Sign Usain Bolt ?

bmur66

:thumbsup:

On your long rant, a quick correction. The 200 was one of the longest standing records when Bolt broke it, but Rudisha broke Coe's 800 record the other day, and that stood for 30 years.

I agree with the basis of your post, as a track coach and former D-III decathlete/hurdler/sprinter. Bolt's starts suck compared to guys that are still faster than Darrell Green or Rod Woodson two track stars amongst the fastest ever on the turf. However, his "slow" starts are still faster acceleration wise than 99.9% of NFL'ers with possible exception to CJ2k.

cmon man it was not coe's record!!

i'll cut you slack because i know you're young (weretn you hurdling for brockport just a few years ago??)

but....

kipketer broke coes record

rudisha broke kipketers record.

rudisha for all his awesomeness has only run .2 seconds faster than kipketer did in 1997.

2 tenths of a second.

there is one more diamond league meet and i personally think the record will drop by another 6 or 7 tenths, but still...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the opinion. I don't disagree but I don't see it the same way as you. That's the great thing about sports. Everyone feels and experiences things differently. I can't take away the fact that football players and hockey players are very physical and beat up. But I can tell you that what Usain Bolt is doing is one of the greatest feats in the history of man.

I agree. But it still seems to me that Bolt has never run as fast as he really can. I'm talking about the Olympics--the only meet where anyone is really watching. He has not been pushed by any other sprinter in these olympics and I think he's laying off after he pulls away in every race.

It's incredible. But he needs to lay off the "I am a legend" nonsense immediately after he crosses the line--especially after the 4x100 last night. That's a team effort.

Yeah, every 4 years you're a legend. We get it.

I do agree with you to some extent but FWIW and this is mostly guessing, there's a greater chance to die on the track than in football. Injuries are probably just the same as well. I've messed up my ankle for life and without having a doctor look at them I can fell you I will have knee problems when I get older. My knees click every time i walk up stairs. And I only ran track thoughout highschool. Roger Kindom, former WR Holder and Olympic Champion in the 110HH, I guarantee has had more knee surgeries than most football teams combined. Ever pole vaulted and had a pole snap in the middle of the vault? It doesn't feel good to head into the box upsidedown from 12ft in the air. I'm sure I've had concussions from track but nobody worried about that sort of thing back then. Injuries are injuries no matter what sport. Physical activities can lead to injuries that can change your life no matter if your running on a track or getting hit by Ray Lewis.

As far as thinking more during a football game or strategy, there's defenately that in track and field but your right, it doesn't compare. I'll give you that. Just don't think it doesn't effect track athletes at all. Next time you watch a mile run and watch a guy who's in first the entire race lose it on the last 100m. That all strategy. Incorrectly by the guy losing the lead and on the money by the guys passing him on the last straight.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. NFL football is the greatest sport in the world IMO. Just have to stick up for track a little.

:lol: That is some funny stuff! An old girlfriend was a ballet dancer. 13 knee surgeries. I see what you mean. :lol:

:lol: That is some funny stuff! An old girlfriend was a ballet dancer. 13 knee surgeries. I see what you mean. :lol:

That impossible!!! A Ballet dancer could never get injured because Joey Porter is not tackling her every time she enters a competition.

Naw, really though. I bet after everytime she had surgery she got back into it and still competed or at least tried to. Apparently that's not courage to some people.

Cant we all just get along here and agree to disagree ? Calling someone an idiot basically screams out

"I have run out of adjectives, nouns and pronouns and so I now resort to name calling".

Nanny nanny booboo.

I get along with just about everyone on this board and in life in general. I can argue this all day long. Have no oroblem with it as long as it's a general common sense argument. He simply thinks the only way to have courage in sports is to be run down by a 250lb linebacker or stepping in front of a slapshot on the ice. I can't argue with someone that thinks theyvare right all the time and there is no way to change thier views. Nobody is ever right, except maybe Chuck Norris. Anyone who can't change thier views or even entertain them ate simply being ignorant and naive. With that said, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong but to come out and say that courage is better measured when large men are running you down is idiotic. My apologies for calling someone an idiot. I was in the wrong.

I agree. But it still seems to me that Bolt has never run as fast as he really can. I'm talking about the Olympics--the only meet where anyone is really watching. He has not been pushed by any other sprinter in these olympics and I think he's laying off after he pulls away in every race.

It's incredible. But he needs to lay off the "I am a legend" nonsense immediately after he crosses the line--especially after the 4x100 last night. That's a team effort.

Yeah, every 4 years you're a legend. We get it.

Ya Weo. I agree. I don't think he's run as fast as he can either. Seems to let up on races quite often or start to showboat before he's even done with the race. I think as time goes on he may get a little more competition from his Jamaican team mates. This could help him or hurt him. Well find out in Rio in 4 years I guess.

As far as his egotistical comments and actions. I see that as just about anyone on the football field that smack talks or celebrates after a touchdown. When your at the top in competition you kinda have to get like that a little. Psychologically it works against your opponents too.

Just watching An interview the other day ibsaw someone say that when UB steps onto the track even in practice almost everyone stops and just watches him. Reminds me of the guy I ran against in high school. 2x state champ. Everyone knew he was going to win. And he made it look so easy like he never had to practice. I can't speak for everyone but most people automatically assumed we were running for 2nd place every time. Until I nearly beat him I never thought I had a chance. He just had that power over us. I can only imagine that Bolt uses that. Jokes around, has fun, shows people that he can beat you without even being serious.

I get along with just about everyone on this board and in life in general. I can argue this all day long. Have no oroblem with it as long as it's a general common sense argument. He simply thinks the only way to have courage in sports is to be run down by a 250lb linebacker or stepping in front of a slapshot on the ice. I can't argue with someone that thinks theyvare right all the time and there is no way to change thier views. Nobody is ever right, except maybe Chuck Norris. Anyone who can't change thier views or even entertain them ate simply being ignorant and naive. With that said, I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong but to come out and say that courage is better measured when large men are running you down is idiotic. My apologies for calling someone an idiot. I was in the wrong.

Now thats a true man who can admit a wrong. Props to you sir !

Some of Bolt's egotistical nonsense is just cultural and personality. He was raised in an environment where maybe he had to mouth off alot about his accomplishements and ability. We see it out of some athletes in this country too. You'd think at this elite level he would put it to bed. Everyone knows he's the best. It must be pretty cool though to wake up in the morning and think to yourself "hey, i'm the fastest human being in the history of the world". I mean that is legendary status... but it will be broken someday. They always are.

Randy Moss:

6'4", 210 lbs, really fast

Usain Bolt

6'5", 200 lbs, even faster

just saying..

The guy physically looks like Terrell Owens in his prime- tall, ridiculous muscular definition, and an ego!

Interestingly, Costas and Al Michaels touched on this yesterday during the Olympic wrap-up and with Michaels saying he'd like to see Bolt try out and cited some past examples of sprinters that made it in the NFL. Costas said that he made too much money a year and didn't need to get hit. I agree with Bob on this one.

To get back on track (sorry for the pun)... Bolt isn't built like some of those wispy long distance runners. He's got some muscle. But does he have good peripheral vision to pick his way through a defense? Good hand-eye control to catch the ball? Etc.?

As for money, Forbes says Bolt made $20 million over the past 12 months.

As for interest, Bolt says he wants to play soccer for Manchester United.

Bolt will never play in the NFL but it could have been a very interesting experiment.

Interestingly, Costas and Al Michaels touched on this yesterday during the Olympic wrap-up and with Michaels saying he'd like to see Bolt try out and cited some past examples of sprinters that made it in the NFL. Costas said that he made too much money a year and didn't need to get hit. I agree with Bob on this one.

Agree.. unless he grew up loving American football, i can't imagine why he would entertain the idea? nothing but joint and ligament injuries, concussions, jammed/broken fingers/bones, etc... Why would you want that if you make millions anyway?!?

Edited by zow2

Glad this is getting some press, as my gf and I were lol'ing about it last night...

Anyone else catch the female assistant eye-ballin' Bolt BIG TIME!?!?! http://www.collegehu...in-bolt-the-eye

And with all due jealousy and envy, Bolt celebrated his victory in his dorm room... with some of the Swedish Female Handball team!

http://www.telegraph...dball-team.html

WAITAMMINIT!!

Swedish...female...HANDBALL...team?!?!?!?

Man, yet another reason why I would like to visit Sweden!

I do agree with you to some extent but FWIW and this is mostly guessing, there's a greater chance to die on the track than in football. Injuries are probably just the same as well. I've messed up my ankle for life and without having a doctor look at them I can fell you I will have knee problems when I get older. My knees click every time i walk up stairs. And I only ran track thoughout highschool. Roger Kindom, former WR Holder and Olympic Champion in the 110HH, I guarantee has had more knee surgeries than most football teams combined. Ever pole vaulted and had a pole snap in the middle of the vault? It doesn't feel good to head into the box upsidedown from 12ft in the air. I'm sure I've had concussions from track but nobody worried about that sort of thing back then. Injuries are injuries no matter what sport. Physical activities can lead to injuries that can change your life no matter if your running on a track or getting hit by Ray Lewis.

As far as thinking more during a football game or strategy, there's defenately that in track and field but your right, it doesn't compare. I'll give you that. Just don't think it doesn't effect track athletes at all. Next time you watch a mile run and watch a guy who's in first the entire race lose it on the last 100m. That all strategy. Incorrectly by the guy losing the lead and on the money by the guys passing him on the last straight.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. NFL football is the greatest sport in the world IMO. Just have to stick up for track a little.

I can agree with what you are saying in an overall sense; any athletic event or participation can cause injury. Heck, simple jogging causes injuries to alot of people (weight pounding on joints like knees, hips, ankles, etc), so logically if you up the ante (speed, intensity), and frequency (repeated practice) it stands to reason that one can get hurt easier.

But you've got admit, however, that running full-speed into Ray Lewis and Haloti Ngata is not a one-and-done type of thing. You get up to do it again. And then again. And again. Sometimes, 20 times in a single game. For 16 weeks. Practices. Games. Pre-season. Not mentioning possible playoffs, when stakes are raised even higher.

I do think it foolish to believe only football and hockey qualify as injury-producing sports and therefore the only ones worthy of praise; but I also deem it foolish to think that other sports carry the same risk of injury as playing football.