More kids walking to school (budget cuts)

Walking also has the added benefit of increasing physical activity at a time when society is trying to get children to move more to combat obesity. And it doesn’t just benefit the children. Darlene Wilkowski gets daily exercise with her daughter while they are walking.

Just call it a mandatory gym class.

(and I did a 5 mile hike up a mountain yesterday, so no cries from me about how unfair it is)

When I was a kid we walked to school. And no old fart here talk. The school was just up the street a 5 minute walk. A little further to the elementary school but still no biggie. Today the town kids take the bus to the elementary school. Are you kidding me? What's the rationale for that? My mom said it's because the kids have to walk up the driveway to the school which could be dangerous. Sure it long but if that's the case build some goddamn sidewalks. It's probably the only exercise those little fatsos would get.

I used to walk to school. But in this day and age, I wouldn't let them do it. It has become a really sick world out there.

Oh good lord. The world has always been sick it's just the 24/7 news that puts it in your face every day. I really feel for kids these days.

All the safety, distance and weather issues aside, the School Bus has to buy gas the same way we do. Gas has doubled in 4 years, where's it headed? Looks like a lot more kids will be walking, along with their parents!

To tell you the truth I don't even think they have buses here in parts of CA. Most parents have to drive their kids to school.