From Tim Graham chat: Mario owns the locker room

10:04

Comment From Sandy NNY Good morning from the North Country, Tim. Great column by Sully today on Mario Williams. Where are the Bills going with him? Can Chan or anyone fix his attitude?

fb_share2.png

10:07 phpj8uN7LGrahamAvi.jpg

Tim Graham: Probably not. Once a player gets that kind of contract, in many ways he's above the law. He already owns the Bills' locker room, the only player with a refrigerator in his stall, the one who controls the music and blares it whenever he can, stopping only when his fellow teammates are trying to conduct an interview. I can sense people -- even team employees -- are timid in approaching him. But he wasn't voted a captain. Maybe that means something.

Sounds like Mario is reallllly comfortable in Buffalo. <_<

PTR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Mario is reallllly comfortable in Buffalo. <_<

PTR

Kind of sounds like the arrogance and special treatment Barry Bonds used to get in San Fran. I also read where there are already eyes rolling in the lockerroom from his teammates too. That can't be a good thing.

Football is totally unique when it comes to high-priced free agents going to a new team. No other team sport relies on proper execution by league-minimum players to the highest paid for success. In the case of football, you've got 52 other guys, the largest team in sports, that may have been sacrificing and playing through injuries for mere peanuts in comparison to the highest paid player who's never even taken a snap, let alone sacrificed, for the team. There is gonna be resentment in that dynamic. It's human nature. And it's magnified when things don't go well.

As imposing a physical presence as he may be and as highly as he may be paid, somebody, ANYBODY, has to find the sac to get in his grill if needed. Otherwise, the team will naturally take on the demeanor of Mario Williams. And he's just not a "play like his hair is on fire" kind of player. He never was.

It's kind of like Bruce Smith. He was without a doubt, top dog in the pecking order in terms of talent and physical imposition. But Talley was the alpha and he had no compunction about getting in Smith's face if needed. Same with TT and Kelly on offense.

I'm not convinced this current team has that kind of leadership across the board. But it will become obvious moving forwards.

Free agents usually don't have high impact the first year. But the turnarounds from year one to year two are striking.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Lol! Could this be the beginning of the bickering bills? They may suck on the field, but at least it may be entertaining.

If that's the case then he has to do what Kelly did and open up his house after home games and make sure everybody is invited. That single act did more to sooth things and bond that team than anything else. Well, next to getting rid of resentful veterans like Smerlas that is.

I just don't think MW is the sociable kind. Anyone who describes himself as "always angry" isn't exactly lending himself to being a social magnet.

GO BILLS!!!

Dont beleive it not one bit....the media loves twisting **** around.unless it comes from some of the players mouths this story is false.

Good point. And it's often true. But so is a resentful player on the team giving trusted reporters the scoop.

GO BILLS!!!

Lets not hit the panic button until the end of the season. It's a good thing that his contract is actually just 50,000,000 guranteed. But still, that's still too much. The Bills should have made conditions under his contract and incentives for the Protection of the Organization.

Dont beleive it not one bit....the media loves twisting **** around.unless it comes from some of the players mouths this story is false.

Mario is the only player with a fridge in his locker. he has been known to crank up the volume on his stereo on Thursdays when the locker room is open to reporters. George Wilson, who shares a locker next to Mario, last week asked Mario to turn down the volume. He wasn't angry, and the two then joked around before George answered a few questions I asked.

Mario is the first and only Bills player to my knowledge who has been allowed to make himself available to Buffalo reporters twice a week (on Wednesday and following a game). T.O. did not have this deal, and neither has any other player to my knowledge in Buffalo. And if they did have this deal, it was never enforced because I've approached all of the team's high-profile players on any given day of the week when I had a question to ask them.

This is what I know, and what I've encountered. Not sure how I'm twisting this.

jw

Lets not hit the panic button until the end of the season. It's a good thing that his contract is actually just 50,000,000 guranteed. But still, that's still too much. The Bills should have made conditions under his contract and incentives for the Protection of the Organization.

Mario is the only player with a fridge in his locker. he has been known to crank up the volume on his stereo on Thursdays when the locker room is open to reporters. George Wilson, who shares a locker next to Mario, last week asked Mario to turn down the volume. He wasn't angry, and the two then joked around before George answered a few questions I asked.

Mario is the first and only Bills player to my knowledge who has been allowed to make himself available to Buffalo reporters twice a week (on Wednesday and following a game). T.O. did not have this deal, and neither has any other player to my knowledge in Buffalo. And if they did have this deal, it was never enforced because I've approached all of the team's high-profile players on any given day of the week when I had a question to ask them.

jw

So in your opinion is Mario being coddled while underperforming? Chan doesn't strike me as a guy who do that, but then again no one else is making what Mario makes.

PTR

So in your opinion is Mario being coddled while underperforming? Chan doesn't strike me as a guy who do that, but then again no one else is making what Mario makes.

PTR

he is underperforming, there's no doubt about that. and he does have certain privileges in regards to limiting his dealings with reporters. as for what happens between Chan and Mario i'm not in a position to speculate.

i will also say that Mario does deserve credit for donating all of his proceeds from the sale of Mario's to Carly's Club.

jw

jw

Out of curiosity, what kind of music? Hip hop? Country? Big Band? Gregorian Chant?

In the end. I don't give a F$&K what he does as long as he's not breaking any laws (traffic laws not included) and sacking the QB. Now he is underperforming right now. Is that because he's now in coast mode? Is it his injury? Is it the playcalling/schemes of Wanny? I really have Bo idea. But right now, after a 2nd half blowout where the Pats scored more points in 1-2 quarters than ever before, I'm going with Wanny. IMO he's bad at his job and that's being nice. It's really hard to tell what the biggest fault is right now. Time will tell.