ESPN Week 4 Power Rankings

PromoTheRobot

I didn't know it was a power ranking of the decade, just week 3 of the NFL season. By definition you can't look at the past seasons. Look at them now. Their only win is over a somewhat mediocre Titans squad.

PTR

To be fair, I think the point of the power ranking is to judge teams based on a variety of factors: not just did they win or lose but how did they look doing it, who did they play, how well did they execute in various facets of the game, how balanced is the team.

Just like I think we're better than we looked in the Jets game, I think the Pats are better than the 2-1 record reflected by two down to the wire losses to worthy !@#$ing adversaries.

Although I predict if we win Sunday we will break the back of that team, crush its soul, & watch it come unglued. That's my hope, anyway.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do people get upset about this? The bills haven't been in the playoffs in forever and have been horribly inconsistent. It happened again this year with the Jets game.

It's because people want respect before they've done anything to earn it. Win a few games against some quality teams and the Bills will start getting some respect. Question: What's Buffalo's record vs teams with a winning record over the past few years? I doubt it's too good. That alone would say to me that they're a bottom half team until they prove otherwise.

Power Rankings aren't based solely on record. The Patriots could very well be 3-0 after losing close games to a Super Bowl contender in Balt. and a 3-0 team in Arizona.

Just shows you how close this start of the year really has been.

Interesting article in Grantland by Bill Barnwell regarding the Arizona Cardinals hot streak dating back to last season. I was thinking the Cards would be one of the easier games but they look pretty difficult. Barnwell contends their record, while legit, is going to ultimately come back into the pack because they've won every single close game they've been in. Some seriously good luck.

I didn't read the Barnwell piece yet but the other thing kind of odd about the Cardinals record (they've won 10 of their last 12 dating back to Week Nine of last season) is that they've been winning with mediocre quarterback play and in fact, without an established starting quarterback.

Kudos to Whisenhunt and the organization.

Does that include their prices? Would Bills fans buy the 2nd most expensive tickets in the NFL? Would they pay $60 to park? Would they put up with parking lot attendants herding you out of your spot if you are still parked 1 hour after the game ends?

PTR

I never drove to a game up there but it's really 60 bucks for parking? Day-mn! I'd turn around and burn my tickets!

I didn't read the Barnwell piece yet but the other thing kind of odd about the Cardinals record (they've won 10 of their last 12 dating back to Week Nine of last season) is that they've been winning with mediocre quarterback play and in fact, without an established starting quarterback.

Kudos to Whisenhunt and the organization.

Havent seen them play (other than last few mins against Pats), front 7 was getting good pressure. I wonder how Peterson is doing in the secondary. he was one of my favorite players coming out in 2011 draft. I would have taken him over Dareus, which isnt a knock on Dareus at all, hes performed. I just thought Peterson at strong safety would be more impactful

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Havent seen them play (other than last few mins against Pats), front 7 was getting good pressure. I wonder how Peterson is doing in the secondary. he was one of my favorite players coming out in 2011 draft. I would have taken him over Dareus, which isnt a knock on Dareus at all, hes performed. I just thought Peterson at strong safety would be more impactful

The nice thing I think everyone likes about the Dareus pick is that he has almost zero bust potential. His floor was high and his character beyond reproach… in other words, he was a very safe pick at #3.

But yes, Peterson has a ridiculously high upside. He can become one of the all-time greats for sure and he benefits from having some great players around him on that defense. Campbell and Dockett, Washington, Wilson, Rhodes… like Seattle that is a great (no-name) defense.

The nice thing I think everyone likes about the Dareus pick is that he has almost zero bust potential. His floor was high and his character beyond reproach… in other words, he was a very safe pick at #3.

But yes, Peterson has a ridiculously high upside. He can become one of the all-time greats for sure and he benefits from having some great players around him on that defense. Campbell and Dockett, Washington, Wilson, Rhodes… like Seattle that is a great (no-name) defense.

Also, all things being equal I think a dominant DL is better to have than a dominant DB because they impact more plays. Defensive lineman are key both vs the run and pass, while DBs are much less important vs the run and are easier to scheme against. I like the Dareus pick very much. The only guy better in that draft would've been Cam Newton, IMO.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

The Patriots, despite being 1-2, are ranked 8th and above 8 other teams with 2-1 records including the Bills. Go figure.

PTR

There isn't much difference between 2-1 and 1-2. The difference might only be one blown call by a replacement ref.

Without arguing the merits of the Patriots, it's too early in the season to rank-order teams by won-loss. Are the Bills really a team that will win twice as many games as it loses? Are the Pats really a team that will lose twice as many games as it wins? It's too early to tell but looking at rosters, many will answer both questions with a resounding "no."

If we win this Sunday, I would expect that we'll move ahead of the Pats in most power rankings. If we don't, the power rankings with the Pats ahead of us will be vindicated.

People act as though the Bills are trying to get into a BCS bowl game and that these rankings matter. I don't care if the Bills lose every single game to "good teams" and beat up only on the "bad teams" (and consequently are ranked low in these polls) as long as they make the playoffs.

You know where the Giants were ranked last year in their week 16 poll by ESPN? 16th.

Edited by MDH

We've beaten two of the worst teams in the league and were dominated by a middle-of-the-pack team in our only true test. Based on week 1 and our 6-10 record last year (not to mention losing our 2 best offensive players), we are ranked right about where we should be.

I suspect this will be proven true when New England smacks us down once again on Sunday.

You have to ask yourself, "Did the Bills' performance in game 2 and 3 mirror their performance in game 1?"

The answer should be no.

Good thing power rankings don't mean anything.

AFC east standings are what matter and the Bills need to beat the Pats which will make them 2 wins better. I hope they do an cant wait to see how this new d handles tommy.

Considering we couldn't handle Sanchez...