My scouting notes on Jets v. Bills

jonramz

Watched both games a few times on all-22 took a bunch of notes

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=93

I really like this match up for the Bills. With the DL and OLB upgrades, I would expect the Bills to sit back and play coverage and make the Jets QB's (whoever is in there) beat them while only rushing 4. Bills I would expect to use multiple TE and RB packages to keep the Jets out of their funky nickel/dime packages.

Let me know if you have any comments/questions

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

Yeah I plan on doing this for every game... I just love talking football.

Regarding Moats, I don't know how much he will actually be on the field this year because he comes of the field anytime a team is not in their base offense. The good thing about this defense though is that he shouldn't have to be a playmaker, just an average starter and the Bills will be all set. I will say he is much better moving forward than dropping into coverage, where it can get ugly

Outstanding stuff. Keep 'em coming.

I noted in an earlier thread that I'm hoping Gailey can devise some pass plays to hurt the Jests in the middle of the field as that will force Rex to rethink some coverage schemes. But like you said, their D is very good at taking away the middle of the field. It's an old axiom but it's true; you gotta be strong up the middle.

GO BILLS!!!

Lee Smith is an overlooked player. We're in spread open so often you forget he's even on the roster. I expect to see him as the in line TE in single back sets with Chandler the flex Y. Hopefully we use him more, hell of a blocker.

I really like this match up for the Bills. With the DL and OLB upgrades, I would expect the Bills to sit back and play coverage and make the Jets QB's (whoever is in there) beat them while only rushing 4. Bills I would expect to use multiple TE and RB packages to keep the Jets out of their funky nickel/dime packages.

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

Nice! Do you think tebow would be in for anything but some wildcat BS? Personally I think it's Sanchez all the way, and Rex is blowing some smoke on Tebows role in their O. For now at least.

-Jon

yardsperpass.com

Nice writeup, Jon, thanks for sharing. Good observations.

I think Barnett is truly a MLB at heart. That has its positives and its negatives.

Nice! Do you think tebow would be in for anything but some wildcat BS? Personally I think it's Sanchez all the way, and Rex is blowing some smoke on Tebows role in their O. For now at least.

Short yardage, goal line and the occasional trick play... that's all they will use Tebow for. Anything else will cause way too much turmoil. Rex knows this, so unless he wants the craziness to begin, he needs to really watch how he uses Tebow

Nice writeup, Jon, thanks for sharing. Good observations.

I think Barnett is truly a MLB at heart. That has its positives and its negatives.

Yeah he wants to be able to run and chase... not take on blockers. The switch to the 4-3 is going to help him the most

• Jets edge defenders are fantastic against play action, rarely if ever lose contain on the naked boot. Complete opposite of the Bills who are terrible on contain (I’m looking at you Chris Kelsay)

Very nice.

With Kelsay playing RDE, does this limit his exposure to the bootleg plays, as QBs would be going to their RIGHT, toward Williams?

I don't really know.

• Jets edge defenders are fantastic against play action, rarely if ever lose contain on the naked boot. Complete opposite of the Bills who are terrible on contain (I’m looking at you Chris Kelsay)

Very nice.

With Kelsay playing RDE, does this limit his exposure to the bootleg plays, as QBs would be going to their RIGHT, toward Williams?

I don't really know.

Actually I think Kelsay is strong at contain, sniffing out screens early, not overcommitting, keeping the edge, finishing plays. Sounds like he struggled there against the Jets but I would worry more about his pass pressure than his open field play. That's always been his best attribute.

Actually I think Kelsay is strong at contain, sniffing out screens early, not overcommitting, keeping the edge, finishing plays. Sounds like he struggled there against the Jets but I would worry more about his pass pressure than his open field play. That's always been his best attribute.

Kelsay crashes down A LOT on bootlegs, so when the fake handoff is made and the QB rolls out, he's often trying to recover, giving chase. Since he's not the fleetest of foot, he rarely (if ever) reaches the QB before the pass is thrown. It happened again against MIN this preseason. When the Vikes were near the goal line, Christian Ponder faked a handoff and rolled out to his right. Since Kelsay crashed down, Christian was able to pick up the first down before the slow footed #90 reached him. Had Kelsay stood his ground and not bit on the fake, he could've easily had a tackle for a loss.

Kudos to jonramz. Nice post.

Lee Smith is an overlooked player. We're in spread open so often you forget he's even on the roster. I expect to see him as the in line TE in single back sets with Chandler the flex Y. Hopefully we use him more, hell of a blocker.

This would be a good thread for me to post some interesting (to me anyways) notes from my viewing of the Bills-Steelers preseason game.

In obvious response to the 3-4 blitzing scheme of Pittsburgh, the Bills in approximately 29 offensive plays in the first half, employed double tight ends 10 times and triple tight ends twice. So they were in multiple tight ends nearly half of all plays.

In addition, Lee Smith had 17 snaps compared to Scott Chandler who had about 12. While we all know Chandler is the superior receiver, Smith is virtually an extra offensive tackle in the game. Chandler, in spite of working with new TE Coach Pete Metzelaars, still appears to be a below average blocker to me. He really struggles to block.

On a related note, if you recall, there were two times this preseason when Gailey said that running the ball would be a point of emphasis for this team.

I think especially against teams like the Steelers and Jets, the Bills will employ quite a bit of double tight end. When they do this and go to a "heavy set" with CMac in the game, they can run the ball very effectively.

I believe that those who think the Bills run game can only be successful by spreading out the defense will need to revise this opinion. There were a few plays in the Bills-Steelers where Cordy Glenn dominated Brett Keisel, blowing him off the line of scrimmage.

I believe (hope?) that Gailey will surprise this year with much greater offensive balance.

Recall that he has coached run-heavy offenses in the past (Pittsburgh, Kansas City).

If memory serves, the Jets rushed for over 200 yards in both games against us last year.

To me, this game comes down to "can we stop the run?" Must force Sanchez into third and longs. I don't think he will beat a lot of teams that way.

I'm not making an excuse for Kelsay who could be better on those plays, but in fairness his read is not the QB. It's the end man on the LOS and if he pulls, Kelsay's first move has to be with him. Unfortunately, Kelsay lacks the elite athletic ability to recover against quicker QBs, RBs, or WRs that may be coming around end.

GO BILLS!!!