The next six games are brutal - how will we do?

Coach Tuesday

My perspective on the schedule has precisely zero impact on our team's week-to-week preparation.

But anyone who's watched football for more than three minutes knows that players get hurt.

And since personnel fluctuations are so unpredictable, it makes no sense, whatsoever, to make predictions about any game until a day or two before you play.

Just my $0.02.

I see a lot of hand-wringing here, and I think it's all for naught.

I hear you about that, and I agree that injuries are the wildcard.

That said, the next six games will in many ways define this team and the season. It is also the kind of stretch that will define Fitz's status as QB - if he can lead this team on the road and win against teams like Houston and San Francisco, it will go a long way towards justifying the team's commitment to him. If he flops, it may lead to some re-thinking at OBD.

And while I agree with those who advocate for the "week to week" approach, I do believe that the coaching staff (and Nix) view the schedule in segments, not just game to game. I'm sure they've been eyeing this stretch since the schedule was announced, and they have an internal set of goals and expectations for how the team performs.

Anyhow it will be interesting to say the least.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, the next six games will in many ways define this team and the season. It is also the kind of stretch that will define Fitz's status as QB - if he can lead this team on the road and win against teams like Houston and San Francisco, it will go a long way towards justifying the team's commitment to him. If he flops, it may lead to some re-thinking at OBD.

In a certain sense, I don't view the next few weeks as defining, at least as it pertains to this season's chances of success. I view these next several weeks as "survival" mode. Win 1, maybe 2, stay generally healthy, and we have survived and are positioned perfectly for a late-season run.

To me, the defining part of the season is the back stretch, where if we play well, we could run the table. Playoff teams make the playoffs because they win the easy games:

11/15 Miami Dolphins 11/25 @ Indianapolis Colts 12/02 Jacksonville Jaguars 12/09 St. Louis Rams 12/16 Seattle Seahawks (Tor) 12/23 @ Miami Dolphins 12/30 New York Jets

In a certain sense, I don't view the next few weeks as defining, at least as it pertains to this season's chances of success. I view these next several weeks as "survival" mode. Win 1, maybe 2, stay generally healthy, and we have survived and are positioned perfectly for a late-season run.

To me, the defining part of the season is the back stretch, where if we play well, we could run the table. Playoff teams make the playoffs because they win the easy games:

11/15 Miami Dolphins 11/25 @ Indianapolis Colts 12/02 Jacksonville Jaguars 12/09 St. Louis Rams 12/16 Seattle Seahawks (Tor) 12/23 @ Miami Dolphins 12/30 New York Jets

Fair point. Look at what the Giants did last year and in their previous Superbowl run - they got hot down the stretch. I agree about the survival concept - need to get through the next six healthy and without imploding mentally, and be in a position to go on a late-season run.

I think we can beat SF. I think we have just the team to do. If we can limit their short game we can beat them. They are a team a lot like us. glaring issues but over shadowed by very strong issues.

Yup.

I've noticed posters on this forum WAY overrate the 49ers. The Vikings exposed a lot of their weakness last Sunday.

It's quite simple, we have to split em. And I think it's going to come by beating Az, Ten, and NE once. Possibly San Fran as we match up well against them. That would put us at 5-4 with an easy stretch coming up and needing to go 5-2 the rest of the way which is certainly possible.

Edited by LiterateStylish

The Bills have to beat some good teams to get to the playoffs...that would mean they are a good team and deserve to be in the playoffs. Good analysis here, bottom up type thinking.....my view is top down....same answer. You have to win against good teams to have a good record that kits the playoffs. I, for one, think they have a chance to do 2 or 3 wins in this stretch, and if its 3, playoffs are stll alive.

Exactly. Beating KC and Cleveland was nice, but let's not get too carried away with those wins. The Bills faced one decent opponent this season and not only lost, but pretty much got destroyed. While it would be great to see wins against some quality opponents, I'd at least like to see the Bills be able to hang with some of them - get some wins and you could make the playoffs.

Exactly. Beating KC and Cleveland was nice, but let's not get too carried away with those wins. The Bills faced one decent opponent this season and not only lost, but pretty much got destroyed. While it would be great to see wins against some quality opponents, I'd at least like to see the Bills be able to hang with some of them - get some wins and you could make the playoffs.

I think you need to beat the big guns eventually if you want to win the whole thing. But if you look at who makes the playoffs, time and again it's usually the teams that beat a bunch of teams with losing records. In some years, you get teams that have never beat an opponent with a winning record that are making the playoffs.

With a good running game, Fitz minimized, stout run defense, and if the corners can cover we could win all six. Some of you guys need to get rid of the loser mentality.

Loser mentality? This team hasn't sniffed the playoffs in over a decade. Win all 6.. I hope you are joking or high.

If I was gonna put our odds on winning each of those 6:

09/30 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 49%

10/7 @ San Francisco 25%

10/14 @ Arizona Cardinals 50%

10/21 TENNESSEE TITANS 80%

11/04 @ Houston Texans 30%

11/11 @ New England Patriots 35%

So we'll probably win 2 or 3 games in that stretch.

But if you like long odds,there's roughly 1 chance in 200 that we'll win all of them.

Edited by hondo in seattle

09/30 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

10/7 @ San Francisco

10/14 @ Arizona Cardinals

10/21 TENNESSEE TITANS

11/04 @ Houston Texans

11/11 @ New England Patriots

The Cards have gone 10-2 in the last 12 games (going back to last season). Their defense is absolutely brutal. Houston's defense is probably the best in the NFL at the moment. San Fran's isn't much farther behind. That's 3 games against what are arguably the top 3 defenses in the NFL.

The 49ers can be had, as shown by Minnesota, but the Vikings also played a flawless game.

The Cards offense sputters at times. They do not have a legitimate running back threat and their QB situation is muddled. But be sure that they have one of the best receivers in the game... if they can get him the ball.

And as we know, never count out the Patriots, even when they have been beaten and bloodied they somehow find a way to win. Their record last year, with a horrifically bad defense, kind of shows that they are never truly out of contention.

Yes, this stretch is going to be really, really difficult. I'm betting that most people will not cut the offense any slack even though EVERY team has difficulty scoring points against the 49ers, Cards and Texans. If the Bills get more than 20 points in any of these games, then count yourself lucky.

Hope for the BEST and pray.

09/30 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - IF the dynasty is dead, the Bills win 3-1

10/7 @ San Francisco - I had this booked as a loss 3-2

10/14 @ Arizona Cardinals - Are they as good as their record? 4-2

10/21 TENNESSEE TITANS - I had this booked as a Win 5-2

BYW week

11/04 @ Houston Texans - I had this booked as a loss 5-3

11/11 @ New England Patriots - I had this booked as a loss 5-4 (worst case record 3-6)

Then the schedule gets EASY

11/15 Miami 8:20 - W

11/25 @ Indianapolis - W

12/2 Jacksonville - W

12/9 St. Louis - W

12/16 Seattle* 4:05 - W

12/23 @ Miami - W

12/30 NY Jets - W

even with the worst case record from above 7-0 to finish 10-6

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Winning this week goes a long way to possibly splitting the 6 and making the playoffs. Dropping the pats* to 1-3 would be huge in the division.

This team can win on the road, a strong defense and great running game makes it possible.

Long time lurker, first time post. I can see the bills going 2-4 here unfortunately, I think they will beat tennesee and one of there hard games, maybe new england this week or in arizona

Welcome. Glad you decided to speak up. The good news about this stretch is we will know by the end of it whether or not we have a real shot at the play-offs. I think we go 3-3 with one win over the Pats*, San Fran and Tennessee.

Hope for the BEST and pray.

09/30 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - IF the dynasty is dead, the Bills win 3-1

10/7 @ San Francisco - I had this booked as a loss 3-2

10/14 @ Arizona Cardinals - Are they as good as their record? 4-2

10/21 TENNESSEE TITANS - I had this booked as a Win 5-2

BYW week

11/04 @ Houston Texans - I had this booked as a loss 5-3

11/11 @ New England Patriots - I had this booked as a loss 5-4 (worst case record 3-6)

Then the schedule gets EASY

11/15 Miami 8:20 - W

11/25 @ Indianapolis - W

12/2 Jacksonville - W

12/9 St. Louis - W

12/16 Seattle* 4:05 - W

12/23 @ Miami - W

12/30 NY Jets - W

even with the worst case record from above 7-0 to finish 10-6

I think it would be more difficult to win 7 games in a row to finish out a season, than to win 3 of those 6 games.