Stephon Gilmore needs to step it up this week

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Key to the game IMHO

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2012/09/stephon-gilmore-girding-for-his-first-tom-brady-experience.html

ProFootballFocus.com, which analyzes every NFL snap, notes that Gilmore has been targeted 20 times this season and has allowed 12 receptions for 228 yards and two touchdowns. That's a robust 132.9 passer rating against him.

He's looked utterly lost out there at times. Like he's thinking to much and not trusting his instincts and ability. That will come with experience. Same with A Williams. And our safeties haven't been setting the world on fire back there, either.

There has been incremental improvement since the first game and there's no reason why that won't continue. I'm hoping that facing a great player like Brady will bring out their best game of the year.

GO BILLS!!!

He looked good against Jon Baldwin, until 35-3 garbage time when he caught a couple. Of course, Baldwin is a young player with discipline issues. Against Stephen Hill (who by the way, hasn't caught another pass this season) in Week 1 he was terrible.

Bad TD against Travis Benjamin (who?) in Cleveland. Results have been specious to say the least. You can say there's a steep learning curve, but the youngsters he's facing are against the same curve.

He only had one bad game against the Jets.... Look up the numbers urself

define the word "bad"

Aaron Williams hasn't been much better. I was surprised that people thought he actually had a good game last week. He got bailed out by 2 underthrown balls by Weeden that should have been long TDs.

I agree.

Here's an idea for a poll. Who's been worse...Williams or Gilmore?

Edited by stony

We've got two very young CBs back there and it shows. I would expect, just like with every young CB, that GIlmore will get better the more games he has under his belt.

That being said, I expect him to get destroyed on Sunday by Welker and Company. If Welker and Lloyd both don't come out of this game with 100+ yards under their belt, I'll be shocked.

People are pointing their fingers at Gilmore because he was the top pick, but Aaron Williams is worse. McGee is done for, time to part ways with him. Please don't put McKelvin back there anymore either. This game is really going to show the inexperience of d-backs unfortunately. I'm not looking forward to it

People are pointing their fingers at Gilmore because he was the top pick, but Aaron Williams is worse. McGee is done for, time to part ways with him. Please don't put McKelvin back there anymore either. This game is really going to show the inexperience of d-backs unfortunately. I'm not looking forward to it

I haven't noticed him playing that horrible. He's coming off a major injury and should be given a few games to readjust to the speed of the game. We really don't have a better option at this point.

Edited by stony

our safeties havent been much better, esp when they are supposed to pick up the reciever that is funneled to them (like in the NYJ game). Gilmore is getting better, so is williams, I think its tremendously unfair to expect them to be shut down corners so early in the season, but this week will be a big test.

i believe gilmore has 8 tackles or so he has some pass breakups and he has looked like a rookie thrown into the fire.

He sounds to me to be of very good football character.

Williams is improving. And has needed to. But he had a sweet play on the long ball last week . Showed very good ball awareness finally.

Rogers might be a secret weapon and is a player to keep an eye on. Searcy is getting more time so thats alot of youth on the field. Now include Sheppard calling plays too. another young kid oh wait Moats too.

Leo is gonna be low percentage of snaps beside ST. And McGee is playing well enough but not to full health still.

It's gonna be a long season for these Kids, but mark my words they will continue to improve. Not fast enough for some, but they will and are.

Edited by 3rdand12

Key to the game IMHO

http://blogs.buffalo...experience.html

You are 100% correct. His coverage has been awful, I saw him get away with a couple of holds, and he is often taken out on running plays. His contributions have been next to nil.

Yes, I understand that he is a rookie, and will have growing pains. Sure, I get it. But it is not unreasonable to expect him to play better than what we have seen, and soon.

Aaron Williams hasn't been much better. I was surprised that people thought he actually had a good game last week. He got bailed out by 2 underthrown balls by Weeden that should have been long TDs.

It was the best game he had in his career, and offered a glimmer of hope.

A. Williams was the 2nd pick of round 2. Gilmore was a #10, and McKelvin was a #11, both of the first round. Byrd was the 10th pick of round 2. These guys have a monster DL in front of them now. It's time for them to carry their collective weight.

And btw, Justin Rogers looks pretty good imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC