removing tree stumps

Pete

I have many more tree stumps left to remove and it is time to work smarter. So I have been using a pick axe, loppers, and prybars to get the job done- and that is hard work. But I have been reading about another method which is more painless. You cut the stump down low, drill holes straight down in stump, pour fertilizer in holes, and wait 6 months. That sounds better to me.

So my question- how should I go about drilling down into the stump? A bigger drill bit makes for quicker result. I tried a 7/16 bit, and it snapped on 3rd stump. And I was thinking that perhaps I would be better off with a hammer drill. What would the best drill/bit combo be for drilling straight down into stump?

get a 'construction site fire barrel', cut out some of the bottom so it can easily slip over most stumps...ventilate the barrel, burn branches and twigs over the stump....drink beer around fire, work and fun rolled into one

I have many more tree stumps left to remove and it is time to work smarter. So I have been using a pick axe, loppers, and prybars to get the job done- and that is hard work. But I have been reading about another method which is more painless. You cut the stump down low, drill holes straight down in stump, pour fertilizer in holes, and wait 6 months. That sounds better to me.

So my question- how should I go about drilling down into the stump? A bigger drill bit makes for quicker result. I tried a 7/16 bit, and it snapped on 3rd stump. And I was thinking that perhaps I would be better off with a hammer drill. What would the best drill/bit combo be for drilling straight down into stump?

I am not an enviro nut... But where is the fertilizer gonna run off to?

If it is on a rock... Stump it low and leave it. Is that an option?

It will run off, some to a flower garden, some to my compost pile, some to grass. It won't be that much. My vegetable garden is organic and safe. I removed all the dirt off a large glacier rock and planted in rocks cavities. But there are a few stumps that are a B word to remove, and they are eyesores

I used stump-out last weekend. This fall, when it comes time to burn various yard waste (in my fire pit), I will also add some charcoal to the top of the stump, light it, and allow it to smolder away. Should be a grand old time.

I don't think that would be an option. The stumps(40+) are on a steep granite rock.

This solution can really hit the checkbook. But we had a similar situation and got it done with a big excavator, with a huge bucket. Cranes and cables can do it but requires pros, unless you have experience.

The burning the stump method was very slow, Especially if you can't burn for half the year. Quite frankly it sucks.