Four More Years!!!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a leftie mock that ad only shows me it's more brutal than I first thought. My only criticism is that it targets a particular segment of the country. In the more poor parts of our country, the family isn't sitting around a table together; and odds are pretty high neither mom nor dad have any idea where Suzie or Billy are come dinner time, and worse...mom probably isn't even sure who dad is.

But otherwise, anyone who remembers the despair of the Carter years will see that ad and instantly recall that rot-gut what-do-we-do-now feeling so many Americans have today.

But hey...Obama has a plan for the next four years. Sure we have no idea what it is, but it must be great, right?

Wait, isn't Barry's plan to "stay the course"? Because things are going so freaking great right now?

Having a leftie mock that ad only shows me it's more brutal than I first thought. My only criticism is that it targets a particular segment of the country. In the more poor parts of our country, the family isn't sitting around a table together; and odds are pretty high neither mom nor dad have any idea where Suzie or Billy are come dinner time, and worse...mom probably isn't even sure who dad is.

But otherwise, anyone who remembers the despair of the Carter years will see that ad and instantly recall that rot-gut what-do-we-do-now feeling so many Americans have today.

But hey...Obama has a plan for the next four years. Sure we have no idea what it is, but it must be great, right?

I'm not mocking the ad as a leftie. I'm mocking the ad as a filmmaker.

Change the text at the end, and you could make that ad about just about anything. Birth control, health care, Iraq, Wall Street...

That's what's so hilarious about it.

I'm not mocking the ad as a leftie. I'm mocking the ad as a filmmaker.

Really? Because as a piece of "filmmaking" (which, let's be honest, is stretching the definition. It's a commercial) I thought it was pretty good, at least in conveying a deep (well..."not shallow") series of impressions and feelings strictly with imagery, and no dialog. It's not artwork (not unless it's a scene in a feature-length film with Meryl Streep and Kevin Spacey), but it's certainly not a bad campaign ad by any stretch.

That's what's so hilarious about it.

It's begging for about a thousand youtube edits. "Little Johnny got a C on his math test today...," "The cat ate the goldfish...," "Mom announces she's having an affair with dad's golf partner, Rick...dad announces the same...," "Dad just paid full price for a Chevy Volt...," "Where would you be without...bacon?" "Don't let this happen to your family. Watch Two And a Half Men, Mondays at 8."

'I'll be blunt."

Emails David Axelrod.

They are trying to buy this election, and we're the only ones who are standing in their way. Don't wait any longer to take ownership of this campaign

I.e., send them money. Because they want to outbid the others who are trying to buy the election.

Yep.....four more years of this leadership.........that'll work.

Edited by B-Man

Really? Because as a piece of "filmmaking" (which, let's be honest, is stretching the definition. It's a commercial) I thought it was pretty good, at least in conveying a deep (well..."not shallow") series of impressions and feelings strictly with imagery, and no dialog. It's not artwork (not unless it's a scene in a feature-length film with Meryl Streep and Kevin Spacey), but it's certainly not a bad campaign ad by any stretch.

Oh, it's well done from a technical standpoint for sure. And bold. It just uses every manipulative cinematic technique in the book -- all in thirty seconds.

It's also horrifically ironic. Only in America can a family sitting down to dinner as a family, with a roof over their head, be used as a political ploy to make the viewer afraid. It's film school 101.

... But it's no Big Bird. So I should just shut up about it.

It's begging for about a thousand youtube edits. "Little Johnny got a C on his math test today...," "The cat ate the goldfish...," "Mom announces she's having an affair with dad's golf partner, Rick...dad announces the same...," "Dad just paid full price for a Chevy Volt...," "Where would you be without...bacon?" "Don't let this happen to your family. Watch Two And a Half Men, Mondays at 8."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, it's well done from a technical standpoint for sure. And bold. It just uses every manipulative cinematic technique in the book -- all in thirty seconds.

It's also horrifically ironic. Only in America can a family sitting down to dinner as a family, with a roof over their head, be used as a political ploy to make the viewer afraid. It's film school 101.

... But it's no Big Bird. So I should just shut up about it.

If it's ironic, it only reflects the irony inherent in American society. More people relate to "sitting at the dinner table, wondering how we're going to pay the bills and if we can keep the house" than "living out of a cardboard box." Frankly, American society and the media messages surrounding it have always been such...in the USSR, they once tried showing The Grapes of Wrath as a propaganda piece about the inequity of capitalism, and quickly had to pull it when audiences were amazed that the poorest Americans could still own cars. Hell, even today many of the poorest Americans drop tons of cash on iPhones and Nikes while complaining they can't pay the rent or heat their homes...is it really all that ironic in that context?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Mom, was that you? Damn, woman, try some Beano." "Wait a minute...this isn't our house!" "Aunt Marilyn called, she's visiting for a month." "You deserve a break today, at McDonalds." "Didn't we used to have a third kid?"

If it's ironic, it only reflects the irony inherent in American society. More people relate to "sitting at the dinner table, wondering how we're going to pay the bills and if we can keep the house" than "living out of a cardboard box." Frankly, American society and the media messages surrounding it have always been such...in the USSR, they once tried showing The Grapes of Wrath as a propaganda piece about the inequity of capitalism, and quickly had to pull it when audiences were amazed that the poorest Americans could still own cars. Hell, even today many of the poorest Americans drop tons of cash on iPhones and Nikes while complaining they can't pay the rent or heat their homes...is it really all that ironic in that context?

Bingo.

Either do the same in his inane threads, or completely ignore it.

The choice of reason - of which it has none.

Did you see his post in another thread where he claimed he was pretending to be silly and stupid? Classic, Davey pretending to be stupid.