The AFC Playoff Picture is Wide Open

AC4 IN ATL

Great points about home/away games.

I heard a lot of folks saying the Patriots were a lock to beat the Hawks in Seattle last week, so many, in fact, that I was left wondering what universe I was living in...

Well, my hunch served me right, and to echo the above: I am DAMN glad we don't have to go to their place.

I watched the Seattle Pats game last night. Seattle is the #1 def and they barely beat the Pats. The Pats are still a tough football team. The only upside is that Seattle just beat the crap out of Welker, Gronk and Hernandez. They were hitting hard. Hopefully that slows them down some.

Some teams get stronger as the season goes on and others get weaker. I think the Bills have a good chance to be in the first group for once. They can still become the "dominate the lines, run the ball well, stick the ball in the endzone, get after the passer" team they were designed to be. This is looking like a 9 and 7 wildcard year in the AFC to me, but 10 wins is still a realistic end.

We are not a very good team right now, but I will wait until we actually lose the games that eliminate us before throwing in the towel. As far as I know, no team was ever disqualified from the playoffs for too many ugly wins or inferior opponents.

PTR

I think Baltimore is in trouble going forward.. I would not give them their division after 6 weeks..

But is any team in their division looking that good? The Browns, of all of them, are the only ones improving over the past few weeks. The Ravens offense should be enough to take the division, and Suggs should be back next month. Cincy and Pittsburg can still make a push, but they haven't looked at all consistent so far.

For the first time in several years, the top tier AFC teams aren't what they used to be. As of now, there really isnt a clear cut, without a doubt, top tier echelon group of team(s). If we are ever to make a playoff push, this is the year! There finally seems to be some parity in the AFC and we need to get out *&%$% together, and take advantage of it.

Just a few examples:

• Houston - Very good team, but didn't look like it last night and can be beaten.
  • New England - Very good team, but they are 3-3 and are slowly becoming inconsistent week to week
  • Baltimore - Very good team, but are now going to have to deal with injuries and a tough division
  • Pittsburgh - Good team, battling Injuries and an overall again roster
  • San Diego, Denver, Jets - All decent teams but are beatable

I'm not ready to say we are or aren't making the playoffs, and it certainly won't be easy with a underperforming QB and a porous defense, but for the first time in years we have a legitimate chance based on our remaining schedule and the recent struggles of the top echelon teams. Let's hope they can get it together and make a playoff push in December. (Which will also fill those December seats at the Ralph)

Here's to cautious optimism.....

As far as the Playoffs, this year it is wide open, but the Bills sure don't look like a playoff team. Do they have a chance? Sure they do. But, if they cannot win in the division, which they have done, what? about two times in the past 3 seasons, they won't win any tiebreakers, and it certainly looks like tiebreakers of some sort are going to come into play this year with all the parity/mediocrity.

For the first time in several years, the top tier AFC teams aren't BILLS ARE what they used to be. As of now, there really isnt a clear cut, without a doubt, top tier echelon group of team(s). If we are ever to make a playoff push, this is the year! There finally seems to be some parity in the AFC and we need to get out *&%$% together, and take advantage of it.

Just a few examples:

• Houston - Very good team, but didn't look like it last night and can be beaten.
  • New England - Very good team, but they are 3-3 and are slowly becoming inconsistent week to week
  • Baltimore - Very good team, but are now going to have to deal with injuries and a tough division
  • Pittsburgh - Good team, battling Injuries and an overall again roster
  • San Diego, Denver, Jets - All decent teams but are beatable

I'm not ready to say we are or aren't making the playoffs, and it certainly won't be easy with a underperforming QB and a porous defense, but for the first time in years we have a legitimate chance based on our remaining schedule and the recent struggles of the top echelon teams. Let's hope they can get it together and make a playoff push in December. (Which will also fill those December seats at the Ralph)

Here's to cautious optimism.....

Fixed.

And it hurts!

The Biggest factor n making the playoffs is schedule.

This year the afc north plays the afc west and NFC east, afc west plays the NFC south.

Teams are going to be killing each other.

The division will at max be 10 wins...even f the division winner s better the wild card slot team will be worse at around 9 wins.

Let's look at San Diego and Denver...both 3-3.They still play each other one more time. San Diego still has the jets, steelers, and ravens?..so 6 losses is a real possibility if not more. With Denver they have the saints, at cincy, at baltimore? I see the secnd place team being 9-7 at best.

With the afc north.....besides the west they still have NFC east teams to play? For the steelers they have to play ravens, bengals, Dallas, and giants on the road. Baltimore has San Diego, Houston, cincy, Washington on road, and Denver and giants at home. Similarly with this diviion given cincinati nd Pittsburgh both with 3 losers I see the second place team being no more than 9 wns

This is why 10 wins by buffalo is important and can assure them of a wildcard spot...it will be much easier f they can finish ahead of the jets.

In comparison with the jets...

Against afc north...bills 1-0. Jets 0-1

Afc west....bills 1-0. Jets against San Diego.

NFC west....buffalo 1-1 not losng at home, jets 0-1 losing at. Home.

Afc south...jets lose home to Houston.

Buffalo has the edge on the jets as of now.

If buffalo can go to 4-5 after week 10 then should make it to 10 wins.

The AFC is extremely weak. There will be a 9-7 wildcard. We need to have at least 8 wins going into week 17's home game against what will hopefully be a Jets team running for the bus. The way I see it until then:

4 "outlier games" against good/bad teams that we split (@NE @HOU TEN JAX)

Split vs MIA

Three coin flips (@IND, STL, SEA in Toronto)

So you need to take 2 of the three coin flip games with Indy being the most desirable for tiebreaker reasons. Certainly plausible that we get to 9-7 though it looks a lot more realistic if Ralph doesn't sell the home field advantage against SEA.