Roosevelt vs Martin (vs Easley)

I've got Stevie, Donald Jones, David Nelson, TJ Graham, and Derek Hagan making the team. Kamar Aiken, Derek Session, and David Clowney as early cuts. Don't know what to call Brad Smith.

For that final WR spot I think these 3 are the ones with a shot, and Easley's shot is pretty outside.

Personally, I much prefer Roosevelt as a WR. He gets open and catches the ball. Ruvell Martin is a liability on the offense, and I wonder why Fitz EVER targets him. However, I believe they look at Martin as more of a special teams guy. I gotta admit, he's not bad as a gunner.

I still like the *idea* of Easley's tangibles, but with injuries the past 2 years and an inconsistent pre-season thus far I'm not sure he's done enough to make the squad.

Overall I hope Roosevelt hangs on but if I were to bet I'd say they keep Martin. I was hopeful when Roosevelt was fielding punts in preseason game 1, but then I saw TJ Graham make people miss in game 2 and he's gotta be the guy there.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Hagan was an outstanding gunner/special teams players on his previous teams.

If he's better than Martin from an offensive standpoint, I think he's in the mix.

Oh I've already got him making the team.

Nice topic. It's been hammered so much this offseason but with the 3rd and most important pre season game coming up, it really is important to be paying attention this week. There will be some offensive plays in 5 wides this week where everyone gets a chance to go up against quality defenders. We all need to be watching carefully.

Personally I thought Aiken was in the mix. Most people here disagree. I'll take that more as me not having seen enough. The numbers are very much against me here. For the rest of your list, I think your right. I'm on the same fence about Roosevelt vs Martin. It's a very solid WR prospect vs a very good STer IMO. Part of me really wants Roosevelt but if Martin is really that good (which I think he is) then it's really tough not to take him. It's almost a given that DeHaven will get some toys and this is a call that he probably makes. I still hope it's the hometown guy tho.

Roosevelt looks to be a better contributer to our passing game than Martin and seems to have good chemistry with Fitzpatrick. It looked like Hagan had a spot wrapped up, but I haven't seen any support for this in the last couple weeks (and who knows with the closed practices). If he's regressing, he could be on the bubble. I think the last PS games are very important to all of these guys, fighting for 1 or 2 open positions.

I continue to think the coaches like Martin more than Roosevelt, but can't figure out why. I'd be disappointed if he makes it over Naaman, and upset if he's kept over NR and Hagan.

I had very high hopes for Aiken and Easley coming into the year, but see no evidence either is close to being kept. I predict they try to keep Aiken on the PS and simply part ways with Easley.

I continue to think the coaches like Martin more than Roosevelt, but can't figure out why. I'd be disappointed if he makes it over Naaman, and upset if he's kept over NR and Hagan.

Martin contributes to special teams, which if a player is going to be kept as the 6th or 7th WR I think it's important that he does. Edited by Carey Bender

Yesterday on WGR Joe B stated that he wouldn't be surprised if they keep only 5 WRs and Brad Smith as their 6th. Meaning all three get cut.

I agree with this and would guess we keep 5, not 6. The roster is tight and there are other players that can catch for us (Smith, TEs, RB/HB/FB).

Like the OP I'd guess Stevie, Donald Jones, David Nelson, TJ Graham, and Derek Hagan. But, if Hagan is slumping, I could see Martin or Roosevelt in his place.

This article from two weeks ago seems to be hitting all the same points we are in this thread:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article989881.ece

Asked what he thought of Roosevelt after a recent practice, Ryan Fitzpatrick had a two-word response: "The Man."

"All he does is get open and catch the ball; that's it," Fitzpatrick said. "He's always in the right spot at the right time. You always know what you're going to get from him. He's just Mr. Reliable."

One factor that has hindered Roosevelt's bid for a roster spot to open the season in past years was the team didn't use him on special teams.

Roosevelt bulked up a bit in the offseason and hopes his increased strength will help him make some special teams plays. He's up 10 pounds from the end of last season.

"I feel good with the weight I've put on, and I've definitely gotten a lot stronger working with the strength and conditioning coach," Roosevelt said. "Coach [Eric] Ciano helps me out a lot in building more muscle and building speed."

"I'm doing all special teams," Roosevelt said. "I know when games start, that's the big thing. I've talked to coaches, and they've stressed it."

I think Martin must have pictures of someone. He's the worst WR on the roster by far. ST are important, but in today's NFL, I think you have to be good at your position as well. I think tonight is VERY important to answer this question. I was looking at defense. I'm more interested in what they do with all those LB/DEs.

Great topic, Jay.

I am not even going to belabor this point. I know special teams is very important, but how many (or few) guys in this league can really catch the ball well?

I just cringed during last seaon when Martin would drop passes on more than a couple of occasions when he honestly had both hands on the ball.

Special teams is important, but I don't think it is "a third of the game" as some make it out. I also sort of agree with the Potter argument made earlier this week.

...I'll take Roosevelt.

I've got Stevie, Donald Jones, David Nelson, TJ Graham, and Derek Hagan making the team. Kamar Aiken, Derek Session, and David Clowney as early cuts. Don't know what to call Brad Smith.

For that final WR spot I think these 3 are the ones with a shot, and Easley's shot is pretty outside.

Personally, I much prefer Roosevelt as a WR. He gets open and catches the ball. Ruvell Martin is a liability on the offense, and I wonder why Fitz EVER targets him. However, I believe they look at Martin as more of a special teams guy. I gotta admit, he's not bad as a gunner.

I still like the *idea* of Easley's tangibles, but with injuries the past 2 years and an inconsistent pre-season thus far I'm not sure he's done enough to make the squad.

Overall I hope Roosevelt hangs on but if I were to bet I'd say they keep Martin. I was hopeful when Roosevelt was fielding punts in preseason game 1, but then I saw TJ Graham make people miss in game 2 and he's gotta be the guy there.

I don't see any other WRs Making the team other than Roosevelt, 5 is alot, Roosevelt would be 6 in my book if they keep 6...

Still trying to figure out WHY some people thing it's a given that HAGAN makes the team. He's had his struggles the same as Martin and Easley. And usually at the depth spots you look for talent to develop/special teamers. All 3 (Hagan, Easley, Martin) play special teams with the edge going to Martin, he's an excellent gunner. But in the talent to develop I think Easley has more room to develop than either of the 7 year pros.

Saturday's game should give us a better idea though, with the extra game planning we should see who is where when they go 5 wide.

Still trying to figure out WHY some people thing it's a given that HAGAN makes the team.

Every practice I saw, Hagen looked very good in, even with the first team. He also looked good in the game against us when he was with the Raiders, and again for us when Stevie was benched against the pats*. At 6'2", 210 he's a big strong target.

I agree with this and would guess we keep 5, not 6. The roster is tight and there are other players that can catch for us (Smith, TEs, RB/HB/FB).

Like the OP I'd guess Stevie, Donald Jones, David Nelson, TJ Graham, and Derek Hagan. But, if Hagan is slumping, I could see Martin or Roosevelt in his place.

This article from two weeks ago seems to be hitting all the same points we are in this thread:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article989881.ece

im leaning this way more and more.

Oh I've already got him making the team.

If true that Hagan is an exceptional ST gunner would that then make Martin expendable, though, as Hagan has potentially better offensive upside? Obviously, they can keep them both for punt coverage, but if they want actual receivers then perhaps Martin loses out to Roosevelt or Easley.

Just a thought--- I've assumed Martin makes the team all along for his ST work.

If they keep any of the 3 I would guess Roosevelt. Easley has been a fan and organizational favorite for some reason since he joined the Bills and drew a paycheck for two years for watching games. He has been disappointing though on the field this year and he is most likey gone unless the team sees something in him that he hasn't shown on the field.

Edited by BuffBill

I think Martin must have pictures of someone. He's the worst WR on the roster by far. ST are important, but in today's NFL, I think you have to be good at your position as well. I think tonight is VERY important to answer this question. I was looking at defense. I'm more interested in what they do with all those LB/DEs.

I totally agree. Plus with Potter kicking off who cares who the gunners are for kickoffs? You still need good ones for punts but I'd rather have someone that's capable of playing the first 3 downs than one that's good on 4th down. And if he can make the catch on 3rd down then you don't even reach 4th.

I see Roosevelt as the least likely to be signed by any other team. He's small and not fast. His major value to the Bills is that he has been in the system for years. He does not bring that value to any other team. The Pats like small guys but they are always fast. Roosevelt is also fairly redundant to Jones who is also smallish (but not as small) and is also not fast. Roosevelt essentially expands the Bills roster to 54 players since he is un-signable by any other GM. He can be (and has been over and over) exposed to free agency whenever convenient for the Bills. Easley and Aiken with substantial upsides as big physical targets are much more likely to be signed by other teams.

I totally agree. Plus with Potter kicking off who cares who the gunners are for kickoffs? You still need good ones for punts but I'd rather have someone that's capable of playing the first 3 downs than one that's good on 4th down. And if he can make the catch on 3rd down then you don't even reach 4th.

If Roosevelt is the 6th or 7th WR then he's likely doing neither. Edited by Carey Bender