Baseball playoffs

KD in CA

Oh come on, what the hell does he know. He's only been playing professional ball for 20+ years.

Good point...we probably should completely discount his view.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think it's funny how it wasn't that long ago that almost everyone - traditionalists and progressives alike - were calling the addition of the wild card format the greatest change to baseball perhaps ever. it was great having more at stake for teams to play for as the regular season wrapped up. I was totally on board with that and I loved the new format....but if it was so great, why did they have to go and screw with it? MLB seems to shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. It's pretty clear that this new format has nowhere near the almost universal acceptance that the previous change to the format had. People are very divided on this change, and rightfully so. Like Chef said, it was fine the way it was...they should have let it be.

honestly the 1 game playoff seems like total manufactured unneeded drama for the sake of ratings at the expense of tradition and quality.

in short, im not surprised they are doing it.

Wrong. It's about the tradition of the pennant race.

Good point...we probably should completely discount his view.

Did he say it before or after he lost? Or should I say he threw away, into right field.

Did he say it before or after he lost? Or should I say he threw away, into right field.

Before...it was an article from several weeks ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/chipper-jones-doesn-t-think-highly-baseball-one-074629125--mlb.html

Edited by ajzepp

I wish they would've done it a year earlier so we would have had a chance last year. But it is what it is." The timing is likely what irks Jones the most about baseball's new rule. Had it been in place when the Braves blew an 8 1/2 game wild-card lead over the St. Louis Cardinals last September, I'm sure he'd be just as much in favor of it as Bud Selig.

I guess the lesson for all teams here is to either win your division, which thankfully takes on much more importance again, or step up and win the baseball game with your back against the wall. There's nothing to feel bad or complain about if you accomplish one of the two.

Thanks for the great article.

I just think it's funny how it wasn't that long ago that almost everyone - traditionalists and progressives alike - were calling the addition of the wild card format the greatest change to baseball perhaps ever. it was great having more at stake for teams to play for as the regular season wrapped up.

Really? I never regarded the WC as anything but a necessary evil resulting from the shift to 3 divisions. But if having one WC makes the end of the regular season more interesting, why isn't having two WCs in play even better?

So the only possible legitimate complaint would be the length of the 'series' between the two WCs. And to that I say, so what? They are second place teams who don't deserve to be there in the first place and they sure as hell don't deserve to be on even footing with the division champs (like they have been the past several years), so let's see them earn their way into the real playoffs.

Pretty sure I said I agreed with Chipper, not the writer ;)

Chipper is just bitter than the Braves lost and he was the goat! :nana:

Really? I never regarded the WC as anything but a necessary evil resulting from the shift to 3 divisions. But if having one WC makes the end of the regular season more interesting, why isn't having two WCs in play even better?

So the only possible legitimate complaint would be the length of the 'series' between the two WCs. And to that I say, so what? They are second place teams who don't deserve to be there in the first place and they sure as hell don't deserve to be on even footing with the division champs (like they have been the past several years), so let's see them earn their way into the real playoffs.

No ****.

I'm not the biggest MLB fan, but i seem to remember pretty much everyone praising the WC addition...I'm pretty sure even Bob Costas was pro-WC, and he's one of the biggest traditionalists out there, isn't he? And Im with you on the two WCs is better than one, I just don't like the way they have implemented it.

And there's no way to know if Chipper was bitter...his expression never changes lol

I'm not the biggest MLB fan, but i seem to remember pretty much everyone praising the WC addition...I'm pretty sure even Bob Costas was pro-WC, and he's one of the biggest traditionalists out there, isn't he? And Im with you on the two WCs is better than one, I just don't like the way they have implemented it.

And there's no way to know if Chipper was bitter...his expression never changes lol

This is what I'm getting at with the regular season thing. I think people who are arguing your side are not big MLB fans, as you just admitted. It seems like a lot of people are just finding out about this now, from the way I'm reading this.

I love baseball more than any sport. I am dialed into it from Opening Day to when games don't matter anymore, which for the Yankees was usually early September. Now this year, and I think most years, they mattered right till the last game.

BTW, I used to just be a postseason fan - always thought it was the best thing in sports. But, for the past decade, I have really got into every game. I would have thought like you guys, and I actually did when I first heard it, if I was still that way.

Traditionalists love the pennant race, and now I know why. This September was so cool - when every single night there were two games you were keenly into. Yanks and O's game. Every single game was huge!

And, no Bob Costas was WAY AGAINST the wild card when it came into being in the mid 90s. He's all about the pennant race.

Best pinch hitting performance ever? Wow!

Unbelievable - with what he did the last few weeks of the season, he's as clutch as anybody I've seen. And, more clutch than any pitch hitter I can ever remember.