The Olympics Thread | London 2012

UConn James

Seeing all those smaller countries got me wondering in terms of percentage of athletes in regards to total population, who sent the most? Turns out it's the Cook Islands. Someone else already ran the data....

http://public.tableausoftware.com/shared/KPX8BXFPN?:display_count=yes

The US didn't even make the top 10, top 50, or top 100, ending up at #134.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing all those smaller countries got me wondering in terms of percentage of athletes in regards to total population, who sent the most? Turns out it's the Cook Islands. Someone else already ran the data....

I was wondering that too... I was thinking Leichtenstein? They only got 37,000 people and they sent 3 to the Olympics... But there was one more country with less population... I think about 9.7k? I forget the name... That is no bigger than the village I live in! But you are right with the Cook Islands.

Oh... I hated how they gave the US on the map a perspective when the other country was displayed... Wow...Way to dumb down NBC!

Stop Effing celebrating Muhamad Ali. He was a racist prick. He did more to divide people then put them together. Fraiser was better, anyway..

Did you hear the Costas tidbit where th IOC denied Israel's petition for another moment of silence? The IOC told them that the Munich murders were already honored numerous times. :-O

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

The US couldn't make the top 10, 50, etc.....we send more people home in qualifying that could beat alot of these athletes from the smaller countries.

I passed out/fell asleep sometime after Mr. Bean.

Work up to this analysis.

Can't say that I disagree with it much.

The red Chinese are simple automatons, doing their best to out-american America.

Right. That's a great observation.

While Bejing was artistic and beautiful --- what I remember most besides the guy running around the stadium facade to light the cauldron was the boxes filled with anonymous people that raised and lowered rhythmically and popped out botanical foliage, and the drums all beating in sync. It was artistic, it was beautiful. It emphasized the collective rather than the individual. But when you look at the waste sites, pollution and human rights abuses, its beauty was a bright shining lie.

You can appreciate that Doyle created an Opening that gave much more emphasis to the individual. The great Brit writers, the industrial barons (and the steel ring forging scene... that was really cool, looking back on it), the individual bands, forget the names but... the girl and boy, the highlighting of great British pop culture (James Bond). China had nothing to offer there. They invented so much stuff in civilization, they have so many people, but name a great Chinese individual with a worldwide cultural contribution. Name ONE. Last night was a statement of Who We Are, rather than a merely aestetic showcase. That was the contrast.

The English Tennis Club looks absolutely silly after watching Wimbledon for two straight weeks. The players aren't wearing white, the grass is striped, the ball boys (most of them seem like girls though) are wearing some weird combination of red and purple, the linesmen are wearing blue uniforms, and the stands are mixed with purple and the Wimbledon green.

It just makes me laugh. :lol:

The US couldn't make the top 10, 50, etc.....we send more people home in qualifying that could beat alot of these athletes from the smaller countries.

Well, I wasn't trying to make point, it was more curiosity. It was more amazing that with the number of athletes the US has, that they weren't higher on the list.

Now excuse me while I find that one Olympic event no one enters, and look up how to become a Cook Island resident.

---------------------------------------------------

Well, that didn't take long....

NBC blasted for not showing Opening Ceremony live

I've noticed even the events on right now are on tape delay. They showed Phelps qualifying swim after Yahoo already had the results posted.

Well, that didn't take long....

NBC blasted for not showing Opening Ceremony live

I've noticed even the events on right now are on tape delay. They showed Phelps qualifying swim after Yahoo already had the results posted.

I can live with the tape delay of the opening ceremony, but not showing the Phelps Lochte race live at 2:30 in the afternoon was absolutely absurd. It's fine if they want to show it in prime time, but they should show it live too. It's 2012. Tape delayed sporting events cannot happen.

I can live with the tape delay of the opening ceremony, but not showing the Phelps Lochte race live at 2:30 in the afternoon was absolutely absurd. It's fine if they want to show it in prime time, but they should show it live too. It's 2012. Tape delayed sporting events cannot happen.

I had to stop watching it. Everything was delayed and felt fake. The action was missing and all I could stomach watching was the archery this morning. That was pretty cool, last shot to win gold and he nails it.

I liked that too...also the women fencing...don't understand it but it was cool too watch....well...that and hot Italian chicks!

I had to stop watching it. Everything was delayed and felt fake. The action was missing and all I could stomach watching was the archery this morning. That was pretty cool, last shot to win gold and he nails it.

Right. That's a great observation.

While Bejing was artistic and beautiful --- what I remember most besides the guy running around the stadium facade to light the cauldron was the boxes filled with anonymous people that raised and lowered rhythmically and popped out botanical foliage, and the drums all beating in sync. It was artistic, it was beautiful. It emphasized the collective rather than the individual. But when you look at the waste sites, pollution and human rights abuses, its beauty was a bright shining lie.

You can appreciate that Doyle created an Opening that gave much more emphasis to the individual. The great Brit writers, the industrial barons (and the steel ring forging scene... that was really cool, looking back on it), the individual bands, forget the names but... the girl and boy, the highlighting of great British pop culture (James Bond). China had nothing to offer there. They invented so much stuff in civilization, they have so many people, but name a great Chinese individual with a worldwide cultural contribution. Name ONE. Last night was a statement of Who We Are, rather than a merely aestetic showcase. That was the contrast.

EDIT: Oooops... Nanker's article is the SI one... My bad...

So true.

Did you read the SI article about it. The author made a point about "dissent." The thing about this opening was that it may have been just too cerebral for many.

Also note... How much less of a budget... Was it 10 times less... And how many less people... Something 50 times less?

Wow... Damn you Freud!

Nope, not a sport. Sprint Kayak looks like the one I'll have to learn in the next 3 years to qualify.

How 'bout firing a weapon... ;-)

On a SATURDAY to boot!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

It was a mind boggling decision. I am still upset about it because I DVRed NBC thinking it would be on. Instead, I got Seacrest interviewing some gymnasts. :wallbash:

That interview was painful, too. Seacrest is not a horrible interviewer, not good either, but it was pointless.