Scott Fujita responds to reduced punishment

NoSaint

Official statement from fujita, published by schefter:

October 10, 2012Statement from @scottfujita99: "I'm pleased the Commissioner has finally acknowledged that I never participated in any so-called "bounty" program, as I've said for the past 7 months. However, his condescending tone was neither accurate nor productive. Additionally, I am now purportedly being suspended for failing to confront my former defensive coordinator for his inappropriate use of language. This seems like an extremely desperate attempt to punish me. I also think it sets a bad precedent when players can be disciplined for not challenging the behavior of their superiors. This is an absolute abuse of the power that's been afforded to the Commissioner.

For me, the issue of player health & safety is personal. For the league and the Commissioner, it's about perception & liability.

The Commissioner says he is disappointed in me. The truth is, I’m disappointed in him. His positions on player health and safety since a 2009 congressional hearing on concussions have been inconsistent at best. He failed to acknowledge a link between concussions & post-career brain disease, pushed for an 18-game regular season, committed to a full season of Thursday night games, has continually challenged players' rights to file workers compensation claims for on-the-job injuries, and he employed incompetent replacement officials for the start of the 2012 season. His actions or lack thereof are by the league’s own definition, “conduct detrimental”.

My track record on the issue of player health & safety speaks for itself. And clearly, as I just listed, the Commissioner's does too."

Edited by NoSaint

Sounds like he's accusing the commissioner of doing exactly as the owners hired him to do.

He needs to take it up with D Smith and the NFLPA for ratifying a CBA that afforded the Commissioner the right to so radically abuse his power.

GO BILLS!!!

wow, factual or not, that is pretty brutal...

thats what im saying - i was going to toss in into one of the bounty gate threads but its a pretty bold stand off shaping up between these two and the bounty gate stuff has really centered on the vilma-goodell dynamic.

im very curious to see the sub story of fujita-goodell play out. this is shaping up to be someone that might be a leader in the NFLPA within the next decade and fighting goodell for a long time.

Sounds like he's accusing the commissioner of doing exactly as the owners hired him to do.

He needs to take it up with D Smith and the NFLPA for ratifying a CBA that afforded the Commissioner the right to so radically abuse his power.

GO BILLS!!!

i can also agree with that.

as mentioned before, i could see him pushing for a position with the NFLPA when he finishes. hes been a player rep, and has challenged goodell openly since long before this hit the fan. even with the lockout it was said he was very vocal in the meeting goodell had with the browns.

Edited by NoSaint

GO BILLS!!!

Do you do that "GO BILLS!!!" after every post? Thats funny because that's what I do on the BB message boards.

Do you do that "GO BILLS!!!" after every post? Thats funny because that's what I do on the BB message boards.

Yes. It's an affirmation.

But it's teetering on becoming an imperative lately.

GO BILLS!!!

thats what im saying - i was going to toss in into one of the bounty gate threads but its a pretty bold stand off shaping up between these two and the bounty gate stuff has really centered on the vilma-goodell dynamic.

im very curious to see the sub story of fujita-goodell play out. this is shaping up to be someone that might be a leader in the NFLPA within the next decade and fighting goodell for a long time.

as mentioned before, i could see him pushing for a position with the NFLPA when he finishes. hes been a player rep, and has challenged goodell openly since long before this hit the fan. even with the lockout it was said he was very vocal in the meeting goodell had with the browns.

Fujita, like Vilma is totally busted and is now trying to save face, As Goodell said in his letter: "Your own comments confirm that players were encouraged to 'crank up the John Deere tractor and cart those guys off' the playing field."

Fujita doesn't give a sh**t about other palyers' safety. He's jsut ready a piece of paper the NFLPA gave him. Vilma, too, is totally guilty--yet he still pretends he's not. It a joke. Their referencing player safety is the ultimate in cynicism. Either that or these guys think all fans are a stupid as they are.

Fujita, like Vilma is totally busted and is now trying to save face, As Goodell said in his letter: "Your own comments confirm that players were encouraged to 'crank up the John Deere tractor and cart those guys off' the playing field."

Fujita doesn't give a sh**t about other palyers' safety. He's jsut ready a piece of paper the NFLPA gave him. Vilma, too, is totally guilty--yet he still pretends he's not. It a joke. Their referencing player safety is the ultimate in cynicism. Either that or these guys think all fans are a stupid as they are.

Sadly, most are.

Did I miss something? I haven't seen any evidence that would point to these players being guilty other than the affidavit signed by Greg Williams - which is hardly conrete evidence.

The only other thing I have to go on is Goodell said they did it. That IMO is a bunch of he-said-she-said BS. Vilma has the balls to sue in civil court which would bring out the evidence, if any. Would he really be doing that if he were innocent? IDK, but it couldn't end well for him unless he was.

Edited by peterpan

Statement is almost certainly approved by his lawyers but having spoken to fujita and his family a number of times before his departure to Cleveland, coupled with watching him speak on the issues.... It's highly likely that's from his own head. His very well spoken and has been an active advocate for quite some time.

Doesn't take away from your core assertions, but worth mentioning.

Did I miss something? I haven't seen any evidence that would point to these players being guilty other than the affidavit signed by Greg Williams - which is hardly conrete evidence.

Depends what you are referencing. The big hit pool (knockouts through legal hits) has been admitted. 10k on favre is highly disputed.

Statement is almost certainly approved by his lawyers but having spoken to fujita and his family a number of times before his departure to Cleveland, coupled with watching him speak on the issues.... It's highly likely that's from his own head. His very well spoken and has been an active advocate for quite some time.

Doesn't take away from your core assertions, but worth mentioning.

Depends what you are referencing. The big hit pool (knockouts through legal hits) has been admitted. 10k on favre is highly disputed.

Where was that admitted? I have heard Vilma Fujita and Hargrove deny there was any money offered ever. Most recently Hargrove on 60 mins.

Edited by peterpan

Where was that admitted? I have heard Vilma Fujita and Hargrove deny there was any money offered ever. Most recently Hargrove on 60 mins.

It's been 100 times over admitted honestly, by every saints player or coach asked. Interviews, court, nfl investigation- everywhere. There was 1000 if someone missed a play, 1500 if they didn't return that game. It was for legal hits in games that were won to incentivize aggressive physical play. Dirty hits were likewise fined in the system. These weren't targeted on any one player though.

That's a seperate (but deeply intertwined) issue with regards to 10k being pledged on knocking Brett favre out - which is what your are seeing denied

The only other thing I have to go on is Goodell said they did it. That IMO is a bunch of he-said-she-said BS. Vilma has the balls to sue in civil court which would bring out the evidence, if any. Would he really be doing that if he were innocent? IDK, but it couldn't end well for him unless he was.

Of course he would. It's in his best interest to force the issue and hope the league will compromise. Apparently, the league hasn't. By the same token, do you think the league would be willing to reissue the same punishment for Vilma and take their chances in court if they didn't believe they had evidence?

Vilma has to hope the LA judge will issue the injunction he is seeking.

GO BILLS!!!

I have found it interesting that the NFLPA - an organization that ostensibly represents all of the players - seems to have more interest in representing the interests of the Saints players accused of being part of the bounty program rather than those players whom the Saints sought to cart off.

It reminds me of the MLBPA, which always seemed to have more interest in protecting those players that took performance enhancing drugs rather those players who chose to play without doing so. One would have thought that they would have wanted all players to be able to play without feeling the pressure to take drugs to have to compete with those that did.

I have found it interesting that the NFLPA - an organization that ostensibly represents all of the players - seems to have more interest in representing the interests of the Saints players accused of being part of the bounty program rather than those players whom the Saints sought to cart off.

It reminds me of the MLBPA, which always seemed to have more interest in protecting those players that took performance enhancing drugs rather those players who chose to play without doing so. One would have thought that they would have wanted all players to be able to play without feeling the pressure to take drugs to have to compete with those that did.

This is a great point. These guys were trying to hurt others. The only thing the NFLPA is interested in is attacking the NFL and Goodell specifically. They are a completely bogus organization that got completely manhandled by the owners for years to come--by their own doing. They pretend that Goodell works solely as the agent of the owners. Everything he does is by their bidding and with their blessing.