Fitzmagic, more like Fitzpathetic

Jerry Jabber

Okay. Who is that "real franchise QB" who's worth trading up for?

• Matt Barkley?
  • Logan Thomas?
  • Landry Jones?
  • Geno Smith?
  • Tyler Wilson?
  • Tyler Bray?

As of right now, there's no Luck or RGIII in this draft. I can't overstate that enough. It's a crapshoot, unless someone posts supersonic numbers this year.

BA

As of right now, you have no idea of there's a "luck or rg3" in this draft. Rg3 wasn't a sure fire top 5 pick at this time last year. There are some talented guys in college and there's a chance one or two of them can turn into a qb worthy of a top 5 selection. If there are a couple prospects that emerge, I hope we trade up for one. Even if that giving up multiple 1st rd picks. I said the same last year about rg3 and luck. We NEED a good qb or we'll never amount to anything. Adding a good HC with good coordinators will help the cause too.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He stunk up the place, no question, but he had plenty of skunks keeping him company.

When your D doesn't force a punt until the 4th quarter. there is plenty of blame to go around.

I agree 100% I brought up that point about the D in another thread. Plus, the punt team gave up a 68 yard return for a TD. In essence, the Bills gave up 31 points to the Jets.

I agree 100% I brought up that point about the D in another thread. Plus, the punt team gave up a 68 yard return for a TD. In essence, the Bills gave up 31 points to the Jets.

Well, keep in mind, its hard for the D when its on the field constantly because the offense can not sustain a drive or keeps turning the ball over. They don't get a lot of rest when that happens

As of right now, you have no idea of there's a "luck or rg3" in this draft. Rg3 wasn't a sure fire top 5 pick at this time last year. There are some talented guys in college and there's a chance one or two of them can turn into a qb worthy of a top 5 selection. If there are a couple prospects that emerge, I hope we trade up for one. Even if that giving up multiple 1st rd picks. I said the same last year about rg3 and luck. We NEED a good qb or we'll never amount to anything. Adding a good HC with good coordinators will help the cause too.

BINGO!

"Coincidence?" -- Well the Bills thought they had "that guy" in Johnson. And Losman. And Edwards. Strike 1, 2, 3.

Let's take a look at the last decade of highly drafted QBs, who were given high grades, and teams either bit based upon those grades, or reached:

• 2002: David Carr (#1 overall); Joey Harrington (#3 overall) ... Unless you count Patrick Ramsey, not a single drafted QB from this class is still playing.
  • 2003: Carson Palmer (#1 overall) ... (yawn)
  • 2005: Alex Smith (#1 overall); Byron Lefwitch (#7 overall) -- Smith is "meh," and even then only in the right system.
  • 2006: Vince Young (#3 overall)
  • 2007 Jamarcus Russell (#1 overall)
  • 2010: Jake Locker (#8 overall); Blaine Gabbert (#10 overall) -- Ponder, taken later, will be in the league far longer than these two.

Hey, I'm with you. We need a franchise QB. I just don't believe we'll have to trade up to get our guy next draft. And I'm not so sure we'll see "Sam Bradford or better" in that draft.

BA

First...some of the guys you said are not in the league are still in the league like David Carr who is still Eli's back up.

Second...you left off some names that were drafted since the first year you have listed, probably because it doesn't support your case...like say Flacco, Matt Ryan, and Aaron Rodgers who was the 24th pick in the draft. And sorry, but Alex Smith looked like ehhh a few years ago. Now he looks legit from last year and his first week this year.

Third...I don't get all these people who are against drafting a QB because of the risk. How else do you plan on getting one? Teams don't give up on or trade away franchise QB's in their prime. The only avenue is the draft.

Fourth...the risk of a QB being a bust or not in the top 15 picks is not as high as other positions. QB being the riskiest is just a myth and has already been proven by several sites through statistics that QB in the top 15 picks does not have the highest bust percentage. People mistakenly think so because QB is such a high profile position and when one busts or becomes a stud its more news worthy than a DL or OL guy struggling or dominating.

Personally, I am so tired of us trekking out retreads (Fitz, Holcomb, etc) or high risk raw guys (Losman, Johnson, etc) rather than just investing a high pick or even trading up to get a real solid QB prospect. I am still pissed we passed on Mallet when we could have had a top 15 talent in the 3rd round where his rumored off field issues were worth the risk in the 3rd round. He was the best pure passer in that draft. Or this year, when guys like Wilson, Foles, Cousins, etc were on the board in the 3rd round and we instead went for TJ. Now I like TJ and his potential, however, QB is such a more important position, and clearly the staff felt we needed at the very least a better back up QB as they brought in VY and then traded for Jackson. So QB was a bigger need than many wanted to believe around here.

I don't care what Fitz does or doesn't do this year...we must grab a young QB this year. If Fitz magically turns into a stud the rest of the year, great, then we can afford to wait to the 2nd or so to target a guy, but if Fitz plays like Fitz normally plays, we must do what is necessary to grab a franchise QB this year. Look at the difference RG3 made for Was this year...if the guy is their and the pick is available for trade you simply just have to go get him. If the guy you want is going to be their when you pick, even better...but thats not normally the case unless you are picking in the top 5 or at the very least top 10.

Lies or delusion...I as well as many others kept saying Fitz was not playing as good as the record suggested nor worth the contract..I said he LOST us the NE game, but was bailed out by an unrelated penalty on an INT that was 10 yards under thrown. I am getting tired of people saying no one complained during the 5-2 run when there were a lot of people questioning Fitz and his new contract throughout that 5-2 run where he was not nearly as impressive as people make him out to be. In fact, it reminds me of when we started 4-0 with Trent and people were over exaggerating his play while us people used our eyes and knew he was not playing nearly as good as the 4-0 record suggested. Just like last year, when the lucky breaks stopped happening, we pretty much lost out.

Besides who the heck cares about the 5-2 start? Does that make up for the losing out? Does that make up for 7 years of not good enough? Does that make up for his terrible decision making and weak arm?

Right on. Whenever anything is said remotely negative after a win, the cheerleading squad on this forum wants that person lynched and their posting abilities revoked. Then a year later we get the "nobody was complaining when..." posts. Please.

He stunk up the place, no question, but he had plenty of skunks keeping him company.

When your D doesn't force a punt until the 4th quarter. there is plenty of blame to go around.

True...But this thread is about Fitz...And I've seen the same sort of deflection around here time and time again when he stinks it up...Sure The Bills have other problems...they always have other problems...most teams do...

But Fitz is the QB...It's a QB's league...He's not good enough...Don't change the subject... ;)

Well, keep in mind, its hard for the D when its on the field constantly because the offense can not sustain a drive or keeps turning the ball over. They don't get a lot of rest when that happens

You do realize TOP was almost the same, which means the Jests D was on the field just as much. Short drives don't wear a D out.

About Fitz yeah he had a crappy game, and it happens to him more than other QBs. I still hope it is fixable.

So I will go with Fixpatrick.

BTW this thread has so many posters in it that I blocked already, I just want to thank a bunch of new ones for adding their opinions :thumbsup:

Fitz is tied for 1st place in the NFL in TD passes and is not leading the league in interceptions.

Awesome story are u really serious bringing this stat up ? Game was over in 1st qtr due to his boneheaded Int's

Give it up let's move on to the next qb. How much bigger of a sample size do u possibly need ? He threw Td's when we were down by 40 WHOOOOOOOOOO.

I agree. The Bills basically gave up 31 points to the Jets on Sunday, from 3 INT's 1 fumble, and 1 punt return for a TD. Everytime the offense turns it over, it's an opportunity for the opposing offense to score.

How is this thread any different than one for Trent Edwards, JP Losman or even Drew Bledsoe?

When you have a good one, you know it. No debates. No discussion.

We do not have a good, consistent, talented QB.

Rinse. Repeat.

I agree. We also need some real WR's.

A great QB would make our WR's look more than adequate...Not great mind you...But good enough to win... B-)

How is this thread any different than one for Trent Edwards, JP Losman or even Drew Bledsoe?

When you have a good one, you know it. No debates. No discussion.

We do not have a good, consistent, talented QB.

Rinse. Repeat.

Exactly... B-)

Logan Thomas.......you are on the clock VT and Buff Bills connection is always around

Logan Thomas.......you are on the clock VT and Buff Bills connection is always around

I would be careful on Thomas. THis guy is goiing to shoot up the draft charts once the combine starts due to his measurables(6-5, athletic, has a cannon for an arm) but if you watch alot of their games he does not dominate them like he should. I would think with his ability he would dominate like Cam Newton did at Auburn & it is just not the cae. I mean Beamer plays a certain close to the vest style & likes to lean on the Defense/running game/special teams so that may have something to do with it also. Like I said he certainly has all the tools but so did Russell.

I didn't like the Johnson signing from the get go. Johnson came off the bench and played great for 1 game, that wasn't enough to garner giving up a 1st & 4th round draft picks for him.

That was a bitter pill for me to swallow, too.

If he would have waited, Aaron Rodgers would have been there for us the following year.

Nobody expected Rogers to fall as far as he did. Plus, we didn't have a first-round pick in 2005.

Bill Walsh recommended Edwards, and I would have done the same thing as Levy.

I believe Edwards only won one game for the Cardinal the year he was drafted. I could be wrong on this, but there was something that made me say, "WTF?"

While you listed a bunch of first round busts, you also failed to post successful 1st, 2nd & other round QB's.

Guilty as charged. The purpose of that list wasn't to name the studs -- We know who they are. The purpose was to list the "hyped" QBs who are no longer in the league, or didn't live up to that hype.

I think we're in agreement that we need a franchise QB. And that guy could be had in the first round of next year's draft. My point from the get-go was that we won't have to trade up. Cheers.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams