Chan and the running game

Pirate Angel

Fitz threw 2 TDs today and broke off a couple of nice runs too.....wasn't that bad. He kept the bone headed mistakes to a minimum and did a nice job feeding CJ. Don't over think Fitz's performance.

BTW, I have been seeing a lot of criticism on the CBs too. While they looked horrible last week, I think they bounced back fairly well this week by taking away the quick strikes that the Jets capitalized on last week. They are a young group and will get better as the season progresses.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really? There were a few times yesterday that the Bills got a little too cute with the playcalling especially with the wildcat.

Gailey's non-conventional plays are like spices: they make the meal exciting when used in moderation. Too much and it doesn't taste right. Buffalo used too many cute, non-conventional plays yesterday. The Wildcat play featuring Brad Smith deep in Buffalo's own end wound up forcing a punt, which might have been the best outcome considering the circumstances. The goal line tight end reverse to Dorin Dickerson was silly. Buffalo needed to pound the ball down the defense's throats with Tashard Choice in that situation. Fitzpatrick and Scott Chandler bailed the team out after the Dickerson eight-yard-loss, but it could have been worse. In a tight game, Buffalo needs all their possessions to count. It's a small thing, but Gailey needs to be more judicious with his "spices".

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/9/17/3343082/bills-35-chiefs-17-cj-spiller-chan-gailey

Chan made a couple of interesting comments this morning:

"I'd rather control the clock and run the football"

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills

Gailey on if he marvels at CJ Spiller: "No, because I'm trying to figure out the next way to get him the ball"

Buffalo Bills@buffalobills

Gailey used to coach the wishbone offense, prefers the run game to the pass game to control clock, etc. but prefers production over all.

I've NEVER heard anyone say that Gailey prefers to run over pass but maybe he knew they didn't have the horses in the trenches to run the ball they way he wanted. Now he's got five absolute maulers with two very capable backups. I'd LOVE to see the Bills adopt a Raven's style of game where you play great defense, play smashmouth and throw the ball where necessary. NOTHING will help the passing game better than a dominate running game. Play action passing could be amazing when both Fred and CJ are on the field.

I still don't think we have the personnel to be a "pounding" team. I think the way we run is just fine... 15 or so runs for the main RB, with 5 touches or so coming lined up as a WR.

We currently have CJ, Choice, McIntyre and Dickerson....I disagree. I would love to see t beasts like Cory and Dorin get more carries. Let the secondary tackle them a few times after chasing CJ halfway down the field.

We currently have CJ, Choice, McIntyre and Dickerson....I disagree. I would love to see t beasts like Cory and Dorin get more carries. Let the secondary tackle them a few times after chasing CJ halfway down the field.

CJ was beat up yesterday. You could see it clearly in the first half, and then cemented when Gailey changed the game plan in the second half, along with running Choice more. When we get FredEx back, I'd support "pounding" more. But for now, the draws, counters, and lining CJ up outside is working great.

Gailey prefered keeping up with NFL trends. NFL trends dictate it's a passing league and that points are scored through the passing game. Which is generally true. However you still have your collection of teams that play ball control offense aka "Ground and Pound" some by design some by necessity. You don't have to be a ground and pound team to be a run oriented offense. You can be a big play run offense that can break a game open , you can use the pass to set up the run which can be used to control a game or to simply keep a defense off balance. We're not built to be a traditional ground and pound offense but CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson are the best player on our offense and as such should have the offense built around their abilities. CJ now and CJ/Fred when Fred comes back from injury

Never knew that about the wishbone offense. I would love to see that the base offense. It would be the next big thing that would fool everyone. The thing is, it wouldn't be as gimmicky as the WC and we actually have the horses to pull it off. CJ and Freddy on the outsides, CMac blocking either direction, misdirection and cutback plays where Freddy and CMac take it one way, when the entire defense jumps over to one side, pitch it to CJ in the opposite direction for a long run after he gets to the outside. Could throw Choice in there and have any 3 running the ball in any direction. Lots of blocking up front whereever you go with it.

It's too bad Freddy probably won't be ready for the New England game because it would be huge to open it up against the Pats.

But...but...I've been reading opinions from all of the "experts" on this board who "know" Gailey is pass-happy and won't run the ball enough.

You don't think perhaps Chan knows his personnel better than we do, and has been waiting for the OL to gel and develop into a physical presence? No, of course not.

Yesterday was a great game to shut up the know-it-alls who ignored Chan's coaching history of being a guy who loves to showcase a strong running attack. The thing is, Chan is also smart enough to know you can't be one-dimensional, and he has now put an offense in place that can show multiple looks to a defense and either pound you with the run, or spread you out with the pass.

But...but...I've been reading opinions from all of the "experts" on this board who "know" Gailey is pass-happy and won't run the ball enough.

You don't think perhaps Chan knows his personnel better than we do, and has been waiting for the OL to gel and develop into a physical presence? No, of course not.

Yesterday was a great game to shut up the know-it-alls who ignored Chan's coaching history of being a guy who loves to showcase a strong running attack. The thing is, Chan is also smart enough to know you can't be one-dimensional, and he has now put an offense in place that can show multiple looks to a defense and either pound you with the run, or spread you out with the pass.

E, Come on man. I normally don't disagree with what you usually add in but this is rediculous. Chan is pass happy. It's been obvious over the past few years. Even yesterday he limited the runs in the 2nd half. Spiller had over 100 at half time and about 30 or so in the 2nd half. That says it all. To your point about about his personel, why didn't he realize this somewhat last year. When Freddy was playing amazing early and CJ was playing very good later. We all saw last year the kind of player CJ was turning into. He killed the run game in many games last year prematurely.

I just dont think it's as obvious that he knew what he had and we didn't. Many of us here saw that CJ could be a killer yet wasn't getting enough carries. He's still not. He should be getting it another 5 or so times a game. So far this season is funny. We were down big one game, so we couldn't run and up big another so we pulled many starters. Take it for what it is but please don't insult everyones intelligence that doubts Chan. He's been suspect so far.

He also said that he understands that the defense can force you into a throwing offense by stacking the box. So while he prefers to run first, he will take what the defense is giving him. If the defense is playing to stop the run, then Fitz is going to have to move the chains and throw 30+ times.

Considering teams try to take away the opponents biggest strength, I will expect to see teams trying to stop the run on us. In other words, Fitz will still have to come through.

What's surprising to me though is, even when Freddie was running all over teams last year, they did not seem to stack the box. This left for tight windows that Fitz had to fit the ball into (not exactly his strength). However, with the explosiveness of CJ, I really think teams will have to majorly respect the run and I could see this opening up big plays for Fitz and the passing game. Let's hope his grossly inaccurate throws this week discontinue and he can capitalize on this.

E, Come on man. I normally don't disagree with what you usually add in but this is rediculous. Chan is pass happy. It's been obvious over the past few years. Even yesterday he limited the runs in the 2nd half. Spiller had over 100 at half time and about 30 or so in the 2nd half. That says it all. To your point about about his personel, why didn't he realize this somewhat last year. When Freddy was playing amazing early and CJ was playing very good later. We all saw last year the kind of player CJ was turning into. He killed the run game in many games last year prematurely.

I just dont think it's as obvious that he knew what he had and we didn't. Many of us here saw that CJ could be a killer yet wasn't getting enough carries. He's still not. He should be getting it another 5 or so times a game. So far this season is funny. We were down big one game, so we couldn't run and up big another so we pulled many starters. Take it for what it is but please don't insult everyones intelligence that doubts Chan. He's been suspect so far.

You're wrong. Everybody knows the reason the OL had good stats last year was because of the playcalling and Fitz's quick decisions. The running game worked because Chan spread the defenses out. We were not a mauling, in-your-face running team because we couldn't afford to be. The OL has developed considerably and what you saw yesterday was the implementation of an attack Chan favors. You and others point to last season's pass-run ratio as "evidence" of what Chan "wants" to do, rather than looking at his entire body of work and realizing he's not trying to bring back the chuck-n-duck.

Even when the running game is working, you can't be one-dimensional and keep pounding it. One, it wears down your backs, and two, defenses adjust. That's why you continue to see the spread and "questionable" playcalling, as you would put it.

You also change your playcalling based upon the game situation. Anybody think perhaps that 4 play 80 yard drive in the 3rd quarter, with two huge pass plays, was the result of KC cheating to stop the run?

Gailey coaches a team that has largely played from behind during his first two seasons -- that impacts playcalling as well. Too many fans take a very simplistic view and don't truly understand what factors lead to successful and unsuccessful plays.

I'll say it again -- Gailey is not a "pass-happy" playcaller and those who continue to assert he is just aren't getting it.