Interesting tidbit regarding Wannstedt.

The Bills DC will be in the pressbox on gameday where he always has been as a DC with such teams as Dallas, Oklahoma State, etc.

What are your thoughts on that??

I happen to think that that is very wise. He will be able to see how the opposing offense sets their formations much better from above than on the sideline. He becomes much more of a matchup type coach from the pressbox perspective.

This is where I think he will prove to be the most valuable. He has a lot of NFL experience as a DC, and as a result, has learned how to best utilize his defensive personnel. I think we will see a lot of specialized packages from him as a result.

I'm especially looking forward to Wanny matching wits with Belichick/Brady. It's extremely valuable to have a DC who has comparable NFL experience to that of Belichick.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a trade. You lose the hands on face to face and the intensity on the sideline.

Where he might catch the x's and o's a little better, he loses the human element a touch. He won't see wide eyes out of a guy overwhelmed or hear the passion in a guy he might feel shaky on.

Really I think this is six of one and a half dozen of the other. As long as the guys comfortable, that's probably your best bet.

Edited by NoSaint

I think it's a good thing for the all the reasons posted.

I might've been concerned about the lack of personal sideline contact with the players, but after seeing him practically flying all over the field at training camp in different players' ears between almost every rep, I'm sure the players already know what is expected. Hopefully, they won't need that face to face contact, and if they do, there are players and position coaches to do so. WIlson, Kyle, Barnett, and Kelsay are proven leaders, and word is Dareus and even Sheppard are quite vocal as well.

I think it's much more important to be able to see what the opposing offense is doing.........and then adjusting to it..............than being able to get in someone's face.

Like it has been said, the various position coaches will be on the sideline to continuously talk to the players. We need Wannstedt's expertise and experience to make the right defensive play calls and to find the right personnel matchups. Those are the things that will make the most difference.

i was just considering this too while posting upon another subject. Dave has a liitle bit of PASSION for the game and does not care to lose one bit.

Lets see how long it takes Wannstadt to run from the box to the field. To chew out someone for blown coverage. Sure he is older but i bet he is still Dave W.

Good problem to have.

It's a trade. You lose the hands on face to face and the intensity on the sideline.

Where he might catch the x's and o's a little better, he loses the human element a touch. He won't see wide eyes out of a guy overwhelmed or hear the passion in a guy he might feel shaky on.

Really I think this is six of one and a half dozen of the other. As long as the guys comfortable, that's probably your best bet.

Hopefully the position coaches will provide the players with solid one-on-one feedback and whatever motivation they need.

Hopefully the position coaches will provide the players with solid one-on-one feedback and whatever motivation they need.

It'll work out. On the sideline he'd still see the play and have the photos for breakdown, and guys up top watching. It's really no big difference either way.

One question - from up top can he get the plays direct into the ear of shep or does he have to have a go between? I don't 100% remember this rule.

He is a really passionate guy, he can be exciting. It will be interesting to see who he gets as his foot soldier on the sideline.

I'm wondering the same question - who's his main guy on the sideline?

For some reason the new Bills website makes it hard to look at the staff (plus it's super hard to find on the homepage - go look). The old site used to have a nice typical "Organization Chart" with the hierarchy and pictures. Now it's just a list...

Here's the direct link: http://www.buffalobills.com/about-us/front-office.html

Guess we'll know the answer in less than 24!

Appears that Giff Smith and Bob Sanders (former DC from Green Bay) will be on the field relaying Wannstedt's calls. Dave has a plan and he's comfortable with it.

Quote:

“I will be in the coach’s box,” said Wannstedt. ”That’s where I was all of the years at the University of Miami, Oklahoma State, Dallas and some of the other places. There is not a call happening that you are not on top of or involved with. I am kind of excited about it; We have great assistant coaches and a nice formula set on how we will communicate and get the information back and forth, which will work smooth.”

Wannstedt will presumably make use of both defensive line coach Giff Smith and linebackers coach Bob Sanders to deliver plays from the sideline. Sanders is a former defensive coordinator from his days in Green Bay."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/08/08/wannstedt-to-be-upstairs-on-game-day/

Maybe Debbie Driscoll [Executive Assistant (Head Coach)] will be in charge on sideline of bitching players out on side line for Wanny. It will bring whole new meaning to being 'B worded' out.

And the web staff should fall under the same cleanup model as front office and players but they have been under-performing as long as Bills but have not been improving.

This notion of being in a player's face during the game is way overrated. The DC doesn't have to do that anyway -- he's got position coaches.

Regardless, that's not the time and place for chewing somebody out. Honest mistakes just need a word or two. A player who's so brain dead he needs a lashing during the game from the DC is not going back in too soon for Chan's team anyway.

This notion of being in a player's face during the game is way overrated. The DC doesn't have to do that anyway -- he's got position coaches.

Regardless, that's not the time and place for chewing somebody out. Honest mistakes just need a word or two. A player who's so brain dead he needs a lashing during the game from the DC is not going back in too soon for Chan's team anyway.

Really that's not the core of what I was talking about at all.