Toronto - more regular season and no preseason games?!?

bbb

Oh I agree that Ralph could do more to ensure the team staying, but he's not doing that. Can't change that. So what's next? Show support for the Bills. Sell out every game. Make people believe it would be a crime to move the Bills. A half-empty RWS doesn't help the cause. So when L.A. comes calling, the media says "Buffalo doesn't support the Bills. No big deal."

PTR

Unfortunately it is difficult for the average fan to support a team that does not contend and hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years. Thats why the team on the field needs to produce. Whether we like it or not, success on the field = butts in seats.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Promo beating the relocation drum. Didn't think that was your style. Why is it that Miami, Tampa Bay, San Diego and a few other teams can't even sell out there home openers, but we are the team that will be relocating? Keep scaring people. And i agree if we have a 4-9 team late in the season, I will find other ways to spend my money. Scare tactics will be long gone once Ralph kicks the bucket. I am patiently waiting.

Promo beating the relocation drum. Didn't think that was your style. Why is it that Miami, Tampa Bay, San Diego and a few other teams can't even sell out there home openers, but we are the team that will be relocating? Keep scaring people. And i agree if we have a 4-9 team late in the season, I will find other ways to spend my money. Scare tactics will be long gone once Ralph kicks the bucket. I am patiently waiting.

Because those teams don't have a 93 year old owner with an expiring lease.

Unfortunately it is difficult for the average fan to support a team that does not contend and hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years. Thats why the team on the field needs to produce. Whether we like it or not, success on the field = butts in seats.

Spare me. We were 5-2 last year and no one was buying late season games. So what will we have to be get folks to buy this year? Obviously 5-2 won't cut it. 6-2? 9-2? 11-2? Excuses we got plenty of.

I didn't agree with you at first, but it's starting to make sense. "Make people believe it would be a crime to move the Bills." Given Ralph's age, a few years of rabid support for a losing franchise tells the NFL it better think twice before letting the Bills move. On the other hand, leaving tons of empty seats certainly can't help the matter. It sucks. Ralph's got us where he wants us. But he's not going to be around forever and there's a chance we could end up with local ownership if the cards play out just right.

Bingo. And think of this too. If we want a decent local owner to step forward how about showing the Bills are a good investment because of fan support.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know, B, but to get robbed of those games is so disappointing to Bills fans. I mean, many Torontonians will go to the game because it is the NFL...but do they care?

That's what stinks.

BTW, incase you didn't know Brawndo has what plants crave. It has electrolytes.

:lol::thumbsup:

'Like, the water that comes from the toilet?

Edited by BRAWNDO

The Bills were smart in tapping into the Toronto market but at the same time created a monster.

Think about it, if T.O. gets another home game the Bills will play 10 road games each year. It takes the 12th man out of two contests. George Wilson said the T.O. series is a road game. You beat it is.

To me if OBD focus was in getting better players as opposed to making money we would be in the playoffs years ago. But when an organization focus is just staying afloat you get what we have got for the last 12 yrs.

Having said that I give Ralph credit for keeping the team here. But when he passes on it is gonna be a hot mess of a situation. What person with deep pockets is going to what to keep the team here with the Toronto agreement in place?? I just don't see it happening that way. We better hope and pray that some team moves to LA before Ralph dies . Or we gonna be like Cleveland but worse.

Spare me. We were 5-2 last year and no one was buying late season games. So what will we have to be get folks to buy this year? Obviously 5-2 won't cut it. 6-2? 9-2? 11-2? Excuses we got plenty of.

PTR

5-2? Youre missing a good chunk of the story there. That says nothing about two blowout losses to two thoroughly mediocre teams (DAL and MIA). That three game road swing killed the Bills last year. I agree that we need to do a better job of filling up the Ralph regardless of the record, but fans can be excused for not crashing the box office to score tickets to a 5-6 team taking a nosedive.

If you really want a number, if the Bills are 5-4 this year heading into the Miami game, that game will sell out. And that's hardly a record thats a playoff lock

AEG is up for sale as of tonight, so there is a lot of speculation as to what that means with the NFL. For some reason, people are thinking it's going to speed the Rams back to LA move.

The Rams...now there's a franchise in a world of hurt. And yet fans still buy tickets. While we in Buffalo lick our wounds over the Bills perceived mediocrity, the Rams are picking in the top 3 every year...and they still suck. Even a "franchise" QB doesn't make them better. And just like the Bills they are always mentioned as an franchise that could move.

PTR

Only one of two teams in town Chef, would you still be a fan if they were a few hours south of you in L.A.? I was a llttle kid when the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego and I have not watched the NBA since.

I will be honest with you I have two season tickets in the Club Level and would be willing to pay the same amount for six games as I do seven. It is that foolish? Probably, but that is the price fans have to pay for having a NFL Team in a small market.

Unfortunately WNY does not have one tenth of the wealth that is concentrated in the Bay Area.

Are we hostage to the Bills and any rules or demands that set? If we want to keep the team in WNY, yes.

Why do I put up with it? I guess I have Stockholm Syndrome.

Save your breath. Your talking to a guy that claimed to be a Dodgers fan, he moved from SoCal to Nocal, the Giants happen to win the World Series that year & now he is a Giants fan. The Dodgers & Giants are bitter rivals. They are the west coast version of the Yankees/Redsox. But this guy converts to being a Giants fan after rooting for Dodger Blue all those years. Chef is a sellout, he has no idea what being a true fan is.

Well stated. :thumbsup:

Edited by LabattBlue

lost in the original mark gaughan article was info that would debunk the "ralph is cheap" crowd:

Last week's column reported the current Bills' payroll stood ninth in cash spending and 10th in total contract values of all the players this year.

This week, radio station 1500 ESPN in Minneapolis reported it had cumulative player spending data for the seven-year period from 2005 to 2011. This was actual money spent on players.

The Bills, surprisingly, ranked 14th in the NFL, at $744 million.

The data shows there was not a sure-fire link between spending and winning. Pittsburgh was 32nd over those seven years, at $621 million. The Steelers won two Super Bowls and lost another over that span. The Giants, who won in 2007 and 2011, ranked 30th at $695 million.

Spending doesn't hurt, however. Super Bowl winners Indianapolis, New Orleans and Green Bay all were in the top 10 and so was perennial contender Baltimore. Here are the rankings, with the dollars in millions:

1. Minnesota, $808. 2. Oakland, $797. 3. Indianapolis, $786. 4. New Orleans, $782. 5. San Diego, $771. 6. Green Bay, $768. 7. Dallas, $760. 8. Houston, $760. 9. Miami, $760. 10. Baltimore, $750.

11. Cleveland $748. 12. Arizona, $747. 13. Atlanta, $746. 14. Buffalo, $744. 15. Jacksonville $743. 16. New England, $742. 17. Philadelphia, $741. 18. Carolina, $738. 19. St. Louis, 737. 20. Washington, $736.

21. Chicago, $733. 22. Cincinnati, $732. 23. Seattle, $731. 24. Tennessee, $719. 25. San Francisco, $718. 26. Kansas City, $717. 27. N.Y. Jets, $703. 28. Denver, $701. 29. Detroit, $679. 30. N.Y. Giants, $695. 31. Tampa $682. 32. Pittsburgh, $621.

5-2? Youre missing a good chunk of the story there. That says nothing about two blowout losses to two thoroughly mediocre teams (DAL and MIA). That three game road swing killed the Bills last year. I agree that we need to do a better job of filling up the Ralph regardless of the record, but fans can be excused for not crashing the box office to score tickets to a 5-6 team taking a nosedive.

If you really want a number, if the Bills are 5-4 this year heading into the Miami game, that game will sell out. And that's hardly a record thats a playoff lock

So what you are saying is that Bills fans wait to the very last possible minute to buy game tickets? We beat the Pats and no one thinks "Hey, I should go buy a ticket"?

PTR

Russ Brandon was just on WGR and said the report of more regular season games in Toronto was not accurate and said they will NOT play more than one regular season game per season in Toronto.

That is great news!

I can/will/have to tolerate 1 game/season.

2 would be a farce

So what you are saying is that Bills fans wait to the very last possible minute to buy game tickets? We beat the Pats and no one thinks "Hey, I should go buy a ticket"?

PTR

With all fairness to the argument. That was week 3. As fans we just dealt with being 5-1 under Trent and Juron a few years ago and how'd that turn out? MOST fans have a wait and see attitude regardless of team. We have a pretty high number of season tix holders and it's growing. We have one of the larger stadiums in the league which doesn't help our sell out numbers. FWIW, I dont believe the Jets sold out thier opener and that was against a division rival. There were other teams that didn't sell out thier openers but we don't hear anything about them. There are always other teams that have issues with sellouts. Miami, St Loius, Jax, San Diego, Cincinnati, Tampa, San Fran. I've been to some of these stadiums myself at different points where they may or may not have been in the playoff hunt yet don't have a sellout. The only point I can really give to you is that we have possibly the cheapest ticket in the league.

We have maybe 3 games a year that are in jeopardy of a blackout. Those games are almost ALWAYS the last 3 of the year. It's cold, rainy, snowy, pointless to almost anyone that doesn't already have season tix. My guess would be by week 8 if we have a solid record, and actually look like were the real deal, those games will/would sell out. We were 5-2 after week 8 last year, then home against the Jets (sellout) then 3 road losses to the Cowboys, Dolphins and Jets again Making us 5-6 after a 5-2 start. That pretty much would destroy almost any teams (not named Steelers, Packers, Bears, Giants, Eagles, Seahawks, Redskins) hopes for sellouts for thier last 3 home games. On top of that, We lost 2 more in a row, at home and away against the Titans and then Chargers before our next homegame. At 5-8, no one could blame the fans of any team for not showing up. Many of the 6 losses in a row were also demoralizing in the fact that we lost by 20-30 in quite a few of them and on top of that we lost many key players that killed any hopes even more.

I said it before, but get to 5-2 by week 8 but don't lose 2-3 4-5 in a row and you won't have this problem. Sellouts are awarded the Fridays before the game right? Most fans generally do have a wait and see attitude. Especially after 12 straight years of crap.

The Rams...now there's a franchise in a world of hurt. And yet fans still buy tickets. While we in Buffalo lick our wounds over the Bills perceived mediocrity, the Rams are picking in the top 3 every year...and they still suck. Even a "franchise" QB doesn't make them better. And just like the Bills they are always mentioned as an franchise that could move.

PTR

I had never heard of the Rams having no problem selling tickets, but I figured you knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't. While the Bills next few games are sold out - the Rams next game - you can get PLENTY of seats:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/060048E9B2C13A27?artistid=806024&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=8

I had never heard of the Rams having no problem selling tickets, but I figured you knew what you were talking about. Turns out you don't. While the Bills next few games are sold out - the Rams next game - you can get PLENTY of seats:

http://www.ticketmas...04&minorcatid=8

Promo doesn't know what he was talking about when it comes to this topic. He continuosly states that even during our glory years we had trouble filling the stadium. I laid it out in other post how we averaged 77-79k fans at the games from 88-94. There were a couple of non sellouts during that period but they certainly were not the norm & even the non sellouts drew 70K + to the games.

Bottomline is you put a winner here in Buffalo & those December games will sellout. Put a perrenial winner here & give the fan base some real hope & you would be able to jack the ticket prices up $10 - $20 across the board & the place would still be sold out. I really believe that.

http://www.ticketmas...04&minorcatid=8

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2011

This is a better example. Turns out I was wrong. The Rams are doing slightly worse than the Bills.

PTR

Russ Brandon was just on WGR and said the report of more regular season games in Toronto was not accurate and said they will NOT play more than one regular season game per season in Toronto.

Thanks - I would have to imagine that NYS & Erie County would want such an assurance before committing major funds for RWS renovations.

Link - Bills Won't Play Multiple Games In Toronto Each Year

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer: