Fitz comes out throwing as Bills open camp

bowery4

Yes, he's a backup...that ouptlays franchise starters like Sam Bradford.

PTR

Backups don't get paid $10 million per year either. So obviously the fooball people think he's capable of winning with this team or they wouldn't have paid him.

Edited by first_and_ten

Do any of you fitz detractors have a clue about football? it takes 22 guys to play good and not get injured to win games. Fitz won games with a crap 2009 team, he won games with crap 2010 team and took us to overtime with 3 playoff teams that year. He won 6 games last year with a decent team that got 7 key injuries and never had a pass rush to begin with. (and a retard of a defensive coordinator)

Just wait til this seasons over. I predict 10 wins and only the lamest here will still complain about fitz. The guy has two things missing since doug flutie last played here...balls and brains. Who cares if hes not perfect, hes a competitor whos smart enough to still improve. Not like TEdwards who had about half a nut, or Drew bledsoe who had half a brain, or even Doug flutie who had half a stature (sorry dougie)

Stop talking about Fitz, win or lose this year, he'll do his share. Its up to the D now.

Do any of you fitz detractors have a clue about football? it takes 22 guys to play good and not get injured to win games. Fitz won games with a crap 2009 team, he won games with crap 2010 team and took us to overtime with 3 playoff teams that year. He won 6 games last year with a decent team that got 7 key injuries and never had a pass rush to begin with. (and a retard of a defensive coordinator)

Just wait til this seasons over. I predict 10 wins and only the lamest here will still complain about fitz. The guy has two things missing since doug flutie last played here...balls and brains. Who cares if hes not perfect, hes a competitor whos smart enough to still improve. Not like TEdwards who had about half a nut, or Drew bledsoe who had half a brain, or even Doug flutie who had half a stature (sorry dougie)

Stop talking about Fitz, win or lose this year, he'll do his share. Its up to the D now.

I like your post, but if the Bills lose Fitz will take his share of the blame. It's the nature of the position. It comes with the job. Quarterbacks have to win or they get heat. It may or may not be fair but that's the way it is. I hope you're right about the 10 wins. Personally I think Fitz is more than capable of winning with a strong team around him. He's a competitor and is intelligent. His arm is not the strongest, but definately strong enough to get the job done. Hopefully his new coach will cause him to improve even more. I'm excited to see what happens.

Not for nothing but in Bills history there are only 4 QBs who have thrown 20 or more TDs 2+ times.

Jim Kelly - 7

Joe Ferguson - 4

Drew Bledsoe - 2

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2

There have only been 3 QBs to throw for 3k yards 2+ times

Jim Kelly - 8

Joe Ferguson - 2

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2

Fitzpatrick threw for the 3rd most yards in team history despite having no WRs and being broken the second half of the year and he trailed Kelly's best season by only 12 yards.

I know stats are irrelevant but lets make sure we put his accomplishments into some sort of historical context for the team.

Not for nothing but in Bills history there are only 4 QBs who have thrown 20 or more TDs 2+ times.

Jim Kelly - 7

Joe Ferguson - 4

Drew Bledsoe - 2

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2

There have only been 3 QBs to throw for 3k yards 2+ times

Jim Kelly - 8

Joe Ferguson - 2

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 2

Fitzpatrick threw for the 3rd most yards in team history despite having no WRs and being broken the second half of the year and he trailed Kelly's best season by only 12 yards.

I know stats are irrelevant but lets make sure we put his accomplishments into some sort of historical context for the team.

If you want historical context, then how about the fact that passing stats are up all over the league and the game has changed a lot since Kelly retired. I'm not knocking Fitzpatrick. I'm just saying it's really hard to compare stats from different eras.

Fitz won games with a crap 2009 team, he won games with crap 2010 team and took us to overtime with 3 playoff teams that

And Flutie won games with a crappy team

and

Rob Johnson won games with a crappy team

and

JP Losman won games with a crappy team

and

Trent Edwards won games with a crappy team

A fitz detractor is better then a fitz fanatic

and

and

and

no it's not.better. at all.

Fitz has his flaws but he is a leader. The team believes in him and he has already led a bunch of comebacks in the last 2 seasons. I'll take Fitz over any robo-QB with no heart.

PTR

that's pretty deep for a robot type.

I'll take a Fitz also, with a spritz of this crazy mechanical wildcat QB coach.

and

and

and

wow dumb post. Flutie won games with a great team. Bledsoe also had decent talent alot more than our 2009 and 2010 team. T edwards couldnt win at allin 2010, got benched in 2009 after 1 whole win with said team.

Fitz isnt comparable to losman or edwards. Way to totally miss the point and try to make an arguement that makes no sense. what was your point anyway? that if you win at all youre good? or that you suck? nevermind, dont answer

What is it that people here want Fitz to be? I think we all know who our QB is and we know he is not Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, or those QB's that set records. But, he is a QB who puts up solid numbers and before being injured and even a few times afterwards, looked like a QB who could get a Pro Bowl nod.

Fitz has a good year of confidence in himself and the most importantly he has a team who has a full year of confidence in him. We are a team.

If you want historical context, then how about the fact that passing stats are up all over the league and the game has changed a lot since Kelly retired. I'm not knocking Fitzpatrick. I'm just saying it's really hard to compare stats from different eras.

If we had a long lost of two timers since 1996 I'd agree with you more readily. Clearly passing is up. I don't look at this as proof of anything other than we finally have a QB who can at least hang around with other NFL QBs in the passing era. I don't see him throwing for 5k yards or 50 TDs but he wasn't very far off from 4k and regardless of era 4k yards is some quality work throwing the ball.

In 1991 (Kelly's best year) Dan Marino had 549 attempts for 3,970 yards and 25 TDs

Last year Fitzpatrick had 569 attempts for 3,832 yards and 24 TDs

Fitz threw way more picks (23 to 13)

It's admittedly far from a perfect comparison and I am in no way equating Fitz to Dan Marino in terms of talent - in this era Marino would be ungodly. But in terms of production the two years are pretty stinking close. What does this mean? Nothing other than we probably have the chance to compete at the QB position which has been rare in the post-Kelly era. We had about a year of good Bledsoe, a year of good Flutie and that's basically been it. It's refreshing.

I just hope he doesn't grow that stupid beard this year.

Ditto.

Also, Fitz will be tested early at the NYJ away opener. -So will Chan Gailey. I've said before that whatever happens this season, the blame/acolades belong to the coaching staff. Particularly the head coaching position.

I'm really encouraged by the things I'm reading and hearing about Fitz, too. I've been a Bills fan for life, but I've never been overly optimistic about Fitz. I like his character and intelligence, but until now he's shown me nothing but inconsistency and an inability to lead a team, over the course of a season, to the playoffs.

However - it should be noted that he's not had the best teams to work with. He's had inconsistent coaching, systems, and teammates. All in all, many QB's would not succeed having played in his shoes.

All that aside - what he does possess is intelligence - and he's used that to master this offense. He can make quick decisions, which also helps in this system. He will give it his all - that is something to respect and the team will rally around him. If he can improve his accuracy, limit his interceptions - I think we could see a few years of play reminiscent of Brad Johnson in Tampa when they won the SuperBowl (what I'm saying is a QB who seemed average rising to string together a few years of maybe top 12 QB production). He just might be in the right place at the right time. Now we've got a good O-line, which looks to be strong for years, and an excellent run game - and, I'd bet, we'll improve the WR corps next year - not to mention a promising Defense, all of which points to him NOT having to win games, but rather manage them.

Yes - I think it is Fitz's time here. What troubles me most, as I read the reviews of practices so far, is that it seems like if Fitz gets injured the Bills are in bad shape. I'm finding it hard to believe that Nix is willing to go into such an important season with as little insurance at the QB position as we have. Either Young has shown something more than he's been getting credit for, or they really are counting on Fitz staying healthy the whole year...

Yes - I think it is Fitz's time here. What troubles me most, as I read the reviews of practices so far, is that it seems like if Fitz gets injured the Bills are in bad shape. I'm finding it hard to believe that Nix is willing to go into such an important season with as little insurance at the QB position as we have. Either Young has shown something more than he's been getting credit for, or they really are counting on Fitz staying healthy the whole year...

An obvious point that all the Tools who like to puff themselves up by dissing on Fitz seem to miss, is that capable NFL quarterbacks aren't just waiting around on every corner waiting for a phone call. QB is tough, and there just aren't that many guys who can do it, and do it well, at the NFL level. Throw in a complex offense and a questionable OL that demands lightening-fast decisions and the number of QB who can do it gets smaller still.

As for Fitz health, he played all 16 games last year. Whether he stays healthy or not, depends in part on our line.

I for one think it's fairly likely Young will continue to improve. He's still learning our offense, and it's ack'd that it's a hard offense to learn. Nix says he's arriving early and staying late, and working with Fitz and Chan. He has an arm and physical skills, and where he's making mistakes it sounds like it's as much pressure from and alert play on the D as it is QB error (tipped balls, jumping the route). He's got the physical tools, he's also working on mechanical issues, and if he's able to get the offense down he should be good. We aren't counting on him to be ready Day 1, unless something dreadful happens, he'll be able to continue to learn after the season starts.

Thigpen sounds like he's just locking on to one receiver and throwing into obvious double coverage. Given that he's already had a year and an off season to learn the system, it sounds as though he simply wasn't taking the need to improve too seriously. Either that, or he can't.

Edited by Hopeful