Comedy Central Roast of Roseanne

Rico

I saw this last night, it was one of the better roasts in a while. I had read that they were going to tone these down to be like the old Dean Martin roasts, but I thought it was as raunchy as ever. I'm not a big Roseanne fan, but she certainly can bring the smack. Gilbert Gottfried brought the house down (as usual), Jeffrey Ross was pretty funny as well dressed up like JoePa :lol: . Seth Green was unfortunately probably the weakest, I thought he kinda bombed. I was getting tired of Seth McFarlane as roast master, & thought Jane Lynch did a decent job in his place. The very end was wild, when Roseanne sang the last verse of the National Anthem... if that was indeed her like I think it was & not lip-syncing to someone else, she didn't sound half bad this time.

I saw this last night, it was one of the better roasts in a while. I had read that they were going to tone these down to be like the old Dean Martin roasts, but I thought it was as raunchy as ever. I'm not a big Roseanne fan, but she certainly can bring the smack. Gilbert Gottfried brought the house down (as usual), Jeffrey Ross was pretty funny as well dressed up like JoePa :lol: . Seth Green was unfortunately probably the weakest, I thought he kinda bombed. I was getting tired of Seth McFarlane as roast master, & thought Jane Lynch did a decent job in his place. The very end was wild, when Roseanne sang the last verse of the National Anthem... if that was indeed her like I think it was & not lip-syncing to someone else, she didn't sound half bad this time.

Agree McFarland kinda stunk up the last few roasts......they might as well make Jeff Ross the host or that Schumer chick she killed it

I actually disagree about the show overall and with the Jane Lynch and Seth McFarlane comments. I thought Jane was very vanilla and all her material lacked timing and sounded like she was reading jokes someone else wrote off a screen. None of it had the timing of a stand up comic and much of it was quite predictable material. She did have a couple good spots, but overall, I thought Seth and Lisa Lampanelli have done quite a bit better on past roasts. I actually thought Seth McFarlane was one of the better roast masters.

The roast as a whole was not bad, but I thought the roasts of Flavor Flav, Hasselhoff, Pam Anderson, Larry the Cable Guy, Charlie Sheen, and Trump were better. There were better comics as a whole on those shows and much better material. Even Jeff Ross had what I thought was his weakest roast last night in comparisons to his other performances on the other ones.

Highlights of the night I think were: Anthony Jeselnik I thought was great (and just saw him live last month and he was actually hilarious) and for once I thought Gottfried was finally funny. His past roasts were ehhhhh but last night he did a decent job. Amy Shumer and Wayne Brady did a decent job and Roseanne hereself I thought was pretty good too as well.

My biggest gripe was that so many people used the exact same jokes last night and talked about the same few people. Almost all the jokes were about menopause, Carrie Fishers drug use, and Jane Lynch being a lesbian. Almost all the jokes (besides the 3 stand up comedians) felt like they were wrote for them and they were just reading a script. It reminded me of jokes being told by presenters at the Academy Awards...no timing, just reading other peoples so so jokes.

I would give it a B- overall.

Agree McFarland kinda stunk up the last few roasts......they might as well make Jeff Ross the host or that Schumer chick she killed it

Ross was the roast master when they started doing these, wasn't he? I wonder why they ever moved from that.

Hot "naturally" or hot because of surgery... She's gotta be pushing 60... She looks unrecognizable... Just saying... Has she had "work" done?

And your point is???

Ross was the roast master when they started doing these, wasn't he? I wonder why they ever moved from that.

Yea i thought he used to be......I would be just fine without MacFarland or Lynch really........different strokes for diff folks.....macfarland is just too something for me.....not sure what the correct descriptive word would be.....

I thought Jane was very vanilla and all her material lacked timing and sounded like she was reading jokes someone else wrote off a screen.

She was. Comedy Central writers do most of the work. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a lot of the work for many of the roasters as well.

I heard her say as much on a local radio station interview last week talking about the upcoming roast.

Edited by Joe Miner

She was. Comedy Central writers do most of the work. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a lot of the work for many of the roasters as well.

I heard her say as much on a local radio station interview last week talking about the upcoming roast.

its true, I believe most of the jokes in the roast from the non-comedians are all written by the comedians themselves, or by writers from the roast.

I have gotten tired of the roast recently, they are all the same, they spend about as much time or more roasting the other guests then they do the actual person being roasted, and most of the jokes are more for the shock value then something funny (which I find is the main part of the newer comedians routines, its all about the shock value then coming up with a clever joke)

Did anyone catch Jeffrey Ross's new show "The Burn"? Basically comedy central trying to expand the roasts to a weekly 30 minute show.

its true, I believe most of the jokes in the roast from the non-comedians are all written by the comedians themselves, or by writers from the roast.

I have gotten tired of the roast recently, they are all the same, they spend about as much time or more roasting the other guests then they do the actual person being roasted, and most of the jokes are more for the shock value then something funny (which I find is the main part of the newer comedians routines, its all about the shock value then coming up with a clever joke)

Did anyone catch Jeffrey Ross's new show "The Burn"? Basically comedy central trying to expand the roasts to a weekly 30 minute show.

How many shows can be on TV that is basically a comedian making fun of news/current events?

SNL Weekend Update

The Soup

Tosh.0

Daily Show

Colbert Report

The Burn

Did I miss any?

Aren't 4 of those on Comedy Central now? Good grief, get some new ideas for shows already.

Oh yeah, they are definitely jokes written for them (with a few ballsy enough to insert a few of their own). My point was, her timing was so bad it sounded like she was just reading other peoples work. Truth is, a lot comics, including guys like Daniel Tosh on Tosh.O (who is one of my favorite standup comics long before Tosh.O...go see him live!) have writers. The difference is that these guys can make the material their own and have the timing to deliver it as well as improv. Jane doesnt have the delivery, timing, and stand up talent needed to be an entertaining host for a roast was my point.

I get some of the guests wont be true stand up comedians, and thats fine. But the host really should have some kind comedic timing given they speak throughout the night, and she just was boring in that regard IMO.