Have you ever been a hard-core fan of a team that actually won a Champ

Damian

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills, Sabres & Mets. Eff the Spankees!!! I also follow Duke & Syracuse basketball but to a much lesser extent. I was 8 when the Mets won it in ’86 and that Championship is what started me on the road to being a Mets fan. Definitely was not a diehard at that time so I have yet to experience the elation of a Championship. While I am a really big Mets fan now, even if they win another World Series, it would not quite compare to seeing the Bills hoist the Lombardi Trophy or the Sabres hoist Lord Stanley’s cup. I chose to be a Mets fan, I was born into being a Bills and Sabres fan.

Football : Bills... they won the AFC Championship 4 times... does that count? :/

Hockey : Nordiques. Won the NHL Championship in like 1908. They were called the Bulldogs, and I was not around. (sports fans in Québec City are so damn abnoxious nowadays, I want no part of that team if ever they come back. Still coolest sports jersey to me 'though)

Hockey II : Team Canada (couple of gold medals)

Baseball : Expos (realized baseball was a boring sport even before they left so I can't care less now)

Soccer : France - World Cup 98, Euro '00. It was great!!!

Marc in Montréal

I have, but it didnt mean that much to me as I will still too young to full understand the meaning. Being 25 now I fully understand what it takes/means to win it all.

Chicago Bulls

Atlanta Braves

Bills

sabres

Notre Dame (Props to being 5-0) Cant wait for that game against Oklahoma!

Bills ..so 64 and 65 were pretty cool

Sabres....one day...one day....

Pirates...still remember Mazeroski hitting that homer in 1960. the 71 and 79 seasons were great also.

The local HS my girls went to have won the large school hoops championship 7 times since

1990 and we went to all of those. Also lost 4 times in the final game in that span.

Ahhhhhh, the good ole' days. My bro and I went to the BISON'S GAME when they won the Championship about 13 years ago. We woooped it up and relished in the BUFFALO CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Not really huge baseball fans but we figured it we might as well celebrate Buffalo winning the BIG ONE !!! OH YEAH!!!! Anyone else make it to that game?? Never forget that one.

:flirt:

To me the greatest thing about being a Bills fan is knowing that if we ever win a championship it would be very unique to our fanbase. We would be winning our championship in the USA's most popular sport. We would win it in the biggest sporting event of the year. It would come after nearly 50 years of heartache.(Very few other NFL squads have waited this long. Browns or Lions?) Most importantly it wouldn't be purchased.

I could become a die hard Yankees fan and all but guarantee myself a championship experience in the next 10 years. With the Bills I have to earn it. So in my opinion there would be no comparison for any other teams in any other sports.

I grew up a few blocks away from Shea Stadium (RIP), so I'm a Mets fan by default. I was 12 when they won it all in '86.

All of my friends were Jets fans, but I wanted a team that actually played in New York. (Who knew that would be a punchline all these years later?) So I became a Bills fan in the early '80s. We all know the history there.

I don't follow any other sports religiously, so I can't claim to be a fan of any other team. But I do know what it's like for one of "my teams" to win it all -- and there was no better feeling at 12.

My Expos never won anything.

The closest I got was 1980 US Hockey. I was eight. But I still get chills every time I see that clock count down.

I bet the word "strike" in any context sends shivers down your spine. They had it all in '94... I have a friend who was an Expos fan and he hasn't gotten over it till this day.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

NC State - 1983 NCAA Basketball champions. I grew up in WNY, went to school there, graduated in '82 and was on campus the night the won the championship. It was quite an experince - people running wild, everyone happy, parties until early in the morning, etc. I also recall praying that if God let State win the game (against Phi Slamma Jamma) that I'd never ask for another championship for a team I root for - so I may be the reason the Bills haven't won a SB....my apologies.

I grew up a few blocks away from Shea Stadium (RIP), so I'm a Mets fan by default. I was 12 when they won it all in '86.

All of my friends were Jets fans, but I wanted a team that actually played in New York. (Who knew that would be a punchline all these years later?) So I became a Bills fan in the early '80s. We all know the history there.

I don't follow any other sports religiously, so I can't claim to be a fan of any other team. But I do know what it's like for one of "my teams" to win it all -- and there was no better feeling at 12.

I bet the word "strike" in any context sends shivers down your spine. They had it all in '94... I have a friend who was an Expos fan and he hasn't gotten over it till this day.

BA

Though an O's fan, I loved the Expos as well. I stayed home from school to watch them against the Dodgers in 1980 (I believe) and cried when Rick Monday hit that homer off Steve Rogers. 1994 was a travesty. That was as good a team as there has been in the history of baseball. You're right when you say they had it all. I submit that baseball would still be in Montreal if that season played out.

This might seem stupid to some of you, but the AHL Binghamton Senators finally won a Calder Cup for Binghamton in 2011 after 38 years of pro hockey in Binghamton. We got swept in the finals in 82 when we were the Whalers and we were the favorites to win a couple times, once in the mid nineties as the Rangers when we set the (still standing) AHL record for most points in a season, and then during the NHL-lockout season a few years back we were the favorites to win then too with Spezza MVP of the league and Ray Emery in net. We got bounced in the first two round of the playoffs those times, once by the damn Amerks; we lost to them 3 years in a row in the playoffs in fact.

It might just be AHL to most of you, but for our family at least it was special. I've been going to those AHL games my whole life so it was a thrill to see them do it after 27 years for me, the full 38 for my dad and uncle.

I actually felt like if the Senators could do it, the Bills could too, especially given that the Senators came in 5th place in their own division and came back from a 3-1 deficit in the first round. Then that fall the Bills finally beat the Patriots and went 4-0 the week after that. Obviously it didn't work out but you never know. We had some bad games to start this year, but it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Fitz has played some really good football and some bad football. So we've seen the bad so far, let's see if he can get some of that Fitzmagic going here in the second half of the season.