Stevie asserting himself as a team leader...

eball

Donte guaranteed a playoff berth, which never materialized. Stevie has not made such a guarantee. he was upset after practice yesterday, in part how the practice ended with a miscommunication that led to an incompletion on the final play of the two-minute drill that closed practice.

and was also stewing about the game and how the Bills offense performed.

what Stevie said was relevant, because there have been too many times in the past when players didn't step up like this. i think it was an important statement to make after the dud the offense laid on thursday.

of course he's got to back that up. that's how things work. a little passion doesn't hurt, no?

jw

:thumbsup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

I get what yer all sayin' and I'm on your side. But we can't keep saying "the time to talk is over" and then keep talking about how we didn't perform. I, and many of you can reflect back over the past decade or so and find these same comments from Greggo to London, to JP, etc... you name it. All I suggested is that Stevie for once NOT comment about it because it places him in the same category (for me).

Even if your team fell short of it's expectations for the game, it's preseason.

Is this his way of calling out certain players for their effort in the game? or is it they haven't had the right attitude during camp for the whole time, leading to the poor performance?

I'm also not saying he hasn't performed, but I'm also not anointing him god of the NFL when I can think off the top of my head a number of receivers who are just as good if not better... But I do love his work ethic and enthusiastic, youthful attitude. I think he will step up and let his play speak for itself. He is a great fit for the Bills and a nice story.

The team played like crap in the game and then practiced like crap after the game.

Do you want one of the highest-paid, most-visible players on the team to:

1) Express dissatisfaction with the performance, say it's not good enough, and that the team must play better?

or

2) Not say anything? (essentially act like Jauron)

The mechanism of calling out one's teammates in public can be an effective and necessary action. I don't understand the negativity towards Stevie on this one.

Maybe those people who don't want to hear players talk (because… talk is cheap?) shouldn't follow media accounts of the team.

I know Bills players and coaches have made boastful comments several times over the past 10+ years--- the difference in tone is clearly felt here, though, because it's not really "boastful" at all like Donte, Greggo, Fletcher and others.

Additionally, there is actually some impressive football on record that this group is building on. The boasts of the past were empty because there was no proof in previous years that the team had anything substantial to use as a foundation. The unwaveringly focused plan started with Buddy and Chan and is ultimately executed by the players. We haven't seen a stable solid through line like that in the organization's leadership since Polian and Butler were running the franchise.

Count me amongst those happy that Stevie's #13 is Buffalo Bills blue.

Edited by Punch

this is a wonderful thing, this guy gets it. he is percieved as probably the biggest "i wanna have fun" guy, but he obviously understands you have to put in the work. just another reason to love having stevie on your team.

Couldn't have said it better...Love me some Stevie

I get what yer all sayin' and I'm on your side. But we can't keep saying "the time to talk is over" and then keep talking about how we didn't perform. I, and many of you can reflect back over the past decade or so and find these same comments from Greggo to London, to JP, etc... you name it. All I suggested is that Stevie for once NOT comment about it because it places him in the same category (for me).

Even if your team fell short of it's expectations for the game, it's preseason.

Is this his way of calling out certain players for their effort in the game? or is it they haven't had the right attitude during camp for the whole time, leading to the poor performance?

I'm also not saying he hasn't performed, but I'm also not anointing him god of the NFL when I can think off the top of my head a number of receivers who are just as good if not better... But I do love his work ethic and enthusiastic, youthful attitude. I think he will step up and let his play speak for itself. He is a great fit for the Bills and a nice story.

you might get what i'm saying, but i don't get what you're saying.

-- you suggest Stevie shouldn't comment? so, as a team leader, when asked about the team's poor performance, he should say what?

nothing: how would that come off?

say they played well: right that's a winner, and i'm sure there would be those criticizing him for saying that, eh?

or give his side of the story, and say the team needs to play better whether it's preseason or practice because the regular-season opener is only weeks away.

-- where did he call out players for their effort? he said they have to play better.

-- where did he say anything about attitude during camp? he said they have to start performing up to their expectations, no excuses.

-- who's annointed him god? who's suggested he's among the NFL's elite receivers (there are only six or seven of those, which is what makes them "elite," and he's not yet among them and may never be, who knows?)

geez.

jw

Then say it to your teammates. Otherwise, he's taking a chance that guys like us, who have heard all this before, will misinterpret his actions and words.

I'm sure Stevie walked right by Fitz and went straight to the media :rolleyes:

I'm glad he said something to the media. It puts the entire team on alert. "Hey guys, not only do I expect it but so do the fans and media now, show them the baby"

Not everyone knocked whitner when he said that. I loved that somebody had some fire in their belly to win. Stevie has made plenty of plays and is a leader on the team.

Li'l Donte's playoff promise and Stevie's comments are night and day. madtowntobuffalo is simply out to lunch on this one.

When Donte predicted playoffs there was no offseason buzz, no feeling the team was on the cusp of something special. It came across as hollow, and it didn't particularly challenge anyone.

Stevie, as a proven and respected veteran, simply stood up in front of the media and said he wasn't satisfied and the team needs to be better. He has earned the right through his play to say it. Fewer things carry more weight in a locker room than having to answer to the vets.

This is nothing against SJ, I'm just calling out the OP's over-exaggeration of these comments. These things are said EVERY DAY in EVERY locker room across the NFL. To suggest that these are unusually strong or different in any way just comes across as a little silly to me. Really, I don't wanna get into a urinating match. Sorry for the trouble.

This is nothing against SJ, I'm just calling out the OP's over-exaggeration of these comments. These things are said EVERY DAY in EVERY locker room across the NFL. To suggest that these are unusually strong or different in any way just comes across as a little silly to me. Really, I don't wanna get into a urinating match. Sorry for the trouble.

Best way to avoid that is to stop entering a room with your *** out.

ok, now you're merely looking for trouble. these are the types of comments that weren't said in Buffalo for far too long. in 2009, when the Bills starters failed to score a touchdown in four preseason games, the Bills pretended there was nothing wrong, and things would work themselves out by the time the season began.

and then, a week later, Dick Jauron pushed the panic button by firing his offensive coordinator.

puhleeze, the fact that the Bills are unhappy with their performance in the first preseason game should be yet another indication that the expectations are higher outside and inside that locker room. and a little pressure and reminder doesn't hurt. and it's important that the players not only realize that, but voice it.

sure, they've still got to do it, but what you suggest is pure poke-in-the-eye baloney. and that you continue down this road of passive aggressiveness of "wha? me say somehting?" is pure farce.

jw

ok, now you're merely looking for trouble. these are the types of comments that weren't said in Buffalo for far too long. in 2009, when the Bills starters failed to score a touchdown in four preseason games, the Bills pretended there was nothing wrong, and things would work themselves out by the time the season began.

and then, a week later, Dick Jauron pushed the panic button by firing his offensive coordinator.

puhleeze, the fact that the Bills are unhappy with their performance in the first preseason game should be yet another indication that the expectations are higher outside and inside that locker room. and a little pressure and reminder doesn't hurt. and it's important that the players not only realize that, but voice it.

sure, they've still got to do it, but what you suggest is pure poke-in-the-eye baloney. and that you continue down this road of passive aggressiveness of "wha? me say somehting?" is pure farce.

jw

BTW you don't look right as Robin so I changed my avatar to a photo of you. OK?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage