There's a rift in Carolina

Brand J

Rift, shmift. Newton is a star. He deserved an earful, he got an earful, sounds like he'll accept it and learn from it and they'll both move on.

Does it? It sounds like it's happened before and he hasn't learned from it and that's what drew Smith's ire. It's way too early to say it's a big problem but certainly something to keep on eye on in the future.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. I don't think Cam is all that! I don't think he will every be a star. Don't like the style of running QBs. Their ceilings are only so high. Happened with VY, Randall Cunningham, Vick, etc. That type of QB is only good to a certain point, then they don't have the ability to take it to the next level and win consistently and most importantly win in the playoffs. Until a running QB ever wins in the playoffs or wins a super bowl, I'm not going to change my mind.

Amen! I thought Athletic QBs would become the norm but they haven't , RG3 might be different bc he's super smart.

Ya by letting two teams draft in front of him we got a better player!

What are you referring to?

I don't get people claiming superstar status for Newton. He's shown a lot of promise, but it's a little early to crown his ass.

... or to get out the anointing oil. But he sure looks promising.

Like PTR said, in one game we anoint them a star. In the next game they are a bust. Cam Newton has potential but I would not trade him for Fitz for anything. This team needs Fitz like Newton needs time.

Was this sarcasm? It sounds like you are saying that you would rather have Fitz at QB than Newton.

Cam Newton cares about one thing very deeply...Cam Newton.

You are correct. That Superman celebration also reminded me why I hoped the Bills would not have the opportunity/draft him. It was ridiculous doing that in a blowout loss especially.

... or to get out the anointing oil. But he sure looks promising.

Was this sarcasm? It sounds like you are saying that you would rather have Fitz at QB than Newton.

Not at all. Newton needs more time to develop and learn some basics. He played at some JuCo for a while where this should have been developed. He has raw potential that may not be able to be harnessed. Fitz, however, has the smarts and tool bag to develop a lot further. If Newton exceeds Fitz it will be raw talent alone.

I'll offer Fitzpatrick, a 2012 1st, a 2012 3rd, and a 2013 2nd to take this "problem" off of their hands B-)

[Copy of entire article removed. See terms of service.]

http://sports.yahoo....25405--nfl.html

Rift? I missed that part in the artcle. It's about Steve Smith yelling at one of his team mates--where's the news there? At least he didn't punch Newton.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/08/01/steve-smith-punches-a-teammate-again/

Maybe people are to quick to anoint stars in the league. One game and BOOM, they are making a bust of you for Canton. On the other side, how many folks here wanted CJ Spiller cut for being a "bust?" Maybe it's me but I have been noticing a lot more knee-jerk proclamation by the media of late. Bills get blown out by the Jets and our season is over, but we blow out KC and playoff talk is back. RGIII has a great opening day and he's a hall of famer. Who thought Vince Young would be broke and out of football after watching his first season?

PTR

Like PTR said, in one game we anoint them a star. In the next game they are a bust. Cam Newton has potential but I would not trade him for Fitz for anything. This team needs Fitz like Newton needs time.

I believe it was a full season for Newton, not one game.

Not at all. Newton needs more time to develop and learn some basics. He played at some JuCo for a while where this should have been developed. He has raw potential that may not be able to be harnessed. Fitz, however, has the smarts and tool bag to develop a lot further. If Newton exceeds Fitz it will be raw talent alone.

I could not disagree with you more. Fitz is what he is... a career looser. He is not a rookie. This is his 8th year in the league and 5th as a starter and he has never led a team to a winning record. He's not suddenly going to turn into an elite QB. Newton has much more ability and has the promise of turning into something. Even as he is right now he's probably just as good or better than Fitz.

Newton threw for over 4000 yards (and a whopping 7.9 YPA) and ran for over 700 yards (5.6 per) in his first year on the field! On a team that went 2-14 the year before! Sure he needs to mature mentally, but what is missing from his toolbag?

I love the Fitz, but how do you envision him "developing a lot further" at this point in his career? Is that what you see going on now with him? Continued development?

Newton has already exceeded our QB. No question. Interesting you'd rather have Fitzpatrick than a young gun with a ceiling higher than the sky. You're in the clear minority here.

Cam Newton = Vince Young

I think Cam is a better pocket passer than Vince ever was. I also think he looks to run less.

Newton threw for over 4000 yards (and a whopping 7.9 YPA) and ran for over 700 yards (5.6 per) in his first year on the field! On a team that went 2-14 the year before! Sure he needs to mature mentally, but what is missing from his toolbag?

I love the Fitz, but how do you envision him "developing a lot further" at this point in his career? Is that what you see going on now with him? Continued development?

In all of his experience he still has the biggest rookie breakdowns, even freshman in High School break downs. Watching the home opener it was pathetic the way he just locked on to WR's, the mistakes he made - I do not see him getting those better now if he hasn't yet. Sure, he will mature, but it will not be what people think. I wish him success, but here in Carolina people are doubting him and wondering if he is really going to the answer.

Newton has already exceeded our QB. No question. Interesting you'd rather have Fitzpatrick than a young gun with a ceiling higher than the sky. You're in the clear minority here.

I am more worried about the basement Fitz may find himself in...

And, I really hope this makes sense.

I am not saying I would hands down take Fitz over Newton. In a team such as ours I would rather have Fitz. On a team like the Skins, Fins, Lions, Arizona, rebuilding teams, younger teams, teams that have other leaders besides their QB, I would take the chance.

On teams more mature, San Fran, New England, NYG, Houston, I would take Fitz. Fitz, if coached correctly, will not lose you games if the rest of your team can do enough to win them.

In all of his experience he still has the biggest rookie breakdowns, even freshman in High School break downs. Watching the home opener it was pathetic the way he just locked on to WR's, the mistakes he made - I do not see him getting those better now if he hasn't yet. Sure, he will mature, but it will not be what people think. I wish him success, but here in Carolina people are doubting him and wondering if he is really going to the answer.

They call these "knee-jerk" reactions. Those fans are willing to throw away a promising rookie year, because Cam had a lackluster performance in the home opener. Give me a break. Some fans lack patience, but some fans are absolutely ridiculous. When people around here were calling for Fitzpatrick's head last week, it wasn't because of the "what have you done for me lately" question, it was because he has stunk for the last 10 games or so. Ask those same people if they'd rather have Fitzpatrick at QB and they'd probably laugh at you.

I am more worried about the basement Fitz may find himself in...

And, I really hope this makes sense.

I am not saying I would hands down take Fitz over Newton. In a team such as ours I would rather have Fitz. On a team like the Skins, Fins, Lions, Arizona, rebuilding teams, younger teams, teams that have other leaders besides their QB, I would take the chance.

On teams more mature, San Fran, New England, NYG, Houston, I would take Fitz. Fitz, if coached correctly, will not lose you games if the rest of your team can do enough to win them.

And this is the mentality we have to get away from around here. Outside of the beginning of last season, Fitzpatrick hasn't done jack squat to be the difference in winning games. If we're asking him, "just don't do anything to lose this game," then we have the wrong man under center. A QB needs to be a playmaker, to be able to make those plays in the clutch, to lead his team to victory. I don't want a caretaker at the position, I want a playmaker. Cam Newton, although he has a lot of maturing to do, is a playmaker.

And this is the mentality we have to get away from around here. Outside of the beginning of last season, Fitzpatrick hasn't done jack squat to be the difference in winning games. If we're asking him, "just don't do anything to lose this game," then we have the wrong man under center. A QB needs to be a playmaker, to be able to make those plays in the clutch, to lead his team to victory. I don't want a caretaker at the position, I want a playmaker. Cam Newton, although he has a lot of maturing to do, is a playmaker.

Plenty of teams have gone to the playoffs with this type of quarterback. Sanchez comes to mind in his first two years. Trent Dilfer too. Me personally I cant focus on how we should replace guys, I like to focus on what we have and how they can be the best player possible. It works better for my psyche

Plenty of teams have gone to the playoffs with this type of quarterback. Sanchez comes to mind in his first two years. Trent Dilfer too. Me personally I cant focus on how we should replace guys, I like to focus on what we have and how they can be the best player possible. It works better for my psyche

Not "focusing" on how to replace Fitzpatrick, Captain. That's an exercise in futility, seeing as how it'd be impossible to do during the season. I brought up a mentality regarding the QB position that needs to change around here. We shouldn't be content with asking our QB, "just don't lose the game." We should want Fitzpatrick to make plays to win the game!

You're right in that plenty of caretaking QBs have gone to the playoffs, but there's one distinction... Not many have won the Superbowl.

But how many have won championships? (Assuming that's our goal here one day)