Please explain how this works?

Gary M

I would like to piggyback this thread to pose a relatively similar question based on a comment I heard from the Obama camp today. Please note I am not an economics person, and genuinely do not understand the premise of this concept, and would truly like honest answers if at all possible.

The guy from the Obama campaign today said the Obama plan is to grow the economy "from the middle class out." Can someone explain to me how an economy can grow from the middle class out, and what would be required to make this happen?

Since most people are Middle Class and our Economy is 70% consumer spending, it would be logical to conclude more spendable money in the hands of the masses would produce demand, which would produce sales, which produce demand for hiring, which would make more spenders out there... peolple will argue with me over this, but the fact is simple.. if the middle class doesn't spend, we're in trouble...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since most people are Middle Class and our Economy is 70% consumer spending, it would be logical to conclude more spendable money in the hands of the masses would produce demand, which would produce sales, which produce demand for hiring, which would make more spenders out there... peolple will argue with me over this, but the fact is simple.. if the middle class doesn't spend, we're in trouble...

How do you achieve this? Which specific policies could lead to this? From their Viewpoint

The fact that so many reasonably intelligent people think this way is the greatest indictment of American education I know of.

I would like to piggyback this thread to pose a relatively similar question based on a comment I heard from the Obama camp today. Please note I am not an economics person, and genuinely do not understand the premise of this concept, and would truly like honest answers if at all possible.

The guy from the Obama campaign today said the Obama plan is to grow the economy "from the middle class out." Can someone explain to me how an economy can grow from the middle class out, and what would be required to make this happen?

Wizards and faeries.

How do you increase everyone's spendable money?

Fire up the Fan/Fred machine, write down mortgage debt so that people can get equity in their homes again, so they can borrow against their homes again, and then go out shopping.

Fire up the Fan/Fred machine, write down mortgage debt so that people can get equity in their homes again, so they can borrow against their homes again, and then go out shopping.

Which will systematically cause a tanking of all mortgage back securities and begin a domino effect that will make 2008-9 look like a walk in the San Diego sunshine.

Like I said, "wizards and faeries".

Investing in people, I'm assuming is education loans, the person improves their station in life, higher earning potential, can now buy that house, car or whatever. which in turn helps grow the economy and we all benefit.

Wait a minute. I thought everyone had student loans and that the loans were part of the problem because the loans were too big and the graduates couldn't get a decent job to pay back the loans. Something tells me you're making an incorrect assumption.

Growing the economy from the middle class out: You said you're voting for Obama because of your understanding of this concept, so would you mind taking another shot at what you assume this means because I genuinely do not understand how it works.

Investing in people, I'm assuming is education loans, the person improves their station in life, higher earning potential, can now buy that house, car or whatever. which in turn helps grow the economy and we all benefit.

This was just a bunch of talking points.

How do we achieve this?

Specifics please.

First, you're assuming.

Second, earnings POTENTIAL has very little purchase power.

Third, earnings "potential" has even less purchasing power when you're already leveraged up the ass with loans before you earn a penny.

Other than that, you still don't know what you're talking about.

Wait a minute. I thought everyone had student loans and that the loans were part of the problem because the loans were too big and the graduates couldn't get a decent job to pay back the loans. Something tells me you're making an incorrect assumption.

Growing the economy from the middle class out: You said you're voting for Obama because of your understanding of this concept, so would you mind taking another shot at what you assume this means because I genuinely do not understand how it works.

You thought wrong. I don't believe that is the situation for everyone. Maybe for some graduates but not for all.

First, you're assuming.

Second, earnings POTENTIAL has very little purchase power.

Third, earnings "potential" has even less purchasing power when you're already leveraged up the ass with loans before you earn a penny.

Other than that, you still don't know what you're talking about.

I borrowed every penny for college and living expenses. It took close to a year to get the job I really wanted and have earned way more money by going to college than not. I recommend to any young person to borrow the money if they have to, in the end it is way better to have the education than not. More doors will be opened.