Have you adjusted your expectations based on preseason?

zow2

No.

Pre-season performance does not predict regular season performance. That’s a fact. It amazes me that every year some long time fans make the mistake of reading too much into preseason games. Media “experts” too. During the Bills’ superbowl run, they always looked a mess in pre-season. And the ultimate recent example: The 2008 Lions...4-0 in preseason; 0-16 when it counted.

This Bills team has enough tools to compete in every game. The difference between 6 wins and 12 wins will be how well the units come together as a team, how well the O and D systems function and how hard they fight in the 4th quarter of close games.

My prediction is 10 or 11 wins.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Preseason is pretty meaningless with the exception of evaluating reserve talent.

My expectations for the first game that counts are high, however. I expect a demolition of the Jets similar to the demolition of the Chiefs last year.

For those who are unsettled by this preseason, I'd say go back and watch the first game of last season. What you saw is the well oiled machine that was not evident in the 2011 preseason. You saw the Chiefs having no idea on what the Bills were going to do.

Why? Gailey provided nothing to the Chiefs in preseason. No game film on schemes or tendancies. Zip.

This year we have that same advantage along with improved defensive talent so we don't spot the oppossing teams 21 points.

My god, lets break down your schedule:

Jets -- tough games BUT you should be able to split with them but I will mark as 2 TOUGH GAMES

Phins -- HE HE should be 2 easy wins this team couldnt beat USC.

Pats -- I am a Pats fan and since they are reighning AFCE Champs 2 TOUGH GAMES

Texans -- Best team last yr bar none in the AFC Tough Game

49ers -- Great D shaky O Tough Game

Browns -- EASY Game

Chiefs -- Avg team should be a a W

Cardinals - No QB decent D should be a W

Titans -- Avg team but should be a W

Colts -- Full rebuld mode should be easy W

Jags -- should be easy W

Rams -- awful team should be a W

SeaHawks -- Awful team should be a W

At WORSE this team should be 10-6. And I am a Pats fan! And who made your schedule facing Pats then Texans one part and 49ers and Pats another time.. talk about brutal!

Edited by PatsFanNH

While we didnt look great....i think avoiding injuries was the real game plan this preseason!

This^^^ You see injuries around the league, although I would have liked to have seen a bit more running, Chan isn't going to let FJ or CJ get injured in a preseason game. They are way to valuable for that.

I would add that working on fundamentals was part of it. Gailey and co are very learn to walk before you run and he has a tendancy not to worry about the win, it is a chance to evaluate players and work on aspects of the game against live competetion. The WRs are now able to adjust their routes based off of the D and they have to be on the same page as the QB. We are back to the 43, so it has beeen a very bland, basic D. With the OL we have Urbik playing C, Reinhart starting and a rookie (Glenn) at LT.

That being said, I did hope for the starting offense to look better against the Steelers, I missed the first half so I am going on words of others and what I have read from reputable sources. It is the preseason, no need to worry until the bullets start flying. I am not expecting a KC type win against the Jets. I said 10-6 before and I am sticking by that...

My god, lets break down your schedule:

Jets -- tough games BUT you should be able to split with them but I will mark as 2 TOUGH GAMES

Phins -- HE HE should be 2 easy wins this team couldnt beat USC.

Pats -- I am a Pats fan and since they are reighning AFCE Champs 2 TOUGH GAMES

Texans -- Best team last yr bar none in the AFC Tough Game

49ers -- Great D shaky O Tough Game

Browns -- EASY Game

Chiefs -- Avg team should be a a W

Cardinals - No QB decent D should be a W

Titans -- Avg team but should be a W

Colts -- Full rebuld mode should be easy W

Jags -- should be easy W

Rams -- awful team should be a W

SeaHawks -- Awful team should be a W

At WORSE this team should be 10-6. And I am a Pats fan!

That pretty much how I broke it down. It's an easy schedule; if they can go 3-3 in the division get by a couple of the evenly matched teams like TN and KC, they should be able to get to 10 wins.

I can think of 100 million reasons as to why the Bills should be much much better then last season :D George Edwards is gone after 2 years of worse then Jauron and his Tampon 2! The defense will get in sync, and about 4 guys from the first string should make the pro bowl.

The Patriots have a crap O line and should be ripe to rape Brady, at least one win.

The Dolphins are gonna be a bad team this year, a complete new coaching staff, no Mike Nolan on D. No Brandon Marshall on O. A rookie QB that will be learning as he goes. sweep

The Jets don't have a RT and their QB's have been flopping around more then the fish at the Fulton fish market. sweep

If Gailey can get the offense working this team stands a real chance to win the division this year

The Patriots have a crap O line and should be ripe to rape Brady, at least one win.

Dont read to heavy into the preseason the Pats have NOT had all 5 starters out there at one time yet.. But will by week 1.. although that is a weak spot right now.

yes i have adjusted my expectations

the d-line looks every bit as nasty as advertised

but during the offseason i kind of forgot how marginal fitzpatrick was and now after seeing him back out there a bit i am reminded of the truth

he's not the worst starting qb out there dont get me wrong but he's clearly in the lower half of the league among starting qbs and right now he's a big limiting factor for the franchise

i still think the bills will be improved and compete for a playoff spot

Edited by Boludo

Yes, I now expect approximately 99% of this board to be completely irrational, whereas previously I expected that number to be in the mid 80's.

lol perfect

i could not care less about preseason results. just thrilled theres been no injuries of note

No. I got beat up when I admired the front four "but that long Pitt drive" But they looked like the force we hoped they would be.

Jackson is back in old form. [huge factor.]

With a MVP RB, rock solid DL no ajustments at all . If anything up.

Yea, Fred looked pretty scary out there. I suspect he won't touch the ball until 9/9. Thats a good thing. 100+ yard running should be the norm for him this year.

I do agree with the sentiment that management is going for an "injury free" preseason...or as best as they can. I also agree that the Bills are clearly working on the pass game and probably hoping the Jets get sucked in to some extent thinking the Bills are gonna go five-wide all day on Sept. 9th. I suspect Chan will be much more balanced in his play calling vs NY. So that being said, we are clearly not as bad as the Minnesota and Steelers game results showed...but nowhere near the "dominant" team i was wearing my rose colored glasses for. Every game...Miami, Jax and St. Louis included..is gonna be a dog fight. To think otherwise would be ignorant.