The AFC Playoff Picture is Wide Open

AC4 IN ATL

For the first time in several years, the top tier AFC teams aren't what they used to be. As of now, there really isnt a clear cut, without a doubt, top tier echelon group of team(s). If we are ever to make a playoff push, this is the year! There finally seems to be some parity in the AFC and we need to get out *&%$% together, and take advantage of it.

Just a few examples:

• Houston - Very good team, but didn't look like it last night and can be beaten.
  • New England - Very good team, but they are 3-3 and are slowly becoming inconsistent week to week
  • Baltimore - Very good team, but are now going to have to deal with injuries and a tough division
  • Pittsburgh - Good team, battling Injuries and an overall again roster
  • San Diego, Denver, Jets - All decent teams but are beatable

I'm not ready to say we are or aren't making the playoffs, and it certainly won't be easy with a underperforming QB and a porous defense, but for the first time in years we have a legitimate chance based on our remaining schedule and the recent struggles of the top echelon teams. Let's hope they can get it together and make a playoff push in December. (Which will also fill those December seats at the Ralph)

Here's to cautious optimism.....

I've been seeing a lot of talk about how we can contend for a playoff spot, but really, I think it's still very possible. We might not be a good enough team to win in the playoffs, but we can still sneak into a spot based on how things are going around the rest of the conference.

Baltimore, Houston and NE seem like guarantees, but other than that it's hard to really predict anything.

“What’s that? Ah, playoffs? Don’t talk about – playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game.”

Just don’t talk about the playoffs. You kidding me? Playoffs?

- Jim Mora

I've been seeing a lot of talk about how we can contend for a playoff spot, but really, I think it's still very possible. We might not be a good enough team to win in the playoffs, but we can still sneak into a spot based on how things are going around the rest of the conference.

Baltimore, Houston and NE seem like guarantees, but other than that it's hard to really predict anything.

(In my dreams but) IF the Refs flag the Putz honeslty, they are not the greatest, FACT replacement refs 8 flags per game, real refs v Buff 5 to 1. Sun in Seattle 10 flags. 3 (4 or less flags)- 3 (8 or more flags)

The Denver game was kind of even 6 flags to 6 BUT 3 flags went against Denver on one series. 3rd QTR 04:42 left - DEN 7 NE 31. When the flags stopped flying 14 points by Denver in the final 20 minutes.

Ravens just lost 2 KEY defenders, Houston should take their division even though they just took an asswhoopin.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

For the first time in several years, the top tier AFC teams aren't what they used to be. As of now, there really isnt a clear cut, without a doubt, top tier echelon group of team(s). If we are ever to make a playoff push, this is the year! There finally seems to be some parity in the AFC and we need to get out *&%$% together, and take advantage of it.

Just a few examples:

• Houston - Very good team, but didn't look like it last night and can be beaten.
  • New England - Very good team, but they are 3-3 and are slowly becoming inconsistent week to week
  • Baltimore - Very good team, but are now going to have to deal with injuries and a tough division

I'm not ready to say we are or aren't making the playoffs, and it certainly won't be easy with a underperforming QB and a porous defense, but for the first time in years we have a legitimate chance based on our remaining schedule and the recent struggles of the top echelon teams. Let's hope they can get it together and make a playoff push in December. (Which will also fill those December seats at the Ralph)

I think there will be two spots between Buffalo, Jets, Chargers and Steelers. Until Buffalo can at least beat an AFC East team, I don't see much happening. I think San Diego falls apart and Denver runs away with the division. Jets are playing very well and that game in New England this weekend is going to tell A LOT about the front runner in the division. If the Jets win or even play a good game and lose, I see them taking a spot. Don't sleep on Miami especially if Tannehill keeps playing well.

Basically, it's a crap shoot

Just a few examples:

I was thinking about this as well, except for the Bills of course :). How ugly are these stats: Only 2 teams in AFC have a winning record, 7 in NFC; 9 teams in AFC with a .500 record or better, 11 in NFC.

I still think Houston is the favorite in the AFC, although losing Cushing is a big loss. Throw the Packers game out, just a bad game by Houston. Going to come down to Houston and NE in the AFC. NE schedule down the stretch is very favorable with home games vs Houston and the 49ers. In the NFC, I am not buying the Falcons. I am buying the GMEN, Bears and 49ers.

if you look at our division, new englands remaining schedule is easy as can be. it would have made a big difference had we managed to hold on to that lead against them at home. i know things may have played out different in this alternate universe i'm constructing, but if the patriots were 2-4, and we were 4-2, their season would be on the brink, and we would be sitting pretty. that didnt happen, though, so...

as it is, it is hard.. very hard... (thats what she said) to look at their schedule and talk yourself into them NOT winning the division.

so that leaves us fighting for a wildcard.

concede the north to baltimore, the south to houston and the west to either the broncos or the chargers (i lean towards denver.) that leaves you with:

jets 3-3

dolphins 3-3

bills 3-3

chargers 3-3

bengals 3-3

steelers 2-3

for 2 wild card spots.

thats a tough group to beat out, but the records of those teams are all .500, or a game below. although it's a small sample of games that have been played thus far, it seems that the middle of the conference is hovering at .500. its hard to see TWO of those teams breaking away from that distribution of winning pct, and going more than 1 game over .500. one team certainly will, so i like the 5 seed to be 10-6, but the 6 seed SHOULD be 9-7. this is due to the afc's low win pct. against the nfc so far this year. this doesnt always happen - 11-5 patriots in 08 missed the playoffs.

UNFORTUNATELY, out of that grouping of 6 teams, the buffalo bills have the hardest remaining strength of schedule, although the difference between us, and the 5th place strength of schedule is 5 pct. points, which is statistically insignificant, but still... we do have the hardest.

the chargers remaining schedule is a cake walk. 4 games against teams that only have 1 win at this point, 6 games overall against teams that are under .500 right now. that means that the chargers only need to win 1 "hard" game to get that 5 seed. can they? will they? who knows, the league is so unpredictable.

BOTTOM LINE: we need to win our divisional games. it's so important, it can't be overstated. if we can go 4-0 in the division to close the year, we're going to the playoffs, it's as simple as that.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Uh, the North is WIIIIIIIIIIDE open.

After the Ray Lewis injury, and with Suggs still slow to come back, there's absolutely no guarntee WHATSOEVER that the Ravens are a lock, as most here have purported.

You can't count Cincy out and Pittsburgh is relatively weak this year.

After the Ray Lewis injury, and with Suggs still slow to come back, there's absolutely no guarntee WHATSOEVER that the Ravens are a lock, as most here have purported.

true, what a crazy year it will be.

even in years when we DONT make the playoffs, (which is every year for the last decade and a half, lol) we're still not mathematically eliminated until the very end of the year. if i remember correctly, even that game against the titans at home last year had playoff implications for us (although the odds were EXTREMELY long.)

my only point being, as long as we can stay right there in the middle of the pack, those games at the end of the season are going to be extremely meaningful for us, and they are somewhat winnable.

how fun would it be if the NFL flexes that week 17 game against the jets to primetime... 8-7 bills v. 8-7 jets, for the 6 seed, at home, win and you're in, the night before new years eve, maybe snow in the air... god i love football... if THAT game has playoff implications, ill consider this season a success.

GO BILLS!

Baltimore has already played 4 home games as well. Things get a lot tougher with 6 of their last 10 on the road.

In fact, of the teams listed above as contending for playoff spots the Bills, Pats and Cincy have all only had 2 home games vs. 4 road thus far. That puts them in favorable positions going down the stretch.

I put home games as a more important factor than trying to divine strength of schedule.

Baltimore has already played 4 home games as well. Things get a lot tougher with 6 of their last 10 on the road.

In fact, of the teams listed above as contending for playoff spots the Bills, Pats and Cincy have all only had 2 home games vs. 4 road thus far. That puts them in favorable positions going down the stretch.

I put home games as a more important factor than trying to divine strength of schedule.

So true - As bad as the Bills looked in their losses, it can't be discounted that they have managed to get to 2-2 on the road, and what was easily their toughest home matchup of the year (NE) is behind them.

6-2 at home plus 4-4 on the road is a typical way to get to 10-6. Can they do either? I am not betting money against Tennessee this week, mind you, but the Bills are still in position to succeed. It would probably be the Colts and Dolphins to end the year 4-4 on the road. 5 out of 6 at home has to come from TENN, MIA, SEA*, JAX, STL, NYJ. They have to play decently, obviously, but they don't have to be amazing to manage that.

Obviously the way they have been playing in detail hasn't been encouraging. But put another way - the only real disappointment right now in wins and losses from where the season started is that I thought they would get one of the Jets/Pats.

It is a REALLY GOOD THING they don't have to travel to Seattle. Toronto may be a dome, but it is nothing like the loud home atmosphere in Seattle.

Just a few examples:

Yeah and the Bills are at the VERY BOTTOM of this List until proven otherwise...

Divisional wins will be the first big hurdle the Bills also have to win road games. They have two road victories so far and need to sneak out two more, the Jets and Pats would be nice ones to get. Kill two birds with one stone. I think we are seeing the decline, albeit very slow decline of the Pats and Steelers. Age is catching up to these two teams, as well in Baltimore.

If the D for Buffalo can come together and gel then the Bills could make some noise.

Chan seems to be realizing Fitz is a 'game manager' type of qb. I know, i hate that term too. But Fitz must be limited to 20-25 attempts at most. Let CJ and Freddie win you games, instead of Fitz losing you them!

I agree that once in the playoffs the Blls may not win a game, but hey no one thought Seattle would beat the Saints two years ago, crazier things happen.

So true - As bad as the Bills looked in their losses, it can't be discounted that they have managed to get to 2-2 on the road, and what was easily their toughest home matchup of the year (NE) is behind them.

6-2 at home plus 4-4 on the road is a typical way to get to 10-6. Can they do either? I am not betting money against Tennessee this week, mind you, but the Bills are still in position to succeed. It would probably be the Colts and Dolphins to end the year 4-4 on the road. 5 out of 6 at home has to come from TENN, MIA, SEA*, JAX, STL, NYJ. They have to play decently, obviously, but they don't have to be amazing to manage that.

Obviously the way they have been playing in detail hasn't been encouraging. But put another way - the only real disappointment right now in wins and losses from where the season started is that I thought they would get one of the Jets/Pats.

It is a REALLY GOOD THING they don't have to travel to Seattle. Toronto may be a dome, but it is nothing like the loud home atmosphere in Seattle.

Great points about home/away games.

I heard a lot of folks saying the Patriots were a lock to beat the Hawks in Seattle last week, so many, in fact, that I was left wondering what universe I was living in...

Well, my hunch served me right, and to echo the above: I am DAMN glad we don't have to go to their place.

Just a few examples:

And we are going to get healthier while they are popping two guys each on IR each week. Its a war of attrition that I hope we win for once....

Just a few examples:

If we don't make the playoffs (even though i'm almost certain we win), i will continue being a bills fan no matter what.

I don't like that the Ravens racked up more injuries because I thought they were overrated before then & was enjoying betting against them.

It's still going to be tough for the Bills to get to 10 wins. The "get to 4-5 & pound on the soft part of the schedule" thought proccess sorta assumed we'd sweep Miami. It's more likely we split. Seattle & Indy look like toss-up games as well. It'd be better if Jacksonville was the Toronto game instead of Seattle.