Stevie asserting himself as a team leader...

eball

Really good to hear the comments from Stevie Johnson after last night's practice; for those of you who missed them they're here.

It is nice to see Stevie stepping up and taking responsibility in front of the media. Part of maturing and becoming a leader is having the confidence to take your teammates to the woodshed if performance isn't what it should be.

Looking forward to what we see out of the 1st string offense next Friday night.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad someone started this thread.

There is a line that especially draws my attention, going something like, "we can't be the old Bills...we've got to stop saying we can win so many games in a row, and start talking like Champions, acting aggressive and dominant."

I've been writing posts on here for a good 4 or 5 years, and one of the themes my writing always revolves around is the state of mind, or attitude, of the coaches and players. I believe players have to go about the whole thing, practice, preparation, but especially playing on the field, in a particular way to be successful. You see it in New England's players eyes and faces when they come down here during a season in which they're like finishing 13-3 and we're going 6-10, and despite that, they act as if we're the team that is going to stop all of it for them, and they get a lead, and then they don't take out their starters, they keep nailing in the nails, crushing us - THEY DON'T WANT TO JUST WIN; THEY WANT TO DOMINATE.

That is one of the reasons Bills fans have been so disappointed year in and out, and why the players have seemed soft. When you hear the guys talking about setting their sights for just trying to get into the postseason, or improve from last year and if we make the playoffs, we could make a run, etc. It's like they BELIEVE they aren't going to win the superbowl, but if everything falls their way, they might make the postseason. I'd rather they be dellusional and go out there and think they're going to beat every team they face, and they're going to be dominant, and their sights are on GREATNESS, not just good.

It's what we've all been waiting for - a team that exudes a sort of expectation, and it is expecting to be great. The Pats have tasted greatness - in their 16 game winning season, in their superbowls, so when they go out and expect greatness, they aren't just thinking they'll be unstoppable for a game; they're idea of achieving greatness is becoming a team that kind of is almost perfect, that no one can stand up to - it lasts more than a game - it's a season long, decade long, continual MOTIVATOR for them.

We need that kind of VISION. I'm glad someone on this team recognizes it and is talking like it.

Edited by sllib olaffub

I'm having a difficult time seeing this as leadership for some reason. Lotsa people been sayin' lotsa things for lotsa years now. Stevies job is to catch the ball and score touchdowns. Until I see him dominating his position in the league, as he claims the Bills should do as a team, he's just another talker. This is the same guy that was moping after getting the bench questioning whether we wanted him in Buffalo, dropping game winners and getting costly penalties. Now I know he played through injury and he's a fan fave, but weren't we laughing when (I think it was Donte) expressed these very sentiments a few years back?

My suggestion to Stevie for right now is to shut his mouth (ala FJax) and play football. If we are talented enough and catch a coupla breaks, maybe something good happens this year. But ultimately, we have to have some of the best players in the league to be one of the best teams in the league.

I'm having a difficult time seeing this as leadership for some reason. Lotsa people been sayin' lotsa things for lotsa years now. Stevies job is to catch the ball and score touchdowns. Until I see him dominating his position in the league, as he claims the Bills should do as a team, he's just another talker. This is the same guy that was moping after getting the bench questioning whether we wanted him in Buffalo, dropping game winners and getting costly penalties. Now I know he played through injury and he's a fan fave, but weren't we laughing when (I think it was Donte) expressed these very sentiments a few years back?

My suggestion to Stevie for right now is to shut his mouth (ala FJax) and play football. If we are talented enough and catch a coupla breaks, maybe something good happens this year. But ultimately, we have to have some of the best players in the league to be one of the best teams in the league.

I would estimate that Mario Williams, Fred Jackson, Eric Wood, Andy Levitre and Kyle Williams are all top-5 in the league at their position.

I mean no disrespect, but why the hell would you complain when one of the actual best (not Twitner) players speaks up and states what we should all want to hear? This is also during a year when the team should have a championship mentality. This is a team built to challenge for the top, not to flounder in mediocrity or worse. If the team doesn't act like that during every practice, every game, every play, then how is the winning culture supposed to spread?

I appreciate what he said and look forward to the execution of these words into action on Friday.

First receiver to record back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons in Bills history.....yeah, I think he has earned the right to be a vocal leader for this team (and demand more from his teammates).

This team has been nothing but talk for the past 12 seasons.

Talking like a winner is bull ****. It's time to shut the !@#$ up and play like a winner.

Of course, talk is talk - and often too much talk leads to trouble (as in Jets recent past) - but, I'm not talking about what the players are SAYING. I'm referring to their state of mind, their expectations. You shouldn't be in the NFL if you don't believe you can beat anyone. And, this is a totally NEW team - it is a new year, new players, and so when you say this team has been talking crap for 12 seasons, you are wrong. Those were different teams. Some of the same players (not many). My point was simply this: I don't want our players thinking they are on a squad that simply might learn to play well enough to win enough games to make a wildcard. I want these guys believing they can go out and, on defense, stop anyone, shut them down, and, on offense, score no matter what, enough to win. It is all about where they're at mentally - the words merely suggest what they're thinking.

I mean no disrespect, but why the hell would you complain when one of the actual best (not Twitner) players speaks up and states what we should all want to hear? This is also during a year when the team should have a championship mentality. This is a team built to challenge for the top, not to flounder in mediocrity or worse. If the team doesn't act like that during every practice, every game, every play, then how is the winning culture supposed to spread?

I appreciate what he said and look forward to the execution of these words into action on Friday.

Some people will never be happy until we win a super bowl.

I love Stevie's comments and I'm grateful that he's a bill for the next 5 seasons. Hopefully more.

First receiver to record back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons in Bills history.....yeah, I think he has earned the right to be a vocal leader for this team (and demand more from his teammates).

Then say it to your teammates. Otherwise, he's taking a chance that guys like us, who have heard all this before, will misinterpret his actions and words.

Donte guaranteed a playoff berth, which never materialized. Stevie has not made such a guarantee. he was upset after practice yesterday, in part how the practice ended with a miscommunication that led to an incompletion on the final play of the two-minute drill that closed practice.

and was also stewing about the game and how the Bills offense performed.

what Stevie said was relevant, because there have been too many times in the past when players didn't step up like this. i think it was an important statement to make after the dud the offense laid on thursday.

of course he's got to back that up. that's how things work. a little passion doesn't hurt, no?

jw

Then say it to your teammates. Otherwise, he's taking a chance that guys like us, who have heard all this before, will misinterpret his actions and words.

"guys like us"?! You mean the people who's opinion means little to nothing?

What could be the misinterpretation? That Stevie wants them to expect to be a winner?

Didn't chan say before last year that he expects to win every game? How did "guys like you" misinterpret this/that?