Please explain how this works?

Gary M

I borrowed every penny for college and living expenses. It took close to a year to get the job I really wanted and have earned way more money by going to college than not. I recommend to any young person to borrow the money if they have to, in the end it is way better to have the education than not. More doors will be opened.

Funny. In all that, I don't see where your earnings "potential" bought ****.

But I'm still pretty sure it buys less when you're paying off debt.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed every penny for college and living expenses. It took close to a year to get the job I really wanted and have earned way more money by going to college than not. I recommend to any young person to borrow the money if they have to, in the end it is way better to have the education than not. More doors will be opened.

College degrees, like everything else, are subject to the law of supply and demand. The more scarce they are, the more value they have. When they're abundant, they have little to no value at all.

Actually Walmart offers a very competitive healthcare plan.

Full-time employees are eligible for benefits, but the health insurance package is so expensive (employees pay 35 percent - almost double the national average) that less than half opt to buy it.

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores3.html

Claiming that it's too expensive, Wal-Mart has announced it is rescinding health coverage for part-time workers and drastically raising premiums for much of its full time staff.

According to The New York Times, the country's largest private employer told all of its employees working less that 24 hours a week that they will no longer qualify for insurance and anyone working up to 33 hours a week may no longer include a spouse on their plan.

Rates are expected to climb by more than 40 percent for some employees. Combined with high deductibles, employees are complaining that their health care will now eat up to 20 percent of their annual pay.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-21/news/30305229_1_wal-mart-health-coverage-offering-health-plans

Only 40 percent of American retail workers have health insurance. Tragically, at Walmart, many workers cannot afford health benefit plans offered by the company because the cost of medical insurance in many cases consumes more than 75 percent of employees’ gross income. So, it is no surprise that, in 21 out of 23 states that release state-provided healthcare enrollment data, Walmart has more employees on the public rolls than any other employer. Worse still, in 2011, Walmart pulled the plug on health-insurance for part-time employees working less than 24 hours per week, and raised premiums for workers by as much as 63 percent. Unlike the words of the movie, “The Godfather II,” Walmart workers are given a health insurance offer they have to refuse.

http://www.newpittsburghcourieronline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7912:walmarts-lack-of-value&catid=40:opinion&Itemid=54

Walmart employs over 30% part-time workers- exact numbers are hard to find but

Harlow said that Walmart was investing between $4 million to $6 million in the property. Walmart representatives said that about 60 percent or more of what is being sold in the Market will be food items. About 60 jobs will be created, and Walmart’s usual ratio is 60 percent full-time and 40 percent part-time, Harlow said. At least initially, the store will not sell liquor, which would require a public hearing for a conditional use permit (CUP).

http://www.altadenablog.com/2012/06/walmart-chamber-of-commerce-meet-to-discuss-market.html

lastly walmart has a 70% yearly turnover rate one factor is low pay but just as important is a totally unpredictable work scheduled which makes a second job almost impossible.

You thought wrong. I don't believe that is the situation for everyone. Maybe for some graduates but not for all.

Okay...let's try this again. Please explain how you expand the economy from the middle class out. You specifically stated that you were voting for Obama because you get this concept. Do you understand the concept or not?

Republicans just don't get the concept. This is why I'm voting for Obama.

That's ironic.

You don't realize it but what you really said is Republicans are unwilling to arbitrarily stop at the level of abstraction that makes your philosophy sensible.

"Invest in people" is empty. There's no lack of funding or opportunity for education, nor is there any empirical evidence that suggests that's the problem holding people back. It's just an easy answer that seems plausible as long as your ignorant of the underlying forces & the details involved.

All you're really advocating is adding another layer of separation between the people paying for this "investment" & those reaping the benefits. Half the kids catching a free ride at community colleges put little value in it & have even less appreciation for the opportunity.

How about other people do what you did & invest in themselves? And how does any of this amount to growing the economy "from the middle class out".

I have a system that has served me well over the past few years,

Whenever I read a known lib poster start a reply with; So let me get this straight..... or so, what you're saying is ......

I put any coffee I have down, and get ready to laugh.

So let me get this straight. You guys are all against getting a college education. No wonder you guys are all a bunch of retards.

Let's try one more time. You specifically stated that you were voting for Obama because you get his concept of growing the economy from the middle out. Please explain how you expand the economy from the middle class out.

Let's try one more time. You specifically stated that you were voting for Obama because you get his concept of growing the economy from the middle out. Please explain how you expand the economy from the middle class out.

I get it, you are against education, retard.

/Fan in San Diego

I get it, you are against education, retard.

/Fan in San Diego

Why do so many arguments with liberals devolve into, "well you're against XYZ!"

Lets begin with the basics.

http://mat.usc.edu/u...ld-infographic/

The U.S. currently spends well more per capita on education than any nation on earth. If spending were the driver of education then certainly the American dominance would be reflected in test scores or some quantifiable measure. Yet the U.S. seems to lag a few nations in core subjects like math and science that spend considerably less per student. It reasons that spending is not the issue, and that spending more on education makes little sense until the root problem is identified. But if you propose that we freeze or even cut spending on education, which seems very reasonable given a quick review of the facts, well then you're anti-education. The only way to prove you're not anti-education is to spend, spend, spend, however stupidly it may be.

If you suggest that we cut entitlements that have proven to be unsustainable economically, then you hate the poor. If you oppose the ACA, then you want to kill grandma. If you think that a religious institution shouldn't be forced by the federal government to provide birth control to their employees thus contradicting their own practices and beliefs, then you're waging war against women.

I'm pretty sure I could run for office on the Free Pizza platform. If anyone questions the wisdom of spending all of my county's tax revenue on pepperoni pizza, I'll simply label them anti-pizza. And what kind of un-American, Al Qaeda sympathizing f#$% hates pizza?

Edited by Jauronimo

Well you're against liberalism!

Well, yeah.

But I support the poor.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8978929/Medellin-slum-gets-giant-outdoor-escalator.html

I can't remember who posted the article detailing the folly of this shining act of human decency, but if whoever originally posted it can dig it up, I would appreciate it.

Funny ! This place reminds me of the "Whack a mole" game. It's absurd and you can never nail down anything.

Hey, while you're back here...quick question: You specifically stated that you were voting for Obama because you get his concept of growing the economy from the middle out. Please explain how you expand the economy from the middle class out.