Seau brain was damaged (CTE), family sues NFL

dayman

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been enough examples over the years in multiple sports that brain damage has to be looked at as a real issue when it comes to violent/suicidal behavoir. There was also a serious look into how traumatic brain injury could trigger the onset of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) Once a real link is recognized by the NFL hopefully they'll do more to financially support the medical care of retired players.

Although where there is smoke there is not always fire, there is a lot of scrutiny and debate over concussion prevention and protocol in contact sports. Concussions are a real thing and if you are a parent with a kid in sports there are plenty of real reasons to have medical science push protective gear development.

Even at the junior football levels, and other organized youth leagues like FBU there was a lot of training and discussion this year around concussions and the proper gear. I love the sport and like to see it played hard and fast, but I don't want to see my kid or any other kid get permanently brain damaged playing it.

Most professionals in the field of concussion prevention agree that the current helmet testing standards that deal with linear stress (more akin to head-on collisions) provide no support for rotational stress (head gear hit at odd, off-center angles). A significant portion of concussions are caused by the later, but current helmet testing standards do not incorporate any protection against it - why?

It is not like the folks at Riddell, Schutt, or Zenith, etc... do not want to protect folks, but apparently testing or making claims beyond an approved testing protocol opens a company up to litigation. There are helmet inserts that have been developed that reduce rotational stress and likely the concussions they cause, but until the testing standards are updated to include rotational stress testing manufacturers will steer clear of them, but it is the push from health experts and the public that forces the progressive changes that not only protect our kids and favorite athletes, but the sport as well.

I don't want to see football turn into a game of two-hand touch, and if better protective equipment allows the game to be played the way it was meant to be played I am all for it.

The report released appears to include only a gross analysis, not the detailed microscopic analysis that will be done at the NIH to evaluate for chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

This.

Some players who have suicided have had clearly documented behavioral/memory changes indicative of CTE.

Seau may not have had these, and may have suffered from undiagnosed suicidal depression.

That doesn't mean CTE isn't real, or is a craze.

Edit: per This link and according to his family, he did in fact have documented behavioral changes identified with CTE, as well as microscopic changes consistent with same.

Edited by Hopeful

Regardless of why he Killed himself, he knew the risk, if your a cop, fire fighter, service in the military, work in a chemical plant you know there is a risk of getting hurt or dying

if you play sports there is no difference, you get hit the wrong way & your a vegetable, I am sorry Seau is dead but that the risk you take when you choose a dangerous profession

Regardless of why he Killed himself, he knew the risk, if your a cop, fire fighter, service in the military, work in a chemical plant you know there is a risk of getting hurt or dying

if you play sports there is no difference, you get hit the wrong way & your a vegetable, I am sorry Seau is dead but that the risk you take when you choose a dangerous profession

Remind me again how much seau knew about CTE, and how much it relates to him being aware he could be paralyzed?

Or why him being aware there was a risk even enters the conversation? I'm truly not sure the point your trying to make.

This.

Some players who have suicided have had clearly documented behavioral/memory changes indicative of CTE.

Seau may not have had these, and may have suffered from undiagnosed suicidal depression.

That doesn't mean CTE isn't real, or is a craze.

Edit: per This link and according to his family, he did in fact have documented behavioral changes identified with CTE, as well as microscopic changes consistent with same.

Saw an interview with some of his family that really makes me question how well people really knew him. I am sure he had a lot of friends, was a great fella and all, but it seemed like there may have been more then realized going on with him. I do not know if that has always been the case or something onset by CTE.

Also, where have you been!?

I have a question for the players, if doctors are just learning about concussions & the effects on the brain, How did the NFL know about the effects for decades

As I gather that can coexist-

Doctors: concussions cause brain damage. It's no good, we just don't know how bad.

Nfl: thanks for letting us know

Nfl doctor to players: it's all good guys

Edited by NoSaint

I have a question for the players, if doctors are just learning about concussions & the effects on the brain, How did the NFL know about the effects for decades

Great question.

There was some suppression of facts by the NFL's former concussion czar, Elliott Pellman. That played a role.

Also denial by players entered into it a bit also.

Then there are different classes of concussed players (and plaintiffs).

Guys in the 50's and 60's probably had no idea what the long term effects were when they "got their bell rung."

Today's player knowingly takes these risks. Between these two classes are a wide range of people somewhere in the middle.

Finally, NFL football is much more violent than ever before. So that's a factor too.

Although where there is smoke there is not always fire, there is a lot of scrutiny and debate over concussion prevention and protocol in contact sports. Concussions are a real thing and if you are a parent with a kid in sports there are plenty of real reasons to have medical science push protective gear development.

Even at the junior football levels, and other organized youth leagues like FBU there was a lot of training and discussion this year around concussions and the proper gear. I love the sport and like to see it played hard and fast, but I don't want to see my kid or any other kid get permanently brain damaged playing it.

Most professionals in the field of concussion prevention agree that the current helmet testing standards that deal with linear stress (more akin to head-on collisions) provide no support for rotational stress (head gear hit at odd, off-center angles). A significant portion of concussions are caused by the later, but current helmet testing standards do not incorporate any protection against it - why?

It is not like the folks at Riddell, Schutt, or Zenith, etc... do not want to protect folks, but apparently testing or making claims beyond an approved testing protocol opens a company up to litigation. There are helmet inserts that have been developed that reduce rotational stress and likely the concussions they cause, but until the testing standards are updated to include rotational stress testing manufacturers will steer clear of them, but it is the push from health experts and the public that forces the progressive changes that not only protect our kids and favorite athletes, but the sport as well.

I don't want to see football turn into a game of two-hand touch, and if better protective equipment allows the game to be played the way it was meant to be played I am all for it.

The problem isn't concussions anymore. It's the head hits of any kind. Blocking. Arm blows. Ground contact. The cumulative effect of the blows causes damage, and it can be serious. Parent shouldn't be letting kids play contact football. Way too dangerous long term consequences.