choke Gailey can't get it threw their thick skulls to RUN THE BALL when you need too

What the defense has sucked all day & you think its gonna change & they win the game? get real All Shitspatrick had to do was hand off to Spiller or hell run it yourself but don't throw the ball down the field at that point

We got the Texans & Patriots after the bye go head & mark them as loses & hope then hope we lose the rest so we can go get a REAL QB In the Draft thats if we don't take another F#*king DB

Exactly - Chan is a F'n IDIOT for putting the game in Fitzpatriks hands at that point. RUN THE F'N BALL CHAN you moron!

Maybe Fitz was trying anything and everything he could to get a first down because he didn't have any faith in his defense if we had to punt?

Think about it. If Powell gets off another 22 yard punt, that puts the Titans on about their own 40 which is where they were after the first play when it was 2nd and 18. Probably worth the gamble. Just too bad it didn't work out.

Stopping the other team from going 60 yards to get a TD to save the win shouldn't be too much to ask.

Edited by reddogblitz

Maybe Fitz was trying anything and everything he could to get a first down because he didn't have any faith in his defense if we had to punt?

Think about it. If Powell gets off another 22 yard punt, that puts the Titans on about their own 40 which is where they were after the first play when it was 2nd and 18. Probably worth the gamble. Just too bad it didn't work out.

Stopping the other team from going 60 yards to get a TD to save the win shouldn't be too much to ask.

and that is the bottom line, it is just too bad the Fitz haters are myopic and don't understand football.

and that is the bottom line, it is just too bad the Fitz haters are myopic and don't understand football.

Fitz made a wrong read and a horrible throw on that INT. It's too bad the Fitz lovers are myopic and don't understand football.

Fitz made a wrong read and a horrible throw on that INT. It's too bad the Fitz lovers are myopic and don't understand football.

Yeah, he did. It was easy to see why though. As soon as I saw the coverage I knew he was going to Jones. Ironically, I think the Titans CB blew his coverage by staying with Jones. Pre-snap, Fitz could see the S cheating towards Jones with five defenders lined up in zone coverage. Seeing that I think Fitz made the assumption that the CB was gonna stay in his zone and that Jones would get behind him on his go route and the throw would be there before the safety got to Jones. But the CB never sat. By not sitting, Stevie was WIDE OPEN on the play and I gotta believe Stevie was the receiver the original play was intended to go to. The Titans got lucky, imo.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

and Fitz let the Titans ultimately go 60 yards in 7 plays capped by a 4th and 9 TD. Oh, that's right Fitz plays on the offense, silly me how could I forget. How much footbal you know? :wallbash:

and Fitz let the Titans ultimately go 60 yards in 7 plays capped by a 4th and 9 TD. Oh, that's right Fitz plays on the offense, silly me how could I forget. How much footbal you know? :wallbash:

Fitz gave them the ball 60 yards away from the end zone. They don't have the ball, they don't score. Or is that above your head?

However, why should I have to "deal"? You are saying that it's ok to have a QB who cannot win in the last minute because our defense sucks. But what the hell, it's the Bills and we've not seen the playoffs this century, so that's ok. Fitz is a lunch bucket guy! He represents us!

I'd submit there are $60 million reasons he should not be choking in big games, regardless of our horrendous defense. He's not paid to make an ill-fated, game-changing decision.

*sigh* Now that we've dealt with the "read it incorrectly" can we deal with the "you are saying" followed by words with no resemblence to anything actually said?

I'm saying that

1) QB who can win those last-minute, clutch drives are few and far between. There are a handful of them in the league right now, and news flash: even they don't always come through. That's why some stats mavens track a statistic called "comebacks". If even great QB did this regularly, they'd be called "routine". Moreover, the finding of these QB is a hit-and-miss thing. One can not guarantee oneself of same by drafting at #1 or even in the 1st round - that just improves it to a 50/50 proposition

2) Nevertheless, teams win, and go to the playoffs on a regular basis without such quarterbacks

3) Therefore, one might wish to look at the process by which 2) is achieved. It typically involves having a defense which is strong enough, once the team has a lead, of maintaining said lead therefore avoiding the need for last-minute heroics.

Hope this clarifies what I'm saying. And by the way, if Fitz actually were one of those handful of guys who can win those last minute clutch drives, we'd be paying him a lot more than $60 million. Fitz is being paid like a 10th to 15th ranked QB, which is better than he's playing right now, but appropriate for abilities he had demonstrated previous to the signing.

For some reason, a lot of QB who were good last year are really struggling - not comparing Fitz to them, but just go look at the NFL QB rankings. Strange.

Fitz gave them the ball 60 yards away from the end zone. They don't have the ball, they don't score. Or is that above your head?

Defense doesn't give up long drive after long drive after long drive all day long and the Bills don't have to worry about it being another nail biter and we win going away.

Sure he screwed the pooch at the end but it never should have come down to that if he had a little help a D. A stop here and there and take away or two maybe?

Why does the D that totally sucked all day get a pass and Pears who held on the completion to Chandler get a pass and the 22 yard punter get a pass yet Fitz gets no pass even though he played great all day?

Makes no sense to me.

Edited by reddogblitz

Defense doesn't give up long drive after long drive after long drive all day long and the Bills don't have to worry about it being another nail biter and we win going away.

Sure he screwed the pooch at the end but it never should have come down to that if he had a little help a D. A stop here and there and take away or two maybe?

Why does the D that totally sucked all day get a pass and Pears who held on the completion to Chandler get a pass and the 22 yard punter get a pass yet Fitz gets no pass even though he played great all day?

Makes no sense to me.

So your point is that since Fitzpatrick can't be relied on to move the offense more than 8 yards in 52 seconds, we should just be happy that he didn't throw his usual 3 interceptions? If that's so, then why get so down on the defense. They've sucked all year and can't be relied on either!