Sign Usain Bolt ?

bmur66

Tony Dungy said on TV today that he thought maybe Bolt could learn to play WR in the NFL. But I think Usain probably makes more money doing what he's doing.

Anyway, if he did come to the NFL, shouldn't he be a Charger?

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Dungy said on TV today that he thought maybe Bolt could learn to play WR in the NFL. But I think Usain probably makes more money doing what he's doing.

Anyway, if he did come to the NFL, shouldn't he be a Charger?

I can't see a pro sprinter making more $ than a pro football player(without googling it). Im sure he's treated like a king in his country though.

I can't see a pro sprinter making more $ than a pro football player(without googling it). Im sure he's treated like a king in his country though.

He's far from an average case. I'm sure he's making a fortune. An absolute killing. Way more than an unproven wr.

We should sign him and have Jamarcus Russell throw 200 yard bombs.

Ok a few things that gets boiling about this. First of all I'm a former sprinter and hurdler in high school. I was good enough to get a scholarship but never did any promoting of myself for recruiting. I had friends that were similar levels to myself that recieved full scholarships to Kent. I am telling you this because I tend to keep pretty close to track news as much as possible but have lost it a little after the last Olympics. With that all said, track and field used to be considered an amature sport because money was not involved unless you were REALLY good and could demand apperance fees. At which point you could no longer recieve any scholarship money while in school and since most of these KIDS are so young, they are still in school. One of my friends who was the state champ twice recieved a full ride to Kent. After school he was "hired" by Nike to be part of thier personal team (don't remember the name of thier team) for a run at the Beijing Olympics. He didn't make.

Usain Bolt is so famous he generates sell outs no matter where he goes. Forbes says he demands anywhere from $200-350k per event but it's probably more than that honestly. Forbes has also said that he is in the range of $20m a year in apperance fees alone. That is on the same level as the Bradys, Mannings, Brees' of the NFL and he's been making that almost instantly after his Beijing run and will probably be able to demand even more now. Then you have to throw in his contract endorsments, which Forbes also said was the highest paid contract in sports history. I think something like $32m. It says 4 years, but that can't be $8m a year because some of the NFLers and NBAers currently make more than that now. Again, he will probably demand even more money than that now after this Olympics.

Usain Bolt makes much, much more doing what he's doing now than he would ever make as a NFL WR.

Ok. That's my part on why he would never play in the NFL. Now in to the thoughts about how fast he is vs football players. Bolt is an absolute freak of nature. For those of you that saw the breakdown of how many steps he takes and where he rates vs 100m champs of past you can clearly see how much of a difference it is. Carl Lewis ran a 3.9 second 40m. That's more than 40yards forthose of you that don't know that a yard is 3ft and a meter is 3.5ft. Carl Lewis would have wiped the floor with just about any football player to ever play the game (including the likes of Darrel Green) and He is NOWHERE NEAR being in Usain Bolts league. For those that say he has a slow start you have no clue what your saying. With cleats on, on the grass, he would blow by anyone in the league by 10 yards within the first 40yards downfield. No one would be close. 10 yards would be one hell of an open reciever and would probably make the young Randy Moss look covered. With that all said, in no way do I think he could play football. He would still have to get open, run routes, deal with coverages and cuts. It wouldn't look pretty. But for those people to claim that TJ or Brooks or anyone else for that matter could keep up with him, YOUR CRAZY!!! And for those of you counting, .02 seconds is probably the equivlant of about 5m or more. That's a lot of ground when your talking about distance from a defender, or in this case, another sprinter. It would give Bolt enough room to coast and kook at the scoreboard and fling his arms in the air with 10 yards to go and still not be close to anyone.

Football is completely different than track but you guys need to wake up of you don't think that Bolt is the fastest person you will probably ever see in your life and what he did will probably never be done before ever. The 200m record stood longer than any record in the track when Michael Johnson hit a 19.32 and Bolt CRUSHED that record by more than a .10 of a second. Before the 19.32 it was 19.76 to give you an idea of how much of a difference it is.

That's all. My love for track and the ultimate personal performance is done. Just had to give my .02.

You do realize we already have a track star on the Bills...TJ Graham. He's probably only a few tenths of a second slower than Bolt, and he knows how to play WR

PTR

And possibly as quick or quicker in short ranges/shuttles

Edited by NoSaint

Or Iranian weightlifters. Hey, how about Holly Mangold?

PTR

Yeah! They can be linebackers. Unbeatable. And Michael Phelps is the greatest athlete ever (I mean how can you argue, he has all those medals), so there has to be a place for him somewhere. Quarterback maybe? Would make sense...

I'll say it: "Dream Team"

Edited by Matthews' Bag