Vince Young, What do you make of it?

BillsLux

Young flat out sucked tonight. Really, really bad. When the Bills signed Thigpen last year I was confident that he was an adequate back-up, and I knew that Gailey loved him. I even gave him a pass when he looked like **** last year in limited time. But all indications from practice and what we have seen in preseason this year was that he was not getting it done. And the thing about guys like Thigpen is, they are never going to wow you with physical talent, or stats, or great plays, they are just going to do a better than expected job of getting first downs and moving the ball. If he is not even going to do that, which he hasn't, even in practice, he is worthless.

Vince Young, on the other hand, is the guy who can look like **** and then make one spectacular play or run. He gives you a chance. Neither of them look like they should be a #3 QB right now let alone a #2. But if Fitz went down for a half, VY still gives you a better chance to win the game that Thigpen. If Fitz went down for the year, VY would still give you a better chance of salvaging the season than Thigpen. I had confidence in Thigpen from his performance at KC and even in Miami, even though he wasn't great. That confidence is gone. And I think his is, too.

VY showed promise last week. He sucked ass this week (although he wasnt given much help). He's still the better option, though not a good one.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vince Young is garbage... that is all. He started games last year for the Eagles and was atrocious. Watch those games or ask Phily fans.. seriously you guys need to temper your expectations for him. He is terrible. The only guy worse is Thigpen..

VY couldn't look less interested if he was trying to play while in a coma. His body language says it all. He just looks like he'd rather be anywhere else at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

Look, the guy has been through alot.

He left Tennessee under a hail of bullets. Now, he's in a new town, trying to learn a new offense, while fighting for his life against a guy who catches footballs with his FACE.

I imagine he's trying to keep himself balanced. Not to high or too low. What's the point of getting pumped about the team if you can be waived at any time?

I've had my doubts about the guy, but after watching him play, I think he can still be a difference maker. -I'm pulling for VY to make the final roster.

Edited by #34fan

+1. That's been his problem ever since he was benched by Fisher.

New York baseball fans still occasionally refer to "Ed Whitson disease", which describes players who just don't have the mental strength to perform under the harsh glare in New York, especially for the Yankees (recent example: AJ Burnett).

To me, Young is an Ed Whitson sufferer and the problem is that in the NFL, every team is the Yankees. There are no backwater outposts in the NFL to hide (and if there are, Buffalo is one of them). So if a guy can't play under pressure and with criticism, he can't play effectively in the NFL.

Edited by KD in CT

i saw a few good throws by young, and his recievers dropped those. i saw some really bad passes, a few questionable decisions where you might have thought a person with that athletic ability could have tucked the ball and run. and i saw some really weird throwing motion/body language. the only thing i got from the second team offense was that vy looked bad and possibly depressed or disinterested. and that the only players i noticed doing anything at all were choice and naaman. i'm really liking what i see out of choice, and how can you not love naaman? i hope there is a spot for him on this team.

New York baseball fans still occasionally refer to "Ed Whitson disease", which describes players who just don't have the mental strength to perform under the harsh glare in New York, especially for the Yankees (recent example: AJ Burnett).

To me, Young is an Ed Whitson sufferer and the problem is that in the NFL, every team is the Yankees. There are no backwater outposts in the NFL to hide (and if there are, Buffalo is one of them). So if a guy can't play under pressure and with criticism, he can't play effectively in the NFL.

That is a very accurate comparison, though I am sure that Jeff Fisher and Vince Young didn't beat each other into oblivion.

I don't know how a guy can go from playing so soundly as Philly's back up a year ago to this. Given he wasn't a world beater there for sure but he was as good as a back up could be for the most part, he kept them in the playoff contention up until the final week. I'm willing to give him some time to master the playbook. Luckily, he's not our starter so we have the ability to give him that kind of time.

:huh:

The Eagles were 1-2 in the games Young started and he threw 9 INTs to 4 TDs. If that is "playing soundly" then is there any way to play poorly? Not only that, but it was Michael Vick that led the Eagles on their 4 game December winning streak to even out their record at 8-8 after the teams disastrous start all but eliminated them from the playoffs. The one silver lining in it all is that Young did lead a win against the eventual Super Bowl champs in his first start.

http://www.pro-footb...ms/phi/2011.htm

Absolutely ridiculous. VY almost single handedly won the BCS against the highly touted and favored USC team. Other than the super bowl that game probably has more pressure than any other in football.

Absolutely ridiculous. VY almost single handedly won the BCS against the highly touted and favored USC team. Other than the super bowl that game probably has more pressure than any other in football.

You are clueless. College and pros are in a completely different universe.

The third quarter he had some moments, then with the O line getting pushed around he lost his composure, then the drops. One by Easily you could easily see he was super pissed at him.

Its gotta be tough playing with with the backups getting beat and sucking.

That being said we are in as much trouble as we were last year with backup QB. and that aint good!

I haven't seen the Pittsburgh game yet, only the highlights on ESPN, but from what I heard on WGR, it sounds like Young was lacking zip on his passes. I thought Young had a strong arm so what is that all about? Perhaps the receivers aren't used to having any zip on the balls so they asked Young to lighten up?

I haven't seen the Pittsburgh game yet, only the highlights on ESPN, but from what I heard on WGR, it sounds like Young was lacking zip on his passes. I thought Young had a strong arm so what is that all about? Perhaps the receivers aren't used to having any zip on the balls so they asked Young to lighten up?

The highlights on ESPN essentially were to make fun of the Bills and slurp Big Ben. I know the final score was a rout but that's not always the truth in preseason.

Young's velocity looked fine. He just has trouble adjusting his touch, like he's thinking about it as he releases. Standard practice of a QB not trusting what he's doing enough.