So, if Merriman has any impact what does that tell you?

Beerball

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It tells me that the Bills thought their prize free agent additions Anderson/Williams along with Kyle Moore who impressed the coaching staff would produce. It says that they recognized that this team needs depth with Anderson injured, and the overall lackluster performance. Look not at the former price tag, and look that we have a fresh body who's the locker room respects and is a vocal leader, and that the Bills probably made a business decision letting him go and a smart football decision bringing him back. That's football in a nutshell

The reason they cut him is because Kyle Moore showed them that he had a lot of skill as a pass rusher, and with Mario, And Anderson as pass rushers, along with Kelsay warranting some plays, it wasn't worth paying Merriman $4 mil and losing Kyle Moore.

I can see how someone may slightly disagree with that logic, but I don't really see how anyone could not see why that may be the right move, or to be clueless. They put Kyle Moore in and he played very well, showing that skill and the faith they had in him. Meanwhile, no one signed Merriman.

Now, Mark Anderson is hurt, and out for at least a month. Spencer Johnson is hurt and may not be back this week. So they sign a guy they know and they like, who has had two more months to rehab his bad achillees. If he plays well, it's a bonus. The chances are not all that good that he is going to be great. But if he is solid, it doesn't mean they were stupid or clueless before. The same reasoning stands.

Homer. ;)

we needed a vocal defensive guy and he might be the shout that is needed to pump the defense up and hopefully he can contribute on the field also but time will tell as they need to show more intensity ...............

Exactly. It tells me that there isn't a talent deficiency, there was a lack of leadership.

if beliceck and the pats do it, its shrewd, cut-throat, and the type of no-holds barred front office manuevering of an NFL front office that has one thing in mind: winning a super bowl at all costs.

if the bills do it, it's because we have a 96 year old owner who is senile and can't keep track of the finances of his team, an aging gm who is clueless to how the NFL works, and is grasping at straws by bringing back someone who used to be good, and is living off name recognition alone, a coach who has no control over the defensive side of the football, and a defensive coordinator who doesnt know how to properly utilize the talent he's been given, and now wants a second chance at merriman, because after reading twobillsdrive.com, he discovered something called a "blitz" and is interested in incorporating it into upcoming game plans.

The reason they cut him is because Kyle Moore showed them that he had a lot of skill as a pass rusher, and with Mario, And Anderson as pass rushers, along with Kelsay warranting some plays, it wasn't worth paying Merriman $4 mil and losing Kyle Moore.

I can see how someone may slightly disagree with that logic, but I don't really see how anyone could not see why that may be the right move, or to be clueless. They put Kyle Moore in and he played very well, showing that skill and the faith they had in him. Meanwhile, no one signed Merriman.

Now, Mark Anderson is hurt, and out for at least a month. Spencer Johnson is hurt and may not be back this week. So they sign a guy they know and they like, who has had two more months to rehab his bad achillees. If he plays well, it's a bonus. The chances are not all that good that he is going to be great. But if he is solid, it doesn't mean they were stupid or clueless before. The same reasoning stands.

:thumbsup:

Just wondering, he wasn't picked up by any other team, but the Bills should know him better than anyone at this point. If he contributes what does that tell you about this staff?

That this year they cut some guys who can contribute? (Edwards, Merriman)?

Anderson is done for the season, and we'll never be able to get a do-over to see whether or not we made the right choices on who to cut.

I had no quarrel with choosing to keep a couple young, developmental players.

Edited by Hopeful

That this year they cut some guys who can contribute? (Edwards, Merriman)?

Anderson is done for the season, and we'll never be able to get a do-over to see whether or not we made the right choice.

second time i've heard this today, but it's not on buffalorumblings.

link?

Things like this happen often in pro sports, players get released by one staff and catch on somewhere else and prove everyone wrong..

I think if he comes back and has success the coaching staff should get credit for at least not being too stubborn to get him back in the picture. Not like any other team picked him up and he went and had success there.

It tells me that the Bills thought their prize free agent additions Anderson/Williams along with Kyle Moore who impressed the coaching staff would produce. It says that they recognized that this team needs depth with Anderson injured, and the overall lackluster performance. Look not at the former price tag, and look that we have a fresh body who's the locker room respects and is a vocal leader, and that the Bills probably made a business decision letting him go and a smart football decision bringing him back. That's football in a nutshell

This.

OK, but to play devil's advocate, if Merriman can be picked up off the street and comes in and has a decided impact on the defensive performance, and he was already in hand at the time, then how was it that the Bills prized those free agents that contributed to some of the worst defensive performances in NFL history? Why was his leadership overlooked until his ineffective replacement went down for a month or more with an injury? If it was about saving a little money, why trade for a more expensive Tarvaris Jackson who, it was promised, will never play when cheaper options to run the scout team are still available?

IF productive, it tells me they got a guy back who is familiar with the system (and won't need an extensive orientation), knows the strength and weaknesses of division opponents, and knows a lot about the guys he will be working with.

Kyle Moore showed nice body lean on a sack last week. They're going to need plays from him being their third on depth chart. Edited by Thunderstealer