Jaws rates Fitz #30 of 32 Starting NFL QBs

Kind of hypocritical thinking don't you think?

You blame the Cowboys/Romos failures on the "team" and yet those similar failures for the Bills are all and solely blamed on Fitz and all his fault. Man, I can't believe people actually think like that.

If people spent more time defending Bills players as much as they do the opponent's players this board would be a lot better. Your post is the perfect example of "grass is greener syndrome". wow.

That's the mentality around here with some. They'll give every excuse in the world to other players but when it's a Bills player, they get no slack.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sick of the stat guys BSing their way to defending Fitz. WATCH THE GAMES! His TD's are only what they are because of garbage time TD's and a few exceptional plays on dump off passes by the other weapons on this team. He (as usual) is struggling massively to get the ball down field. His passing game is from about the LOS to about 12 yards out...anything other than that, and its Russian Roulette when he passes.

Second, his INT ratio would be a lot worse if it was not for the fact he has had somany other sure INT's dropped by the DEFENSE. Cue the "every QB has near INT's" BS excuse because that his a bunch of crap because other QB's do not have it happen at the RIDICULOUS frequency Fitz does. Its so bad, Jaws even mentioned it in his explanation of the ranking when he said "he's been victimized by some drops...but some of those have been from defensive backs"

A voice of reason

That's right. And at this point he's the league leader in TD's with a 2-2 record. The sky is surely falling. :rolleyes:

If people spent more time defending Bills players as much as they do the opponent's players this board would be a lot better. Your post is the perfect example of "grass is greener syndrome". wow.

Hey, if 8-8 football is what you are looking for, Fitz is your man! :thumbsup:

Fitz is what he is... Mediocre. This is his 8th season in the NFL, including his 5th as a starter. He has never led a team to a winning record. He barely has more career INTs than TDs and his QB rating is in the mid 70s. What other QB has miraculously turned from mediocre into an elite player at this stage or his career? It doesn't happen.

He is a Bill so I hope that he does well, but he is what he is.

Hey, if 8-8 football is what you are looking for, Fitz is your man! :thumbsup:

Or would be if he had ever produced an 8-8 season.

Kind of hypocritical thinking don't you think?

You blame the Cowboys/Romos failures on the "team" and yet those similar failures for the Bills are all and solely blamed on Fitz and all his fault. Man, I can't believe people actually think like that.

His post wasn't hypocritical in the least. He's evaluating both Fitz and Romo on the basis of things they can control, while filtering out things they can't.

Interception percentage is a good stat. An even better stat--at least for QB evaluation purposes--would be "percentage of passes which should have been intercepted." If a WR bobbles an accurately thrown pass, and if that pass is then snatched away by a defender, it counts as an INT. But it wouldn't count as a pass which should have been intercepted. By the same token, if a pass is thrown right to a defender, then it counts as a pass which should have been intercepted; whether the defender makes the INT or not.

What Peter Pan is saying is that Fitz has a much higher "passes which should be intercepted" rate than Tony Romo. That's not hypocrisy. That's not excuse-making. That's using the same measuring stick for both players.

His post wasn't hypocritical in the least. He's evaluating both Fitz and Romo on the basis of things they can control, while filtering out things they can't.

Interception percentage is a good stat. An even better stat--at least for QB evaluation purposes--would be "percentage of passes which should have been intercepted." If a WR bobbles an accurately thrown pass, and if that pass is then snatched away by a defender, it counts as an INT. But it wouldn't count as a pass which should have been intercepted. By the same token, if a pass is thrown right to a defender, then it counts as a pass which should have been intercepted; whether the defender makes the INT or not.

What Peter Pan is saying is that Fitz has a much higher "passes which should be intercepted" rate than Tony Romo. That's not hypocrisy. That's not excuse-making. That's using the same measuring stick for both players.

And actually interception percentage over an entire season or an entire career is a very valid metric as you're typically dealing with sample sizes where things such as tipped balls (pro and con) even out amongst the sample group.

While I appreciate your response. Peterpan, in his post, said nothing of what you are describing.

So what about when a team is down and forcing throws? Should those interceptions count against the QB, seeing as he's passing more and taking a lot more risks?

"Percentage of Passes That Should Have Been Intercepted."

I've heard it all.

Pro Football Focus is on the phone.

GO BILLS!!!

Haha. Exactly.

Here's a list of the 2012 Starting QB's:

http://en.wikipedia....ng_quarterbacks

I'd take Fitz over Matt Cassel and that's it. #30 is just about right where he belongs.

You're entitled to your opinion, and others of us are welcome to look at that list and think it's a little nuts.

Not saying Fitz has played well, saying there are a lot of other QB on that list who have played badly.

You're entitled to your opinion, and others of us are welcome to look at that list and think it's a little nuts.

Not saying Fitz has played well, saying there are a lot of other QB on that list who have played badly.

Have at it Mr. Hopeful. It's a discussion board after all. Go Bills!!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

While I appreciate your response. Peterpan, in his post, said nothing of what you are describing.

So what about when a team is down and forcing throws? Should those interceptions count against the QB, seeing as he's passing more and taking a lot more risks?

> Should those interceptions count against the QB, seeing as he's passing more and taking a lot more risks?

I see at least three categories of INTs. 1) Those which result from badly thrown passes. 2) Those which result from a bad play by the receiver. 3) Risk taking. Cases in which even a perfectly thrown ball would give a defender a chance to intercept.

For interceptable passes in that third category, my instinct would be to give QBs a pass. (No pun intended.) Maybe break it out into a separate stat if you want, and give it a label like "risk taking throws."

> Should those interceptions count against the QB, seeing as he's passing more and taking a lot more risks?

I see at least three categories of INTs. 1) Those which result from badly thrown passes. 2) Those which result from a bad play by the receiver. 3) Risk taking. Cases in which even a perfectly thrown ball would give a defender a chance to intercept.

For interceptable passes in that third category, my instinct would be to give QBs a pass. (No pun intended.) Maybe break it out into a separate stat if you want, and give it a label like "risk taking throws."

Fortunately, there will never be more than one category of INT.

And even though you're over-thinking this stuff to death, I submit you've left out several OTHER categories of INTs as well as some sub-categories to those you've listed.

I'll leave it to you to figure them out.

GO BILLS!!!

Uhhhh he's has Tannehill ranked as the 2nd best QB in the AFC East. And this is what he says:

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall. After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Yet Tannehill is 1-3 as a starter..... Has 2 Tds to his 6 interceptions.... Has a completion 55.4%.... and has a passer rating of 66.4 which puts him as 2nd to last in the NFL.

But yea, he's definietly the 2nd best QB in the AFCE.

The Bills would trade Fitz for Tannehill in a heartbeat. They are about equal now and Tannehill will get much better.

Who needs a crystal ball?

Fitz should get sacked at least five times tomorrow. Fitz will throw a minimum of two INT's. Most of his pass attempt will either be high, or short. One of our RB's will fumble the ball at least once. One of our recievers will drop a pass in the open field. Our HC will appear lost and disoriented. Our DC will appear lost and disoriented. We'll be down at least two TD's by halftime.

Who needs a crystal ball?

Fitz should get sacked at least five times tomorrow. Fitz will throw a minimum of two INT's. Most of his pass attempt will either be high, or short. One of our RB's will fumble the ball at least once. One of our recievers will drop a pass in the open field. Our HC will appear lost and disoriented. Our DC will appear lost and disoriented. We'll be down at least two TD's by halftime.

Dude, you call yourself a fan? Please go route for the 9ers!