Looks like Thigpen is staying...

bills1960

Agreed. Too soon for TJax. If something crazy happens and Fitz gets dinged in the opener, we need someone who can at least call the plays. But once TJ is ready, TT is gone, I hope.

Thigpen knows the offense. You can't leave your team exposed to an injury to Fitz. This makes sense for September.

it's not the cash, it's the cap space - i'd rather see it devoted to retaining core young players then keeping a journeyman QB on the roster when he has proven time and time again he cannot perform......especially when nix just over a month ago was preaching about how "we can't afford to keep everyone" - which of course you can't if you choose to waste cap space, which they are choosing to do with moves like this

saving 1.5 million dollars - while wasting 1 million for 2 or 3 games......poor spin.......bills have wasted more then enough money on thipen (and even they admitted that with the jackson trade), time to cut the losses

On the contrary, cap space is totally irrelevant at this point as Bills are healthy under the cap even with TTs big salary. Cutting him would be meaningless from a cap perspective. Cutting him is serious from a cash standpoint though, because Littman needs to sign off paying a waste of a roster spot a guaranteed $2.5 million for one weeks work.

it's not the cash, it's the cap space - i'd rather see it devoted to retaining core young players then keeping a journeyman QB on the roster when he has proven time and time again he cannot perform......especially when nix just over a month ago was preaching about how "we can't afford to keep everyone" - which of course you can't if you choose to waste cap space, which they are choosing to do with moves like this

saving 1.5 million dollars - while wasting 1 million for 2 or 3 games......poor spin.......bills have wasted more then enough money on thipen (and even they admitted that with the jackson trade), time to cut the losses

What are you suggesting they do? IMO they don't want to keep him at all, they are just worried that going into game one against a division rival it's too big a risk to not have a QB that knows the playbook if Fitz gets hurt. Another reason not to cut him now is they may very well find that a week from now Jackson is ready, but since he has only practiced one day before today there is no way of knowing it. Plus, they woulldnt be in this position at all if Young didnt completely tank on Saturday or if Russell Wilson wasnt named the starter a week ago. That is the first time that Jackson became available in a trade. It wasnt like they were asleep at the wheel. Until Wilson was named the starter they couldnt have got Jackson for a 7th rounder.

you're assuming he's cut.......i'm not, i think he'll make it to opening day at 2.5M and bank that for a couple games worth of backup duty

even if he is cut, to resign him for at even the vet min is a waste of cash as it will be guaranteed once he's on the opening day roster.......would rather roll the dice with jackson for game one and then sign another QB the next day when the salary isn't guaranteed any longer.......this is a silly, wasteful strategy

Frankly, if we cut him we cut him and save a few bucks this year like you want but its not enough to make an impact.

Edited by NoSaint

On the contrary, cap space is totally irrelevant at this point as Bills are healthy under the cap even with TTs big salary. Cutting him would be meaningless from a cap perspective. Cutting him is serious from a cash standpoint though, because Littman needs to sign off paying a waste of a roster spot a guaranteed $2.5 million for one weeks work.

cap space is never irrelvant or meaningless...........it can be used for extensions, taking larger chunks of signing bonus amortization, or, failing that, rolled into future years......good teams maximize their cap space year after year, they don't waste it

cap space is never irrelvant or meaningless...........it can be used for extensions, taking larger chunks of signing bonus amortization, or, failing that, rolled into future years......good teams maximize their cap space year after year, they don't waste it

2m is a tiny portion ultimately. If fitz gets hurt week 1, you'd really feel dumb making this a cap choice.

Why arent you applauding the incredibly shrewd move of cutting of Dwan Edwards then, which saved about 3 mil of cap space.

Why arent you applauding the incredibly shrewd move of cutting of Dwan Edwards then, which saved about 3 mil of cap space.

actually it's 4M and i do applaud it......in fact i suggested on this board back in the spring as soon as they signed williams/anderson

We have 3 Fas to keep this upcoming season, most likely going to see a few FAs next offseason as well. It is best to clear out the cap space now and take the hit this season. I actually wanted us to keep Dwan, but for $4.375 mill as a back-up playing out of position, just a waste. TT at $2.5 million for a few weeks is a waste as well. I understand the need to have him as backup right now, but that becomes a lot for a 3rd stringer. If we keep him that is a nice chunk of cash for a couple weeks. I either expect a release and resign or a renogitation.

Thigpen knows the offense. You can't leave your team exposed to an injury to Fitz. This makes sense for September.

Then why didn't they play him when Fitz busted his ribs? This is a clear-cut case of rampant favoritism and sentimentality by the HC and GM. If you needed proof that Buddy and Chan's best days are behind them, look no further.

I just watched my Tivo'd Bills v. Lions game. Where Thigpen played a lot.

I noticed two things about him.

First, he always always seems to find the open receiver. He doesnt make dumb reads. And when I say "find" I mean "gets the ball out of his hands in the general direction to a guy who is actually (nfl) open."

Second, his accuracy is pretty inconsistent. Sometimes on target. Sometimes high or leading too far. Sometimes bounce-passing it. Sometimes sending a weather balloon.

So he seems to really have this offense down cold. Which is good. And he can read an NFL defense. Which is good. And he aint afraid to trust his reads. Which is good. But after several years in the league, he should be more accurate. In sum, considering the quality of many starters in the nfl, and the poor quality of backups, he aint bad.

Edited by maddenboy

I don't think it matters at all if he "knows" the offense - we are really stuck until Tavaris is ready to go. Putting Thigpen in would be a disaster so we should just cut him now. Tavaris not knowing the offense can't really be that much worse than having to play him at all.

Depending on how fast Tavaris Jackson assimilates the offense, how quickly Brad Smith's injury heals, and who's available on the waiver wire (QB and otherwise), TT may not even remain on the roster until opening day.

Folks get soooo worked up about these things - just relax, and let it all happen :mellow:

Depending on how fast Tavaris Jackson assimilates the offense, how quickly Brad Smith's injury heals, and who's available on the waiver wire (QB and otherwise), TT may not even remain on the roster until opening day.

Folks get soooo worked up about these things - just relax, and let it all happen :mellow:

This