"Prosperity is shared"

Gary M

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a huge problem with the notion of birthright citizenship. Everyone should be exposed to a citizenship test the day the turn 18 if they would like to enjoy the benefits of our social system.

And if they have a developmental disability?

And if they don't but they say they do?

Okay, then let's pretend they were 2 days old when they got here.

Born here citizen, not born here not citizen. Is that such a tough concept to understand?

:lol: :lol: :lol::worthy:

Oh and I was wearing a wife beater when I typed that (realized I forgot the poor white part of my heritage :oops: )

OK, the HUGE hole in your argument is that youre saying my kid really isnt a victim of a system now rigged against her (and me, as her parent) becuase "she has the opportunity to go somewhere else."

But why should she be forced to go somewhere else so an illegal immigrant can get the spot in her school of first choice? Thats been covered.

But the bigger issue is this....financial.

Why should illegal immigrants now be given a leg up financially over an American-born child....white, black or whatever?

OK, the HUGE hole in your argument is that youre saying my kid really isnt a victim of a system now rigged against her (and me, as her parent) becuase "she has the opportunity to go somewhere else."

But why should she be forced to go somewhere else so an illegal immigrant can get the spot in her school of first choice? Thats been covered.

Why should illegal immigrants now be given a leg up financially over an American-born child....white, black or whatever?

OOOOH, OOOOH, OOOOH Mr Kotter

Because, then Latinos will vote for Obama!!!

We're still talking about two different things -- which is undoubtedly my fault.

What you're saying about illegals is a political policy argument I am not trying to counter, support, or even discuss. I recognize what you're saying, I know it's an issue (a serious one) -- it's also something I have very different views on than probably most people on this board. But I also know that my own views on immigration policies are not actionable, thus I don't even bother getting into it.

What I'm saying, (and why I picked on your original quote about being a white, male Christain and thus being at the end of the dole line) is that the system has always been unfair. There will always be inequality of opportunity in this country (and world) because human beings by nature are judgemental. We live in a society that favors white, Christain males because our society was established by persecuted white, Christain males. This isn't a political statement. It's just how things are. And, as such, your daughter by nature of the way she looks, was born with a leg up financially on every other person of color in this country -- legal or illegal.

Again, this isn't your fault or the GOP's. I'm not trying to pin this on any political party. This is just the reality we live in. No one gets to pick the uterus they're born from. It's blind luck. So if the system we're born into is inherently rigged in your favor, I don't see the virtue in complaining that another group is getting help evening the odds. It in no way threatens you or your daughter's access to opportunities. Instead, those sorts of complaints -- to me -- come off as ridiculous. It makes you look weak. It makes you look like the guy who wins the lottery then complains about the taxes. Does helping minorities level the playing field limit oportunities for other people? Absolutely. But those people, people like your daughter, have more oportunities to begin with.

Is it fair? Nope. But then again, life has never been fair and never will be.

We're still talking about two different things -- which is undoubtedly my fault.

What you're saying about illegals is a political policy argument I am not trying to counter, support, or even discuss. I recognize what you're saying, I know it's an issue (a serious one) -- it's also something I have very different views on than probably most people on this board. But I also know that my own views on immigration policies are not actionable, thus I don't even bother getting into it.

What I'm saying, (and why I picked on your original quote about being a white, male Christain and thus being at the end of the dole line) is that the system has always been unfair. There will always be inequality of opportunity in this country (and world) because human beings by nature are judgemental. We live in a society that favors white, Christain males because our society was established by persecuted white, Christain males. This isn't a political statement. It's just how things are. And, as such, your daughter by nature of the way she looks, was born with a leg up financially on every other person of color in this country -- legal or illegal.

Again, this isn't your fault or the GOP's. I'm not trying to pin this on any political party. This is just the reality we live in. No one gets to pick the uterus they're born from. It's blind luck. So if the system we're born into is inherently rigged in your favor, I don't see the virtue in complaining that another group is getting help evening the odds. It in no way threatens you or your daughter's access to opportunities. Instead, those sorts of complaints -- to me -- come off as ridiculous. It makes you look weak. It makes you look like the guy who wins the lottery then complains about the taxes. Does helping minorities level the playing field limit oportunities for other people? Absolutely. But those people, people like your daughter, have more oportunities to begin with.

Is it fair? Nope. But then again, life has never been fair and never will be.

I really need to know what advantage do I have as I white christian male have over a black jewish female? I'm dying to find out so I can take advantage of my preferred status.

I really need to know what advantage do I have as I white christian male have over a black jewish female? I'm dying to find out so I can take advantage of my preferred status.

Are you implying there aren't any societal benefits of being a member of the majority?

EDIT: Again, not talking politics. Talking real-life.

Edited by tgreg99

Are you implying there aren't any societal benefits of being a member of the majority?

EDIT: Again, not talking politics. Talking real-life.

Yes I'm implying that. And not only that I'm asking for you to list what those benefits might actually be.