Cause for Concern

phillyrich

Obviously disappointed with how the Bills D did not respond like a potential top 5 D would in stuffing the Steelers within their own 2 yard line under 2 minutes. Completely inexcusable. Extremely concerning.

For most of the first half, yes the D played well. However:

Tackling was average to less than average. Why is Mario diving trying to tackle the RB instead of manning up and going shoulder to shoulder? To add to that, our LB's are giving me heart burn.

Pittsburgh's Big Backs had the ability to move the pile forward, not by chunks, but still move forward.

Opposing WR Speed may be a serious issue for our DB's. Wow is Pittsburgh's fleet of Wide Receivers fast, or what?

I will have more in the next couple days. However, I am not seeing the steps forward as a team I thought I would have saw by now. This team has a lot of work to do. Hopefully, they can clean things up before it is to late.

Thank goodness the Jets are not looking good either.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Concerns? Yeah just a few:

1) Fitz. Looks like the same QB we saw the second half of last season. Inaccurate, confused by a 3-4 D, flustered when pressured. The difference between Fitz and a great QB like Big Ben is stark.

2) Our vaulted D line was simply not a factor on the last drive of the half. Wannstache was schooled by LeBeau.

3) Aaron Williams is not the answer at corner. Speed receivers will eat him alive.

4) Oline better learn to handle a blitz or Vince Young will be playing a plenty.

it seems as though this team has a lot of talent, they just have not completely come together yet.the biggest problem i had with fitz last night was that he looked really out of rhythm with his recievers, but he did have some zip on the ball. and the defense, imo, looks like they need more time together. i think they will get better as the season goes.

Edited by swnybillsfan

Guys like Mario go for the legs because guys fall to the ground when their legs are taken out. Guys push piles when they are hit in the shoulders and still have the ability to churn their legs for more yards...

Yeah that drive was not good for the Bills D. It shouldn't have happened. I don't think it will again. I think they needed to have it happen in order to learn from it.

Williams ran a 4.55 at the combine, Gilmore ran a 4.40 (Unofficial). I think we'll be fine in terms of speed WRs.

The thing that we as fans do not know is the assignments of the players. Was it A. Williams getting beat, or was it Byrd/Wilson being late? Were in a 2-deep and Pittsburgh ran a 2-deep beater? We don't know these things.

2) Our vaulted D line was simply not a factor on the last drive of the half. Wannstache was schooled by LeBeau.

Can you tell me the four players who were on the line for the majority of that drive?

what does 'vaulted' mean in this context?

Edited by jeremy2020

Yes, the cause for concern is that the same weaknesses we saw last year continue to plague this team. Gilmore looked pretty good for a rookie, but Williams was not up to the task. Receivers were continually getting a step on him very quickly, which led to some success on short drops as the first half went on. Yea, the names are different, but once again the defense doesn't have good enough corners.

The tackling was bad. Just bad. Lots of yards after first contact, lots of poor form (shoulder blocks, etc) not wrapping people up.

The o-line was poor. Freddy has some success when he was able to get outside, but there wasn't much push and the pass protection was atrocious, and that's probably a generous assessment. Lots of hands free to knock down passes. The couple of screens they tried in the first half were not well blocked (one in particular to FJ should have been big but the linemen were not positioned well). Poor recognition and getting beaten physically at every spot on the line. Ugly.

Fitz was not very accurate. I think the hands in his face was a factor, as he didn't make many attempts over the middle. He was out of sync with SJ, but he definitely wasn't putting it where he wanted to.

Receivers unable to get open. You see that little bit of space Steeler receivers were able to get themselves? This team isn't able to do that with any consistency. SJ can do it sometimes, which is all you can ask, but otherwise they are forced to find ways to get a mismatch-like Polamalu on Nelson on the td. Those aren't that easy to come by against good/well-coached teams. This team badly needs a better receiving corps. Graham is giving me some hope that he might be able to be that type of guy, and Nelson used wisely can be good. Still need more athelticism and ability at the spot.

Lack of rushes. Possibly by design, but again, as with each of these issues, something we saw last year.

Terrible depth. This is where Nix's talent should be shining through. Our backups should be showing much better than they have been. There will be injuries. Outside of a couple of defensive linemen this team's depth sucks. Absolutely sucks. Injuries will absolutely happen, and these guys will be exposed again.

Team is better, but not that much. I'd bet against them having a tear on offense like they did early last year. 7-9 or 8-8.

What I don't understand (and this could be a function of me not actually seeing the game but listening on the WGR feed) ... how can th D dominate Pit for the first 28.5 minutes of the game not allowing them to put together a decent drive .... and totally suck the last 1,5 minutes? It's not like Pit got one or two "luckey plays", they sounded like they methodically chunked down the field at will. It was almost like the call came down from the booth ... "OK guys we've seen what we wanted to see, bring it back to the barn, just don't get yourself hurt this last series.

Also on Offense it almost seemed that they were "feeding" the ball to Steevie, like he and Fitz were trying to work something out (and failing). It just didn't seem they were making an attempt to spread the ball around. If I were the king of the Bills (which I'm not) I would have been targeting everybody except Stevie trying to figure out which WR I'm keeping on the roster.

I know it's only preseason so I don't get too high or too low after each game ... but more than one thing this preseason has me scratching my head.

So for you guys and gals who actually watched the game;

Was the D as dominating as they sounded the first 28 minutes ... or was Pit just inept ... did it look like the D "let up" the last 1.5 minutes, or is that who we really are?

Did Stevie get an inordinate number of "targets" the first half?

Edited by macaroni

Can you tell me the four players who were on the line for the majority of that drive?

There seems to be a myth on this board that the backup defensive line played most of that drive. They did not. And I think in that context the poster meant vaulted as in locked up, buried. Because that's what they were on that drive. Great for most of the half, but definitely locked in the vault on that drive.

I can, it was Williams, Williams, Dareus and Kelsey for the majority of that drive. 66 yards of it to be exact. They were in for the first plays near the goal line, gave up a big third down conversion, gave up another big chunk of yards all the way to the Bills 41, then they were subbed out for 3 plays and 30 yards where they came back in on the 11 yard line and gave up the TD after just a few more plays.

What I don't understand (and this could be a function of me not actually seeing the game but listening on the WGR feed) ... how can th D dominate Pit for the first 28.5 minutes of the game not allowing them to put together a decent drive .... and totally suck the last 1,5 minutes? It's not like Pit got one or two "luckey plays", they sounded like they methodically chunked down the field at will. It was almost like the call came down from the booth ... "OK guys we've seen what we wanted to see, bring it back to the barn, just get yourself hurt this last series.

Also on Offense it almost seemed that they were "feeding" the ball to Steevie, like he and Fitz were trying to work something out (and failing). It just didn't seem they were making an attempt to spread the ball around. If I were the king of the Bills (which I'm not) I would have been targeting everybody except Stevie trying to figure out which WR I'm keeping on the roster.

I know it's only preseason so I don't get too high or too low after each game ... but more than one thing this preseason has me scratching my head.

So for you guys and gals who actually watched the game;

Was the D as dominating as they sounded the first 28 minutes ... or was Pit just inept ... did it look like the D "let up" the last 1.5 minutes, or is that who we really are?

Did Stevie get an inordinate number of "targets" the first half?

The defense played soft all night on distance downs. It bit them big time on that drive. Add to that a little bit of adversity (as mentioned by Chan at halftime), a good qb, and bingo you get a td.

Our starters and second string when the starters were "gassed", just like we'll see in the regular season. We put on zero pressure on Ben when it mattered and he ate us alive. Make up any excuse you want but we needed a blitz as our front four couldn't do it alone. DC cot schooled.

There seems to be a myth on this board that the backup defensive line played most of that drive. They did not. And I think in that context the poster meant vaulted as in locked up, buried. Because that's what they were on that drive. Great for most of the half, but definitely locked in the vault on that drive.

I think he meant vaunted D.

I’ve been dating this woman (Buffalo Bills) for a very long time. Once, a long time ago, our relationship reached near bliss (early 90’s), but then, because of all her flaws, it went stale for awhile (Since Music City Miracle), but I just couldn’t get myself to break up with her…so we slumbered along. Then recently (Bills off-season), she spent a lot of money & got a facelift & lypo suction (Mario, Anderson, etc)…man she looked great! So I decided to marry her this year! I felt it was time! But now, as the wedding approaches (Bills 2012 season), I have this sinking feeling…I am realizing that, despite the money spent & the facelift, she’s the same old B word!

1) Fitz. Looks like the same QB we saw the second half of last season. Inaccurate, confused by a 3-4 D, flustered when pressured. The difference between Fitz and a great QB like Big Ben is stark.

3) Aaron Williams is not the answer at corner. Speed receivers will eat him alive.

4) Oline better learn to handle a blitz or Vince Young will be playing a plenty.

5) CJ Spiller. Is he really averaging 1.2 yards per carry, and now a fumble? Why don't they take FJ out? Why risk injury? Unless they are afraid that Spiller can't block and they don't want Fitz to get killed. In any event, it would seem fair to say that Spiller needs more reps. Or, is he now a 3rd string back?

I’ve been dating this woman (Buffalo Bills) for a very long time. Once, a long time ago, our relationship reached near bliss (early 90’s), but then, because of all her flaws, it went stale for awhile (Since Music City Miracle), but I just couldn’t get myself to break up with her…so we slumbered along. Then recently (Bills off-season), she spent a lot of money & got a facelift & lypo suction (Mario, Anderson, etc)…man she looked great! So I decided to marry her this year! I felt it was time! But now, as the wedding approaches (Bills 2012 season), I have this sinking feeling…I am realizing that, despite the money spent & the facelift, she’s the same old B word!

nice story, a little depressing, but nicely done. i tend to think of the buffalo bills as my kids. all i ask is that they give me their best effort and do things the right way and never give up. i know they can't win them all and i know that there will be tough times, but they're my kids and i will always love them. having said that, if they win the championship i will be a very proud, and probably very annoying papa. and if they marry into the los angeles or toronto families, they are disowned!

I started cracking up when I read this. Ask me after week 3 or 4 if we're the same old let down of a team though because I think we are improved this year. IMO best team we have fielded since 2000 or before

Edited by LoyalToTheEnd

Fitz was Fitz.

The pass by Ben R on 3rd down was perfect. I'm amazed that Barnett's coverage was as good as it was that far down field. As close to an indefensible completion as you'll ever see.

The mistake later in the drive was in replacing the entire d-line at once. I'm not sure how often, if at all we'll see that in the regular season. I think that they were thinking 'this is our last series, let's end it with a safety or a stop on 3rd down.' When that didn't happen everyone was gassed and also deflated. Putting in the second d-line rotation didn't do us any good there.

I was happy with the defensive game plan and like the way DW called the game. Not sure how he got schooled by DL, they have different philosophies and I thought each 1st team defense played well.

I thought Williams was OK. Not great, but OK. Seriously though...I wouldn't mind seeing McKelvin get one more shot on the outside. He's had a good preseason. Maybe flip the two, Williams to the slot.

I thought the o-line did a decent job in the first half.

What I didn't like, again, was the pass/run ratio in the first half. I don't have the stats but it was probably close to 2 passes for every 1 run. I guess we'll just have to get used to this with Chan.

Moorman was incredible again.

Choice had a good game.

Wood played decent.

Thought Sheppard finally showed up, Morrison too had some nice plays.