Bills Release Merriman!

He signed a two year deal for 10.5 million. His base salary for this year is 4 million and 3 million of that is guaranteed. Plus they already gave him a million or 1.5 at the beginning of this year. They save a total of 1 million for releasing him. Ultimately a terrible waste of money, but it was a risk they knew they were taking. I don't blame Nix too much for it.

EDIT: Btw, I got those figures off of Rotoworld right before I posted this, which is usually a very detailed, accurate source for contracts. Already they have taken down the contract details for him and just said he is a 2012 Free Agent.

Did it say when the $3 mil becomes guaranteed? A lot of times (and when this was signed everyone knew his injury problem) it won't become guaranteed until the regular season starts.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The issue is whether what part if any of the 4 million was guaranteed. Joe B was probably stating that's what his salary was. The Rotoworld site I went to this morning, which is very detailed and accurate on contracts, said 3 mil of the 4 million was guaranteed. It's possible they were wrong, but I have been looking at contracts on that place for several years and I never really saw anything they said that turned out not to be true. It probably happened, salaries are tough to get the real story on sometimes, but it's a VERY good source for contracts. And I think they're probably more accurate than Joe B on this one.

I don't know how much sense it would make if at all then if it wasn't mostly for the contract.

Come on. Every team in the league understands who Merriman's been the past 3 seasons. No team would trade a pick for him in their right mind. Not many teams gave him attention when WE did 2 seasons ago. He'd be lucky to get the same interest he did 2 years ago. He might now because he actually had the surgery. Plus this gives him the chance to sign on with anybody he chooses.

You're contradicting yourself... You're saying no team will give him interest like we did, but maybe now they will cuz he got surgery? Contradict much? My question again... Is he not worth a 5th or a 6th round pick?

Kinda surprising, but it isn't. It was a dumb signing, then resigning to begin with. So much for Buddy bringing in these players he has a history with-Merriman, Thigpen, etc. You have young players with more ability, less injuries and making way less money. Resigning him will go down as one of the worst moves in Bills history. Without the roids he was nothing.

You're contradicting yourself... You're saying no team will give him interest like we did, but maybe now they will cuz he got surgery? Contradict much? My question again... Is he not worth a 5th or a 6th round pick?

I guess kind of so. What I'm saying is is that it could go either way. He could get interest from teams if they trust his surgery went well. Or it could be less based on how much interest he received from teams last time he was released. I suppose contradictions happen everywhere don't they... Thus is the world of the uninformed fan that does not have inside sources.

Why is everyone shocked/surprised by this? He's come this far by name and reputation. What's he done for us the last 2 or 3 years? Nothing. I'm surprised we didn't release him earlier. Let him sign with the Pats and Jets. That's one less roster spot for someone they can keep that's healthy.

no, hes not. we were one of very few teams that filed claims when he was free on waivers. his value has only gone down since then.

Not surprised here....retention could also be an issue....even if he did well, he may very well be gone next year. A younger guy under contract for a couple of years makes sense in that context as well. And Buddy, keep rolling the dice.....some of these trys will work out. Merriman was a class act (here), a pro....it just didn't work out.

http://blogs.buffalo...e-merriman.html

How the Bills spent 9.77 mill on Merriman

Merriman would've been due a base salary of $4 million for this season, with $3 million of that guaranteed if he had been released before the season began because of injury or salary-cap reasons.

So the 3 million rotoworld mentioned is guaranteed but not for skill. So they're free of it without paying him.

And cap wise, they save around 5 million all being told, so that's not bad at all.

Per Jay Glazer

Jay Glazer@JayGlazer

Bills have informed Shawne Merriman that they are releasing him today.

Full story:

http://www.buffalobi...ee-659b2f4e96c4

This actually doesn't surprise me at all. I thought he looked pretty weak in the last pre-season game, and hecommands too high a salary to be a low quality out of position backup. Too bad, I was routing for him to regain form, I just don't see it happening. Also too bad that we gave him all that guaranteed money...

Kelsay on the other hand has looked very good all pre-season. He is a good compliment to the pure pass rushers like Williams and Anderson...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Now that would be one 'surprising' vet cut that I'd agree with at this point, especially with Young on the roster.

re: brad smith

can Young play WR? does he return kicks too? how about making tackles on special teams? 'cause if he does, I agree with what you wrote.

Aside from being half of the freak back-to-back int's for touchdowns, I thought he was on par with Thigpen. Perhaps he should be getting TT's reps already.

Edited by madtowntobuffalo

Merriman would've been due a base salary of $4 million for this season, with $3 million of that guaranteed if he had been released before the season began because of injury or salary-cap reasons.

So the 3 million rotoworld mentioned is guaranteed but not for skill. So they're free of it without paying him.

And cap wise, they save around 5 million all being told, so that's not bad at all.

I think that's around the figure I calculated. I think I hear Andy and Byrdman rubbing their hands together.